Replacing CD Drive with SSD in HP G6

anky

Youngling
Hi Guys,

I have HP G6-2005AX, i want to replace my CD drive with SSD.
Is it possible? If yes then can that be used in PC also in future?

It is possible to replace DVD drive & add a 2.5" SATA SSD. But desktops use 3.5" ones, i guess, so you basically can't use a laptop SSD in a desktop without some modifications

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Yes, you have to use a adapter like this one Storite 2nd Bay 12.7mm Universal Sata 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive Enclosure/Caddy Price in India - Buy Storite 2nd Bay 12.7mm Universal Sata 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive Enclosure/Caddy online at Flipkart.com

Ivy Bridge, ivy schmidge: How to replace your laptop DVD drive with an SSD | ExtremeTech

Most consumer SSD's comes in 2.5" format other enterprise level SSD's are installed via the PCI Express slot and are very expensive.

You can use the same SSD in desktop also, provided you case has a 2.5" drive mounting option, else you can buy a cheap adapter for that too and put it in the regular 3.5" bay.

OP
anky

anky

Youngling
thanks for the reply guys...and yes the case which i will buy i will make sure it has 2.5" SSD bay (NZXT S340)...and one more thing...will there be any compatibility?...my laptop's mobo will support it na?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
It is possible to replace DVD drive & add a 2.5" SATA SSD. But desktops use 3.5" ones, i guess, so you basically can't use a laptop SSD in a desktop without some modifications

there are no 3.5 inch SSDs.. all normal SSDs are 2.5 inch or M.sata/M2.sata or PCI Express which are very expensive..
Its completely possible to use a laptop SSD in a desktop, almost all cabinets have 2.5 inch drive bays (only the cheapest crap like zebronics do not)
2.5 inch drives use the exact same ports (1 sata port and 1 sata power port) as the 3.5 in drives.. so connecting wont be an issue at all..
However, modern SSDs are typically Sata 3 based, using them on a SATA 2 port is possible but it will never reach the full speed the SSD can perform

@OP

What you should check is if your laptop has SATA 2 or SATA 3 slot.. If it's SATA 2 slot, adding in a SSD will give massive amounts of diminishing returns, your port will bottleneck the transfer speed of your SSD

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I have done this on my laptop and results are worth the try. Use the ODD bay with adapter, you can do it yourself. Even if you have SATA II, you will see huge difference, but if its SATA III then will work even better.

And as [MENTION=110244]Nerevarine[/MENTION] said, you can always use SSD drive on desktop.

there are no 3.5 inch SSDs.. all normal SSDs are 2.5 inch or M.sata/M2.sata or PCI Express which are very expensive..
Its completely possible to use a laptop SSD in a desktop, almost all cabinets have 2.5 inch drive bays (only the cheapest crap like zebronics do not)
2.5 inch drives use the exact same ports (1 sata port and 1 sata power port) as the 3.5 in drives.. so connecting wont be an issue at all..
However, modern SSDs are typically Sata 3 based, using them on a SATA 2 port is possible but it will never reach the full speed the SSD can perform

@OP

What you should check is if your laptop has SATA 2 or SATA 3 slot.. If it's SATA 2 slot, adding in a SSD will give massive amounts of diminishing returns, your port will bottleneck the transfer speed of your SSD

Ok...

vito scalleta

In the zone
There are chances that the HDD in your laptop is connected to a SATA 3 port and the ODD drive uses the slower SATA 2 port.
In that case replace the HDD with the new SSD and replace the ODD with the HDD. So that SSD is in SATA3 and HDD is in SATA2 port.
Use Speccy to determine which device is connected to which version of SATA port.

OP
anky

anky

Youngling
guys, how to check for sata 2 or sata 3 ...?
i m using speccy to find..but cant get that
cd drive details.PNG
my HDD is using SATA 2 port

tkin

Back to school!!
guys, how to check for sata 2 or sata 3 ...?
i m using speccy to find..but cant get that
View attachment 15901
my HDD is using SATA 2 port
1. Download HWInfo(32bit or 64bit as required): HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

2. Expand Bus tree from left panel, click SATA AHCI Controller, check interface speed under SATA Host Controller:

*i.imgur.com/Efhx8bR.jpg

Top Bottom