Replacing E7400 with Q6600, a wise decision?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
So as you know, I tried to play GTA IV couple of days before and even with an GPU upgrade(GTX 750Ti), I didn't see huge improvements. So, after lot of digging online, find that Quad core makes hell a lot of sense to play GTA IV.

Since I'm very short on budget, my search for old Quads began! I got stumbled into this Q6600 G0 Stepping in other forums for 2k! If I get it, I don't have to change anything else and I guess it should do well for me, for next one year. So what do you guys think? What do you suggest?

My PC config is :

E7400
ASUS P5K-PL CM
4GB DDR2
Corsair VS550
MSI GTX750Ti Twin-Frozr

Help me out here guys!

WIsh you all advance deepavali wishes!

maheshn

Journeyman
Hi, a Core2Quad will give you a good performance boost for almost all modern stuff which can take advantage of multiple cores.

You said you are having 4GB RAM., which is fine. Ideally you should have a 64bit OS for taking full advantage of it....

D

Deleted member 118788

I think it is a good deal for you for 2K. Have a look at this video. Gta V On GTX 750 Ti. q6600 OC, 4GB Ram - YouTub

Edit: If you read comments below, you'll notice that many have the same proccy and gpu but the experience is mixed. 4GB ram might bottleneck also.

Edit 2: I didn't saw that you were talking about GTA IV. I was looking from GTA V perspective. Go ahead, GTA IV should run better with the proccy upgrade.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
GTA IV isn't a great port to begin with unlike GTA V
So issues might be still there

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Hi, a Core2Quad will give you a good performance boost for almost all modern stuff which can take advantage of multiple cores.

You said you are having 4GB RAM., which is fine. Ideally you should have a 64bit OS for taking full advantage of it....

Yes, I do have 64bit OS bro!

I think it is a good deal for you for 2K. Have a look at this video. Gta V On GTX 750 Ti. q6600 OC, 4GB Ram - YouTub

Edit: If you read comments below, you'll notice that many have the same proccy and gpu but the experience is mixed. 4GB ram might bottleneck also.

Edit 2: I didn't saw that you were talking about GTA IV. I was looking from GTA V perspective. Go ahead, GTA IV should run better with the proccy upgrade.

GTA IV. GTA V, I'm already done with it. But somehow, after looking at cool mods of GTA IV, I was intrigued to try it out.

Thanks for the link BTW! At least now I know my PC can handle GTA V too!

GTA IV isn't a great port to begin with unlike GTA V
So issues might be still there

Sent from my Redmi Note 3
But would it be better than E7400?

maheshn

Journeyman
Glad to know you have a 64bit OS. Go for the upgrade as the cost is very reasonable. (Amazon typically lists 2ndhand Q6600 for 3000+.)

Edit: And yes it will give you a boost over the E7400. Try seeing a comparison at cpuboss site if you're not convinced entirely.

Wish you good luck with the upgrade.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ I'm convinced that Q6600 indeed will give boost in terms of overall performance, but I'm asking mainly for GTA IV! Anyways, I contacted seller and I'm sure I will get it. Let's wait and see!

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to know you have a 64bit OS. Go for the upgrade as the cost is very reasonable. (Amazon typically lists 2ndhand Q6600 for 3000+.)

Edit: And yes it will give you a boost over the E7400. Try seeing a comparison at cpuboss site if you're not convinced entirely.

Wish you good luck with the upgrade.

Can I use my HSF for Q6600 as well? Seller has no HSF with him it seems!

D

Deleted member 118788

^^ I'm convinced that Q6600 indeed will give boost in terms of overall performance, but I'm asking mainly for GTA IV! Anyways, I contacted seller and I'm sure I will get it. Let's wait and see!

- - - Updated - - -

Can I use my HSF for Q6600 as well? Seller has no HSF with him it seems!

They all use an LGA 775 socket fan/heatsink that fits this socket.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Installed Q6600, running at stock speed of 2.4GHz! Couldn't believe my eyes when suddenly GTA IV works without a hiccup, FC3 looks much better, Sims 3 is snappy, gorgeous. Man, I don't know why I didn't do it a long time ago. All these while sticking to crappy E7400(Sorry dude!). I tried my best to get a Q95xx proccy but man it's hard to get my hands on.

So far, I'm happy. Planning to get a new cooler as I feel stock one isn't doing justice for Q6600 cause it runs at 50+ in idle and 70+ during load.

maheshn

Journeyman
So far, I'm happy. Planning to get a new cooler as I feel stock one isn't doing justice for Q6600 cause it runs at 50+ in idle and 70+ during load.

Those temps are normal for a non AC environment for a Core2Quad processor. Unless you overclock the system, there's no need to change the cooler. That said, an aftermarket cooler will bring down the temps nicely.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Those temps are normal for a non AC environment for a Core2Quad processor. Unless you overclock the system, there's no need to change the cooler. That said, an aftermarket cooler will bring down the temps nicely.

Yeah, I know the temps are ok. It's hot and humid here already. But I'd love to OC the Q6600, and keeping it in stock 2.4GHz speed is a sin. So yeah, trying to get Antec A30 and OC it to 3GHz atleast!

Top Bottom