[Request] Low power config

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
I am making this slow, not an urgent requirement. Looking only for Motherboard + Processor. Rest, existing devices will be used.

I am looking to make a low power consuming desktop for general use. Here is the Q&A:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Chrome, VLC and Dota2 (medium graphics for 1024x720 / 1024x768)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Max 12k. Upto 7.5 if only for Processor

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Existing HD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Existing samsung monitor - 1080p

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Want only Motherboard + Processor

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Not in a hurry

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Built a lot, don't need an assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Chennai. Ready to purchase any way

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: The current system is AMD Phenom 1055 (I guess) + Gigabyte GM880-USB3 (v1.1)

If the existing board is alright, I don't mind using this. I have tried under-clocking and locking all but two cores. But I want to push the power down as low as possible.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Your ideal low power but capable processor is the Intel G 3258 with a H81, B85, H87 & H97 Chipset based motherboard, choose any from Asus or Gigabyte and preferably avoid the ones from MSI at the moment. You can also go for an i3 but your scope of work wont require one so save some cash.

Last edited:
OP
lywyre

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Your ideal low power but capable processor is the Intel G 3258 with a H81, B85, H87 & H97 Chipset based motherboard, choose any from Asus or Gigabyte and preferably avoid the ones from MSI at the moment. You can also go for an i3 but your scope of work wont require one so save some cash.

Thank you.
I am in no hurry now. But will update here when I upgrade (downgrade?).

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I think going for an i3 will be better, the i3's iGPU is significantly faster than G3258.. Also you can overclock the iGPU on the BIOS itself which nets about 15% improvement in framerates

Top Bottom