Replacement suggestions

BakBob

Mods changed my name :(
My S4 died recently. (The charging port stopped working).

Obligatory questionnaire -

1. Budget?

Upto 35k, but i'd rather not splurge a lot.

2. Display type and size?

AMOLED 5" preferred.

3. Dual sim?

No.

4. Preferred choice of brand?

Not SamShit.

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?

Don't care.
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).

Android preferred..
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).

3G is good enough.

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?

Internet. (Basically just shitposting)

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?

See below.

10. Any other info that you want to share

See below.

----- BONUS INFO -----

I'm looking into one of these for a replacement -
1. Moto X Play - 32GB

PROS : microSD, stock Android ( full CM support), THE BATTERY MAN!
CONS : IPS Display. 5.5" screen.

2. OnePlus X

PROS : microSD, AMOLED, 5"
CONS : **** build materials (glass back srsly), non-backlit keys and non support for mSD as of yet, cancerous invite system

3. Nexus 5X - 32GB

PROS : Nexus (it just werks (TM) ), full CM support
CONS : no SD card, IPS Display, 5.2" screen

Samsung phones have the best AMOLED screens, hate it or love it

Since you don't want a Samsung device & hate glass back, i guess suggesting S6 is futile

I'll say go for Moto X Play. It may not have a powerful SoC, but as you are not into gaming, S615 should be fine for a 1080p screen. It's screen, camera & battery life are good for the price. Also you seem to be a lover of stock ROM & would get into the world of rooting, so yeah.... This phone is sufficient for you

For a 5" device, check HTC One M8 Eye. It was available for as low as 20k during sale. It outperforms S615 of X Play. It has a good screen & battery life(X Play has better) but camera is average(you said you don't care). It has a great build quality, should have good dev support too (check xda). Although android 6.0 would be its last official update (speculation)

OP
BakBob

BakBob

S6 I had looked into.

PROS : Top of the line, SAMOLED 5"

CONS : no mSD, Exynos, lack of cyanogen (i couldn't find anything except a shady blog), glass back

I'll look more into HTC One M8 Eye. Thanks!

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
What about Note 4?
Granted its a bit big but has everyone of your requirements
SAMOLED,mSD,Dev Support (SD 805) ,Good Battery and Great Cam,No glass back and metal frame

Last edited:
OP
BakBob

BakBob

Note 4 is a little too expensive, the maximum I'm willing to spend is 35k and I'd rather spend less than more.

S6 I had looked into.

PROS : Top of the line, SAMOLED 5"

CONS : no mSD, Exynos, lack of cyanogen (i couldn't find anything except a shady blog), glass back

I'll look more into HTC One M8 Eye. Thanks!

Exynos might be stalling development but S6's UI is smooth, believe me. My friend has a S6 Edge.You might end up loving Touchwiz n settling with it

I personally prefer Touchwiz over other UIs..... There's lot of customization. Battery life is average though, 2.5hr SOT with 3G always on, browsing net, playing games, lasts through the day..... Charges from 10-90% in an hour

Do check about development status of M8 eye. M8 has good dev support, not sure about M8 eye

- - - Updated - - -

Nexus 5X 32GB @ 30k
LG Nexus 5X LG-H791 (32GB, Carbon): Amazon.in: Electronics

OP
BakBob

BakBob

Go for One plus Two, Rs 25k, 64 GB internal memory, and almost all your requirements fulfilled (Except amoled)

I looked into that, but the main qualms against a OnePlus device is the lack of After Sales Support. Like if I crack my screen, none of the local repair shops have the replacement screen and **** like that.

Also the toxic invite system, pardon the expansive rant that follows,

But IMO the customer should get to decide whether they want to buy the product or not. The company should not get to decide whether the customer should be able to purchase their product. Also the customer should be able to decide when he wants to purchase, not the company. The customer wants to purchase the product like 15 days later, provided stock exists, then he should be able to. By putting an expiration on the invite and distributing the invite for people begging is demeaning the self esteem of the customer and any company that follows such a absurd practice must be put down.

OP
BakBob

BakBob

Exynos might be stalling development but S6's UI is smooth, believe me. My friend has a S6 Edge.You might end up loving Touchwiz n settling with it

I personally prefer Touchwiz over other UIs..... There's lot of customization. Battery life is average though, 2.5hr SOT with 3G always on, browsing net, playing games, lasts through the day..... Charges from 10-90% in an hour

Do check about development status of M8 eye. M8 has good dev support, not sure about M8 eye

- - - Updated - - -

Nexus 5X 32GB @ 30k
LG Nexus 5X LG-H791 (32GB, Carbon): Amazon.in: Electronics

Unfortunately, since the M8 Eye is a product exclusive to India and China, the development is almost non-existent.

And so currently I'm torn between Moto X Play and Nexus 5X, and neither is a complete winner over the other, as I have heard lot of problems with the Nexus 5X screen (yellow tinting) and Moto X Play apparently has a lot of lag because of the weaker processor and lesser RAM.

