Restricting speed through Wireless Router

HalfOctave

Broken In
I have a BSNL DataOne broadband connection witth TeraCom :)oops:) wireless router. One of my neighbor shares the connection with me. The problem is that his laptop is ON most of the time and he is downloading something or the other, which restricts my browsing. Even after having a 4mbps connection, I face trouble in opening mails.

I have asked him to curtail his downloading many times but he won't improve. Sad part is even after paying full bill money, I can't even browse simple sites. :(

My query is that is there any way I can restrict the bandwidth he gets? I don't want to take out his connection completely which I know I can do by changing my Wifi password or even blacklisting him by MAC Filtering.

I just want to restrict his browsing speed. I heard there is something called QoS. How do I implement it?

OP
H

HalfOctave

Broken In
Nothing?

BTW I tried fiddling around. But in turn screwed my router. I entered the MAC id of laptop to be restricted and made it to Traffic Priority 7. And then in another screen changed its message block size and few other settings. But it worked for some time and then crashed my router. I had to reset it to factory settings again to get it back.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
implementing QoS is buggy.you can try 3rd party firmware like tomato or dd-wrt if your model is supported but again there is risk of bricking your modem/router.best option is to sort it out personally,after all you are the one paying the bill.

Top Bottom