Request for good ideas for gaming configs

rembranded

Broken In
Hi All,

I'm planning to build a decent gaming rig come September/October. I need some help in finding out what would be the best bang for my buck for the below specifications so that I can be financially prepared when the time comes.

I've filled in the PC configuration questionnaire:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Primarily gaming. Games that I will be playing include: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Mirror's Edge (Old, I know), Batman: Arkham Origins, Assassin's Creed III, Assassin's Creed IV, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Minecraft (Surprisingly more graphic intensive than I expected), Dragon Age: Inquisition (Upcoming), Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Upcoming), The Witcher 3: Witch Hunt (Upcoming), Batman: Arkham Knight (Upcoming)

I've mentioned some upcoming games too, to give you an idea of how well I would like my rig to perform.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 68K. Stretch Limit: 72K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Probably. To be honest, I am not really sure at this moment. I understand that you will suggest Intel 'K' processors based on this point. Feel free to suggest either.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1-1.5 TB HD + ~70 GB SSD (For the OS)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, I would like to buy a monitor. Size: 24 inches. Resolution: Full HD (1920*1080)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Keyboard. I have just recently purchased a Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard and I plan to use that for the foreseeable future

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: September-October 2014

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I haven't built one myself, but I have friends who have, and who are willing to help :)

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Chennai (Thiruvanmiyur specifically). I am open to buying online or otherwise, wherever cheaper :lol:

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Quite a few things actually:
1) The games that I have listed for question 1. I would like to play them at Full HD resolution, and Moderate to High graphics settings (not Ultra) with at least 35 fps, and this would be my hope for the next 3 years.
2) I have no particular preference when it comes to graphics card manufacturers. The only advantage I gain from having an AMD card is that Steam (Welcome to Steam) will keep my graphics drivers updated :) Feel free to suggest NVIDIA too.
3) I don't know why, but I have got this bias for Intel processors. I will, of course, consider the better advise of the good people of this forum if an AMD processor is preferable, but I just wanted to put this point out there.
4) I am reasonably tech savvy, so in the context of explaining something, please feel free to lapse into tech-speak. I am quite sure I can follow.
5) I would like to keep some cash spare for a UPS (I am sure my current 600 VA is not going to be sufficient) and for a licence key for Windows 8.1. If it is required, I can fund these 2 from other sources, but if possible please consider the cost of these 2 too as part of the overall config
6) I don't particularly need speakers, headphones, or a webcam
7) I would need a gaming mouse with 2 side buttons. I have become used to them and it is very very difficult to go back.
8) I am not too familiar with cooling solutions. Do I need to purchase extra fans apart from the ones that come with the cabinet? If so, which brand, and how many?
9) Is an optical drive really required? I can't remember the last time I used any optical media except for OS (re)installs. Even that can be done with flash drives now. I understand it is not too costly, but by skimping on this, if it is possible to increase one of the core components, then that is better.

I realise that this is a request with several conditions/caveats but I wanted to be extremely clear at the start itself. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

No sense in starting a thread two months before making the purchase. Prices will change, new products will be launched and most parts suggested right now will be outdated or replaced by someyhing better by the siem you make the purchase. Start the thread just one o two weeks before you intend to make the purchase. 72-75k will be enough. If you want some idea on what to expect then check out the section's stick *www.digit.in/forum/pc-components-c...c-buying-guide-suggested-configs-2014-q3.html

OP
R

rembranded

Broken In
Thanks Harshil. I will bump/repost this come September to get your guys' opinion. In the meantime, I will have a look at the suggested configs.

Top Bottom