Retention bracket needed.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
^^
For which HSF..?

it is the default HSF that comes with 955 BE. The board is ASUS
M4A78T-E. One of the grooves in the retention bracket that holds the clips of HSF is broken.

First i thought i need that bracket but after reading another review from another forum I think Thermalright AM2/AM2+/AM3 will be right for me.

But i do not know it is available in KOLKATA or not. i am also not habituated in online shopping.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
you better talk to azzu. he got himself a TX3. he broken or can be told that his retention bracket came off. so he must have got some kind of back plate or so.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
What HSF you get, make sure it is bolt-down, and not the dumb push-pin. Push-pin is useless.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
What HSF you get, make sure it is bolt-down, and not the dumb push-pin. Push-pin is useless.

that is what i am asking for . The retention bracket is holded by four screws with the backplate.What i want to know is : if i unscrew those four and remove the broken retention bracket along with the back plate what will be the exact replacement of that?

In Thermalright AMD Socket AM2 / AM3 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev.2 product they are giving a back plate, mounting bracket, spring loaded screws.

Thermalright AMD Socket AM2 / AM3 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev.2
1) what HSF is that given in the example?

2) Is it a bolt down OR dumb push-pin ?

3) Will the mounting bracket pass through the heat pipes of my HSF which comes with 955 BE proccy?

*techreport.com/r.x/phenom-ii-x4-955/stock-hsf.jpg

4)Can i get simply another retention module which can be screwed up with the mobo?

*techreport.com/r.x/am2-chipsets/socket.jpg

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
When you mount an OEM HSF, every thing related to the stock one will be removed. So that black bracket above will also be removed. The back plate will go at the back, and screwed on the top via the bracket. The HSF will be then screwed down.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
When you mount an OEM HSF, every thing related to the stock one will be removed. So that black bracket above will also be removed. The back plate will go at the back, and screwed on the top via the bracket. The HSF will be then screwed down.

not getting you fully.

OEM HSF means after market hsf(y/n)

my qns is can i get that black bracket only in the market? if yes, then i can screw the new bracket with the new backplate.

but, if it is not available what option is there then?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
not getting you fully.

OEM HSF means after market hsf(y/n)

my qns is can i get that black bracket only in the market? if yes, then i can screw the new bracket with the new backplate.

but, if it is not available what option is there then?

OEM HSF needs the retention bracket to be removed (not all). some comes with backplate. else one have to use the backplate the motherboard comes with.

the retention bracket was available in ebay. not sure if its still available.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Basically the OEM HSF will supply you with everything you need to mount it. Be it bracket/backplate/screws/pin outs.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
the retention bracket was available in ebay. not sure if its still available

what is the option if it is not?

Basically the OEM HSF will supply you with everything you need to mount it. Be it bracket/backplate/screws/pin outs.

SO buying HSF will give the required accessories. now suggest a OEM HSF (which requires either a black bracket or can be directly bolt down via backplate)which i can fit in my M4A78T-E(AM3 SOCKET) mobo. My cabby is CM ELITE 310.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
what is the option if it is not?

SO buying HSF will give the required accessories. now suggest a OEM HSF (which requires either a black bracket or can be directly bolt down via backplate)which i can fit in my M4A78T-E(AM3 SOCKET) mobo. My cabby is CM ELITE 310.

if it isn't, only thing possible is get the cheapest HSF. talk to pulsar_swift. he got TX3. if he have received backplate, get it. else there are lot of costlt (above 2k) options. another one is Scythe katana3. this one is a kind of low profile. and actually is a much better cooler yet costing just 1.5k.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

How much can you spend..?

Top Bottom