Report: Net users picking safer passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

shankar_ganesh

Journeyman
*smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_37.gif|||||A sample of login information from 34,000 MySpace.com members seems to indicate that Internet users are getting better at picking more secure passwords, according to a prominent security expert.

The average password is 8 characters long and 81 percent..........|||||

Source: *news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6144312.html

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Myspace.com said:
One of the users in the sample even had a 32-character password: "1ancheste23nite41ancheste23nite4."

whats the Fu*k... they are not suppose to read our password are they... man its not legal... err... wont use Myspace again.. come on... Passwords are suppose to stay encrypted...

Myspace.com said:
The five most common passwords are: password1, abc123, myspace1, password and blink182 (a band), according to Schneier. Only 3.8 percent of passwords are a single word found in a dictionary, and another 12 percent are a word plus a final digit, two-thirds of the time that digit is 1, he wrote.

and they are reading and doing research on it... come on... !!!

i dont trust my space any more...

blackpearl

The Devil
saurav_cheeta said:
whats the Fu*k... they are not suppose to read our password are they... man its not legal... err... wont use Myspace again.. come on... Passwords are suppose to stay encrypted...

i dont trust my space any more...

Thats bad. That means they store myspace passwords in plaintext???
Someday they are going to get hacked.

Sykora

I see right through you.
saurav_cheeta said:

saurav_cheeta said:

blackpearl said:
Thats bad. That means they store myspace passwords in plaintext???
Someday they are going to get hacked.

Perhaps you missed...

*news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6144312.html said:
One problem, though, is that all the passwords Schneier inspected were obtained through a phishing scam. Attackers created a fake MySpace login page and tricked users into thinking they had to enter their credentials to access their account on the social-networking site. Schneier obtained the list via a security industry colleague, he wrote.

Setting better passwords doesn't mean a thing if people send their passwords off to phishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom