Restore without Restore Discs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

narangz

Web developer
Hey friends!
My question is how can I install Windows on my Compaq laptop without restore discs? I mean I do not want to delete partitions, data. The restore discs will delete them. I want to know can I install from Vista Disc & use my key? If yes from where can I obtain the Vista Installation Disc?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
if you install thru othr Vista disk, then you'll have to Install the drivers yourself (d/l frm hp website).

read the laptop's manual, there shud be a "Standard Recovery" which restores the OS from HDD (no formatting/deletion takes place)

check whether you have a separate partition, called Recovery Partition.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
then, d/l all the drivers frm hp's wbsite.

but one more thing, your current Vista key is OEM key, so it might not work/get validated on the other version.

get it clarified & then only proceed.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
I have the drivers. What I wanted to know is which Vista DVD will help me out of my problem & will accept OEM key.

I know a method by using Windows Vista Anytime Upgrade Disc, but those discs are not available in India! Help me guys!

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
It was not possible with XP. The OEM key wouldn't work with a retail copy. However from what I've heard, its possible in Vista. I do not use an OEM Vista. So wait for someone else to give in his/her views.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I believe it can be done in Vista coz I remember iMav saying that he'd installed a retail copy of Vista on his laptop with the OEM key. Contact him for further details, narangz.

PS: Is your name/surname Narang or are you a fan of Don?? ;)

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Surname is Narang. I haven't seen Don :)
Thank you for the suggestion!

@ Charan- Painful avatar. Ouch! It hurts! :D

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i installed vista from the dvd i had previously and used my hp windows key it worked for me :)

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
^^ Okay. Thank You. But obtaining a dvd is a problem. Most of the downloads available are pre-activated/cracked/hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom