Request Feedback on Xiaomi Mi Max

abraham

Broken In
1. Budget? - Rs. 15,000
2. Display type and size? - IPS LED / AMOLED- Minimum 5.5 inches
3. Dual sim? - Yes
4. Preferred choice of brand?- No preferences. After Sales Service is the main concern
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)? - With Flash. Decent front and back cameras ( though photography is not the main objective). Cameras should be decent enough
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).- Android
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).- 3G, 4G, VoLTE enabled. Wifi enabled
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)? - Calls, reviewing spreadsheets/ powerpoint slides on the go. Browsing
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? - Was considering the Mi Max for which am seeking advice from Sam
10. Any other info that you want to share - One handed operation NOT IMPORTANT. Phone would be carried in the hand bag

========================================================================

Writing this to seek your advice on buying a phone for my wife. She currently uses the LG Optimus L9 P765 ( which I bought based on your advice , some time back and which gave problem free service all this time ). Its been about 4 years now and time for an upgrade. So I come back to you for advice and suggestions.

What are your views on the Xiaomi Mi Max ? Consider the following facts:

1. A big screen is not a deterrent, but desirable, since she views a lot of xlsx and pptx files on her phone
2. She is not a one hand user
3. She parks her phone in her handbag

Would like to know whether I should buy a Mi Max for her, considering that it has Marshmallow.

I do not want Le2 since service is atrocious. Three ( yes, 3) of my friends bought the same based on the excellent reviews and all 3 of them had problems with the fingerprint scanner. One of them had the same corrected and received his phone only yesterday after 43 days. The other two are still waiting for the phones to be returned.

I do not want the Redmi Note 3 since it does not have Marshmallow out of the box and also because of the backside speakers.

So if not the Mi MAx , then the other alternative is Redmi Note 4, the launch time of which is not clear. Or is there any other alternative ? The budget is upto Rs. 15,000

OP
A

abraham

Broken In
Moto G4 Plus @ 15k

Comes with Marshmallow
Noughat upgrade confirmed

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

But no VoLTE...unfortunately ( only LTE) as per some sites. Moreover all the reviews comparing the two, say that SoC/ Processor ( do not know the difference !!!) is better in Mi Max. Not an expert myself, I have to depend on these reviews and most importantly comments from this Forum especially Sam's !! I bought 3 smartphones, 2 laptops, based on comments in this forum and did not have any reason to regret !!!

- - - Updated - - -

Moto G4 Plus @ 15k

Comes with Marshmallow

But no VoLTE...unfortunately ( only LTE) as per some sites. Moreover all the reviews comparing the two, say that SoC/ Processor ( do not know the difference !!!) is better in Mi Max. Not an expert myself, I have to depend on these reviews and most importantly comments from this Forum especially Sam's !! I bought 3 smartphones, 2 laptops, based on comments in this forum and did not have any reason to regret !!!

- - - Updated - - -

Moto G4 Plus @ 15k

Comes with Marshmallow

- - - Updated - - -

Oops !! Sorry for the repeats !!

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
You are right, Snapdragon 61x is a very inferior chip compared to 650 on Mi max.. Moreover, the biggest problem is that it overheats.. Lack of VOLTE is also an issue, You can go for Mi Max, but u must understand it's a pretty large phone 6.44 inch and one fall would shatter the display, or RN3, (similar problem here also, since there is no GG protection).. I dont know about the camera about Mi Max but RN3 camera is just average.. Moto G4 Plus has a superior camera compared to both of these..

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
G4 Plus has VoLTE
But yeah crap phone otherwise (expect the cam)

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Minion

Conversation Architect
Currently using zenfone 2 2GB RAM and 16GB ROM variant initially i was facing some issues but after system updates its a pretty good phone for price.
I removed all bloatware and its very good and i am getting 6 hrs of SOT with this phone which is very good considering its a full HD phone.

I will suggest this if service is priority ASUS don't use 3rd party for service
Online Shopping India Mobile, Cameras, Lifestyle & more Online @ Flipkart.co

As for concern about speakers they are pretty loud you just need to switch off audio wizard and marshmallow is already out for zenfone 2.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Lenovo Vibe K5 Note -13500,
(4G LTE, VoLTE enabled, 32GB ROM, 4GB RAM, Expandable to 128GB, Dual Hybrid Sim)

Lenovo Vibe K5 Note -12000,
(4G LTE, VoLTE enabled, 32GB ROM, 3GB RAM, Expandable to 128GB, Dual Hybrid Sim)

Comes with Marshmallow,
Noughat Upgrade Confirmed.

