restricting broadband sharing on wifi

itsmeharsh

Broken In
hi

i have an airtel broadband connection with 1mbps speed and 25gb fup limit. i use a belkin wireless modem router (Belkin N150 Wireless Router with Modem - Belkin: Flipkart.com) to connect the following devices:

1. galaxy note (wifi)
2. karbonn smart tab 8 (wifi)
3. nokia asha 311 (wifi)
4. desktop pc (lan)

my dad uses the karbonn tab which i gifted him recently. he is quite tech-illiterate and absolutely unaware of the android ecosystem. he has recently discovered youtube and due to which my 25gb limit does not even make up to 15 days!! he easily uses 1-1.5gb in a day by watching videos and full movies on youtube! i have tried explaining him that this is hampering my regular downloads and i even asked him to let me know if he want to download any movie, i would do it for him. but he is not bothered about it and still continues to hog most of my bandwidth. sometimes i block his tab's mac address on wifi settings of my router, but he has started to get suspicious and asks me if i have switched off the modem. and i don't want to block him completely. i just want to restrict his access. i want to restrict the data transmission on the tab; either by setting a download limit or by restricting download speed on it. is there anyway i can achieve this required setup?

thank you

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So ungrateful!!! :-x How about changing over to a new plan??? :-?

Its not ungrateful actually. He just wants to "limit" the bandwidth. 1 mbps is a good amount of bandwidth, to distribute evenly.
Even I don't know of any full proof solution, but a quick search have suggested two methods:

QOS: (The Beginner’s Guide to Using QoS (Quality of Service) on Your Router)
With this you can set your pc to draw more bandwidth.

Netlimiter: NetLimiter - The Ultimate Bandwidth Shaper
You can try this app. You maybe able to limit the bandwidth using the host address of other devices. Though I haven't tried it. But the help file for Netlimiter there is a section, "How to setup my computer to work with Remote Admin properly?", which works if you configure the other PC to tweak some settings. But the program is dated, has instructions for XP, and doesn't mention for Win 7.

But since you want to limit the bandwidth going to a tab, I think QOS will be the only option.

OP
I

itsmeharsh

Broken In
Its not ungrateful actually. He just wants to "limit" the bandwidth. 1 mbps is a good amount of bandwidth, to distribute evenly.
Even I don't know of any full proof solution, but a quick search have suggested two methods:

QOS: (The Beginner’s Guide to Using QoS (Quality of Service) on Your Router)
With this you can set your pc to draw more bandwidth.

Netlimiter: NetLimiter - The Ultimate Bandwidth Shaper
You can try this app. You maybe able to limit the bandwidth using the host address of other devices. Though I haven't tried it. But the help file for Netlimiter there is a section, "How to setup my computer to work with Remote Admin properly?", which works if you configure the other PC to tweak some settings. But the program is dated, has instructions for XP, and doesn't mention for Win 7.

But since you want to limit the bandwidth going to a tab, I think QOS will be the only option.

thanks, i will look into the QoS option.

PS: i don't know what powerhoney meant by "ungrateful". i guess he assumed that my dad is paying for the broadband connection and i shouldn't be inconsiderate to him. but it is not the case. he is retired and i pay for the connection from my earnings. :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
He said that probably since you want to "cut down on the internet" for you own dad. Had you used words like, "distributing bandwidth evenly" (irrespective of who pays the bills), he probably wouldn't have said that. :p

Also, you used the terms "tech-illiterate" and yet expected them to understand how Youtube hogs all the bandwidth. If I were you, I won't a tech-illiterate person to understand that. So, just chill and try to post your feedback if changing QOS setting do any good.

OP
I

itsmeharsh

Broken In
He said that probably since you want to "cut down on the internet" for you own dad. Had you used words like, "distributing bandwidth evenly" (irrespective of who pays the bills), he probably wouldn't have said that. :p

Also, you used the terms "tech-illiterate" and yet expected them to understand how Youtube hogs all the bandwidth. If I were you, I won't a tech-illiterate person to understand that. So, just chill and try to post your feedback if changing QOS setting do any good.

got it, my bad :)

actually, he is not absolute illiterate, he has had quite a lot of computer experience in his days. it's just that now he choose not be bothered about these stuff and enjoy his retirement as easily he can... i am also looking for a feasible solution by getting him his own broadband connection. let's see how it works out.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent

PS: i don't know what powerhoney meant by "ungrateful". i guess he assumed that my dad is paying for the broadband connection and i shouldn't be inconsiderate to him. but it is not the case. he is retired and i pay for the connection from my earnings. :)

Hey, mate... No Hard feelings!!! :)

+1 to this... :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw, @op... Contact whitestar_999... He's the true whiz here on TDF when it comes to networking problems... :)
Also, do report back if the processes vyom linked to worked!!! :)

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
I would never do that with my dad.. How selfish u r OP.. U r because of Him.. they must have sacrificed many things & u can't even give ur Inernet bandwidth.. !! shame on u... :-x

Ur dad paid for ur entire education & gifted u the life that u are now enjoying.. respect ur parents. :-x

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Hey don't do it to your dad. U must give him a peaceful life in retirement. U can switch to unlimited plans or give a 3g connection to your dad. And if u don't have money. Ask your dad to share done to u. He will be happy to give from his pension. I would love if my dad know how to use net. But he is happy with basic FM and mp3 songs from phone.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Hey don't do it to your dad. U must give him a peaceful life in retirement. U can switch to unlimited plans or give a 3g connection to your dad. And if u don't have money. Ask your dad to share done to u. He will be happy to give from his pension. I would love if my dad know how to use net. But he is happy with basic FM and mp3 songs from phone.