Last edited:

maheshn

Journeyman
1. Budget? - Rs. 15,000
2. Display type and size? - IPS LED / AMOLED- Minimum 5.5 inches
3. Dual sim? - Yes
4. Preferred choice of brand?- No preferences. After Sales Service is the main concern
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)? - With Flash. Decent front and back cameras ( though photography is not the main objective). Cameras should be decent enough
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).- Android
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).- 3G, 4G, VoLTE enabled. Wifi enabled
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)? - Calls, reviewing spreadsheets/ powerpoint slides on the go. Browsing
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? - Was considering the Mi Max for which am seeking advice from Sam
10. Any other info that you want to share - One handed operation NOT IMPORTANT. Phone would be carried in the hand bag

========================================================================

Writing this to seek your advice on buying a phone for my wife. She currently uses the LG Optimus L9 P765 ( which I bought based on your advice , some time back and which gave problem free service all this time ). Its been about 4 years now and time for an upgrade. So I come back to you for advice and suggestions.

What are your views on the Xiaomi Mi Max ? Consider the following facts:

1. A big screen is not a deterrent, but desirable, since she views a lot of xlsx and pptx files on her phone
2. She is not a one hand user
3. She parks her phone in her handbag

Would like to know whether I should buy a Mi Max for her, considering that it has Marshmallow.

I do not want Le2 since service is atrocious. Three ( yes, 3) of my friends bought the same based on the excellent reviews and all 3 of them had problems with the fingerprint scanner. One of them had the same corrected and received his phone only yesterday after 43 days. The other two are still waiting for the phones to be returned.

I do not want the Redmi Note 3 since it does not have Marshmallow out of the box and also because of the backside speakers.

So if not the Mi MAx , then the other alternative is Redmi Note 4, the launch time of which is not clear. Or is there any other alternative ? The budget is upto Rs. 15,000

Hi

Feedback from user who purchased it 2 months back :)

I got it for my parents to check email as they don't like to sit in front of the PC's at home. Configured it to pick up hotmail and gmail, and handed it over to them...

It mostly stays at home, and when traveling is in a handbag or other stuff. Not being carried around in pockets.

Observations from the use: The battery lasts 4 days, sometimes into the fifth day. (Wifi is kept on 24hrs. Voice calling is very low.)

The flash/torch is fairly powerful, it seems to have a yellow tinge. Not pure white, but it doesn't seem to affect taking pictures.

Regarding the screen and someone commented about dropping the phone, the same applies to all smartphones. I've even seen friends' iphone get shattered from a simple drop of about 4ft, however he had tempered glass on it and it kept the thing working, but ugly as hell to look at. I got a back cover/bumper case and a glass protector for the Mi Max. The bumper case also makes the thing a lot less slippery.

The display is large, bright, and a joy to use for browsing, reading mail, or ebooks.

I got the 32gb version. In spite of many promises the higher storage version till date has not become available even on Mi.com. However, the one I used I put only 1 sim and a memory card Samsung EVO+ 32gb so no storage issues.

Charging is fairly quick. 2-3 hours only to a full charge from about 15-16% using the included charger (and also tested with an Anker smart charger).

All in all it was very much worth the purchase. Regarding after sales service, there are no service centres in the part of Kerala I'm in at present. However, unless you dunk the phone in water or it suffers a fatal drop, It won't need service. It also gets updates. I got updated to MIUI 8 recently without any hassles.

P.S. Not using the fingerprint sensor at all. It works, but not necessary in this use case.

Disclaimer: I don't work for, or am associated with Xiaomi. However, I'm the happy owner of a Redmi 1S (2 years old next month) and also purchased/gifted Redmi 2, Redmi 2 Prime to most of my friends/work colleagues over the past 2 years ranging from Chennai to Tirunelveli to various parts of Kerala. All of them are satisfied with the handsets :)

OP
A

abraham

Broken In
- - - Updated - - -

Hi

Feedback from user who purchased it 2 months back :)

I got it for my parents to check email as they don't like to sit in front of the PC's at home. Configured it to pick up hotmail and gmail, and handed it over to them...

It mostly stays at home, and when traveling is in a handbag or other stuff. Not being carried around in pockets.

Observations from the use: The battery lasts 4 days, sometimes into the fifth day. (Wifi is kept on 24hrs. Voice calling is very low.)

The flash/torch is fairly powerful, it seems to have a yellow tinge. Not pure white, but it doesn't seem to affect taking pictures.

Regarding the screen and someone commented about dropping the phone, the same applies to all smartphones. I've even seen friends' iphone get shattered from a simple drop of about 4ft, however he had tempered glass on it and it kept the thing working, but ugly as hell to look at. I got a back cover/bumper case and a glass protector for the Mi Max. The bumper case also makes the thing a lot less slippery.

The display is large, bright, and a joy to use for browsing, reading mail, or ebooks.

I got the 32gb version. In spite of many promises the higher storage version till date has not become available even on Mi.com. However, the one I used I put only 1 sim and a memory card Samsung EVO+ 32gb so no storage issues.

Charging is fairly quick. 2-3 hours only to a full charge from about 15-16% using the included charger (and also tested with an Anker smart charger).

All in all it was very much worth the purchase. Regarding after sales service, there are no service centres in the part of Kerala I'm in at present. However, unless you dunk the phone in water or it suffers a fatal drop, It won't need service. It also gets updates. I got updated to MIUI 8 recently without any hassles.

P.S. Not using the fingerprint sensor at all. It works, but not necessary in this use case.

Disclaimer: I don't work for, or am associated with Xiaomi. However, I'm the happy owner of a Redmi 1S (2 years old next month) and also purchased/gifted Redmi 2, Redmi 2 Prime to most of my friends/work colleagues over the past 2 years ranging from Chennai to Tirunelveli to various parts of Kerala. All of them are satisfied with the handsets :)

Thanks Mahesh. Feedback from an user speaks a thousand words. Thanks a lot !!

Last edited:
OP
A

abraham

Broken In
Currently using zenfone 2 2GB RAM and 16GB ROM variant initially i was facing some issues but after system updates its a pretty good phone for price.
I removed all bloatware and its very good and i am getting 6 hrs of SOT with this phone which is very good considering its a full HD phone.

As for concern about speakers they are pretty loud you just need to switch off audio wizard and marshmallow is already out for zenfone 2.

Is this VoLTE enabled ??

ZTR

Cyborg Agent

You know with RN3 would have gotten 7-8Hrs Sot
9-10Hrs on just WiFi
Also in terms of perf RN3 blows ZF2 out of the water by a mile

Minion

Conversation Architect
You know with RN3 would have gotten 7-8Hrs Sot
9-10Hrs on just WiFi
Also in terms of perf RN3 blows ZF2 out of the water by a mile

I know RN3 has better battery and chipset But when i bought this phone i gave priority to service,camera,build quality,SD card slot that is why i choose this over RN3.
6 hrs SOT is great considering this phone has 5.5 inch FHD display and performance of this chipset is similar to SD 805 which is great for 10k.

OP
A

abraham

Broken In
So based on the feedback given, am comparing between Mi Max and Lenovo K5 Note. The salient differences are as below ( as per my understanding !!)

Compare.JPG

1. Please confirm my observations above and if they are correct is not Mi Max a better choice ?
2. Are there any other alternate brands which I should consider, other than the above 2 ( for a budget of Rs. 15,000)
3. Any obvious disadvantages in Mi Max ( size and susceptibility to damage has been brought about earlier )

Would appreciate further criticisms and comments.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Any suggestions, comments or criticisms please !!!

Last edited:
OP
A

abraham

Broken In
So based on the feedback given, am comparing between Mi Max and Lenovo K5 Note. The salient differences are as below ( as per my understanding !!)

View attachment 16516

1. Please confirm my observations above and if they are correct is not Mi Max a better choice ?
2. Are there any other alternate brands which I should consider, other than the above 2 ( for a budget of Rs. 15,000)
3. Any obvious disadvantages in Mi Max ( size and susceptibility to damage has been brought about earlier )

Would appreciate further criticisms and comments.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Any suggestions, comments or criticisms please !!!

Come on friends share some thoughts on this !!

Top Bottom