To people who are going over the board making sentimental comments here, all OP is trying to do is balance out his FUP limits while trying to keep his dad happy by making the necessary adjustment within the broadband rather than bluntly restricting his dad from using BB so much.
Dont you guys think that OP can even have gone to his dad and told him not to use the BB and suck up the FUP?? Will his dad not stop the usage if he does so?? I think his dad would definitely not use the BB again and would have hurt his feelings too.

So what OP is trying to do is to balance it in an economical and win-win manner without being a bad child and respecting his dads needs.

PS::25GB FUP suggests that its unlimited connection. Buying another 3G connection and spending on it for his dads downloads is much expensive than giving the full BB to his dad :)

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
To people who are going over the board making sentimental comments here, all OP is trying to do is balance out his FUP limits while trying to keep his dad happy by making the necessary adjustment within the broadband rather than bluntly restricting his dad from using BB so much.
Dont you guys think that OP can even have gone to his dad and told him not to use the BB and suck up the FUP?? Will his dad not stop the usage if he does so?? I think his dad would definitely not use the BB again and would have hurt his feelings too.

So what OP is trying to do is to balance it in an economical and win-win manner without being a bad child and respecting his dads needs.

PS::25GB FUP suggests that its unlimited connection. Buying another 3G connection and spending on it for his dads downloads is much expensive than giving the full BB to his dad :)

He should have not post the reason in the first place.. he could have said the he wants to block his bro or other someone, no one then have made any comments.. u r supporting him for this.. ..

OP
I

itsmeharsh

Broken In
Hey, mate... No Hard feelings!!! :)

+1 to this... :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw, @op... Contact whitestar_999... He's the true whiz here on TDF when it comes to networking problems... :)
Also, do report back if the processes vyom linked to worked!!! :)

yes, no hard feelings buddy :) and thanks for suggesting to contact whitestar_999.

I would never do that with my dad.. How selfish u r OP.. U r because of Him.. they must have sacrificed many things & u can't even give ur Inernet bandwidth.. !! shame on u... :-x

Ur dad paid for ur entire education & gifted u the life that u are now enjoying.. respect ur parents. :-x

and how exactly are you so sure about my life?? did someone tell you that my dad paid for my entire education and etc?? who died and made you the king of "respect your parents"? who are you to tell anyone how to respect their parents? judgmental prick :-x if you can't help then better keep your mouth shut.

another judgmental sh*t. how the hell can you suggest about anything by being so sure about my life?? assumption is different but don't be judgmental.

thank you buddy, you got my intention better than many on this thread.

He should have not post the reason in the first place.. he could have said the he wants to block his bro or other someone, no one then have made any comments.. u r supporting him for this.. ..

why should i lie about such a small matter???? that tells how shallow you are.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent

Agreed partially to the highlighed part. But are we the moral police to tell him what to post and what not to while he is very much under the rules of the community??

Do not agree to rest of your comments as you only thought about picking someone up and teach him moral rather than helping him.

BTW, what are you accusing me off?? Is he going to loot a bank or murder someone that I am supporting him for??? What makes you think that making some trivial choice of words is the biggest crime done in the history of mankind and picking him on something that you have no idea about?? How do u even comment that he is disrespectful towards his father?? what are u smoking kid??

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
and how exactly are you so sure about my life?? did someone tell you that my dad paid for my entire education and etc?? who died and made you the king of "respect your parents"? who are you to tell anyone how to respect their parents? judgmental prick :-x if you can't help then better keep your mouth shut.

you should die u know.. u are a fcuking nut.. go to hell... :-x

Droid_Z

Banned
@RohanM - Let it go buddy, these people are sick... u r wasting ur time with them...

@OP really shame on u for ur thoughts.. don't blame others for bashing u now.. no point in doing that.. :-x

OP
I

itsmeharsh

Broken In
what is wrong with these people?

you know what i was not putting in the reason in the first place, but then i thought i should be as thorough with explaining my situation as i can, so that it can become easier for others to suggest any solution. but i guess i overestimated some of the self righteous supreme beings here.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hence proved, how easily things go out of hand. -_-
Even if you control it, someone else *comes* and takes the discussion to whole new level.

Anyway, looks like this is the end of this thread.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Even if you control it, someone else *comes* and takes the discussion to whole new level.

True that bro.. Though the OP dint mean what was inferred out of his post, he was targetted and moral policed with a tinge of bitterness which wasnt even necessary. You did post your thought from the first read of the post and I appreciate the way you put it and the way you percieved it.
Not all are mature enough to think that no one has grown to hate their parents here and they are no man to judge someone by a post (a miss vocabulated post, rather).

OP
I

itsmeharsh

Broken In

True that bro.. Though the OP dint mean what was inferred out of his post, he was targetted and moral policed with a tinge of bitterness which wasnt even necessary. You did post your thought from the first read of the post and I appreciate the way you put it and the way you percieved it.
Not all are mature enough to think that no one has grown to hate their parents here and they are no man to judge someone by a post (a miss vocabulated post, rather).

thank you both for posting some sensible stuff.

anyway, as Vyom said, this is the end of the thread. thank you everyone.

Top Bottom