Unfortunately, since the M8 Eye is a product exclusive to India and China, the development is almost non-existent.

And so currently I'm torn between Moto X Play and Nexus 5X, and neither is a complete winner over the other, as I have heard lot of problems with the Nexus 5X screen (yellow tinting) and Moto X Play apparently has a lot of lag because of the weaker processor and lesser RAM.

Try to find One M8 at around 20k then

5X also has some call issues. With the price cut it seems a good option. But Nexus phones from LG had screen issues in long run. My Nexus 4's screen died after 2 years. N5 has some flickering issues in long run. Maybe 5X will also have something (found about N4 & N5 after my N4 died)

Lags in Moto X Play are mostly visible while gaming, otherwise its good for normal use. I almost bought Moto X Play for my dad, but he didn't like stock android n now we are reviewing other options. Since you are not into too much gaming, I'm sure it will suffice you...
As I said earlier, it has a great screen, battery life & camera for its price.... (Dual SIM n SD card slot are bonus)

- - - Updated - - -

Have u looked into LG G4 ?

Its a good option for OP but spending that much might not be necessary for his needs. If a person doesn't need a great camera & performance, Galaxy A8 will beat G4

tkin

Back to school!!
My S4 died recently. (The charging port stopped working).

Obligatory questionnaire -

1. Budget?

Upto 35k, but i'd rather not splurge a lot.

2. Display type and size?

AMOLED 5" preferred.

3. Dual sim?

No.

4. Preferred choice of brand?

Not SamShit.

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?

Don't care.
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).

Android preferred..
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).

3G is good enough.

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?

Internet. (Basically just shitposting)

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?

See below.

10. Any other info that you want to share

See below.

----- BONUS INFO -----

I'm looking into one of these for a replacement -
1. Moto X Play - 32GB

PROS : microSD, stock Android ( full CM support), THE BATTERY MAN!
CONS : IPS Display. 5.5" screen.

2. OnePlus X

PROS : microSD, AMOLED, 5"
CONS : **** build materials (glass back srsly), non-backlit keys and non support for mSD as of yet, cancerous invite system

3. Nexus 5X - 32GB

PROS : Nexus (it just werks (TM) ), full CM support
CONS : no SD card, IPS Display, 5.2" screen
I have a few suggestions, but lets get something straight.
Samsung is the ONLY company that makes Amoleds for phones, and they reserve the best panels for their own phones, so if you hate Samsung then I'd advice you to skip amoleds, chances are you will end up with phones whose amoleds will not be that good, specially given your budget(else I'd have suggested Nexus 6p).

Moto X Play: Since your budget is 35k I'd say skip it. First of all the 615 is not a chipset for 1080p, it will get taxed a lot. Also note X Play does not have Gyroscope sensor, that means no Google cardboard vr, youtube 360, google camera photosphere 360 panorama and some games might cause issues. The biggest issue is that google maps streetview will not work properly, a huge problem if you use your phone to navigate while driving.

OnePlus X: Stay away from this phone like the plague, it has many issues. The amoled panel is just pathetic, its like Samsung's last years batch or something, the colors are saturated as hell and the display cannot even produce reds, its really really bad. Second is the fact the OS is as buggy as Windows vista, it crashes a lot and has many issues. And don't get your hopes up about the company fixing it, their last os upgrade to fix some bugs ended up bugging out the sd card. A fix for the sd card will probably kill the camera. Their after sales service is very poor. So stay away from this phone.

Nexus 5x: Not s bad choice, but lacks SD card and already one year old, so basically means google will abandon it next year, and CM might go that route too. Its not advisable to buy a phone at the end of its production period.

My suggestion for you is the Moto X Style, this phone has everything under 30k(except fingerprint sensor), if you rather spend not that much then you can get he Moto G3, since your requirement is web browsing, this has good battery life as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Another suggestion is the LG G4, since it's come down to 32k, this has better camera than the X Style, removable battery. The OS will probably will be updated till android 6(LG has two year update cycle) but one thing I have learnt after using the G2 for two years is that LG makes some really good phones, their displays are best for an IPS panel and they have one of the best custom UI in terms of features, speed and stability.

Finally decided to get a Moto X Play.

Great choice

- - - Updated - - -

Samsung is the ONLY company that makes Amoleds for phones, and they reserve the best panels for their own phones, so if you hate Samsung then I'd advice you to skip amoleds, chances are you will end up with phones whose amoleds will not be that good, specially given your budget(else I'd have suggested Nexus 6p).

Moto X Play: Since your budget is 35k I'd say skip it. First of all the 615 is not a chipset for 1080p, it will get taxed a lot. Also note X Play does not have Gyroscope sensor, that means no Google cardboard vr, youtube 360, google camera photosphere 360 panorama and some games might cause issues. The biggest issue is that google maps streetview will not work properly, a huge problem if you use your phone to navigate while driving.

OnePlus X: Stay away from this phone like the plague, it has many issues. The amoled panel is just pathetic, its like Samsung's last years batch or something, the colors are saturated as hell and the display cannot even produce reds, its really really bad. Second is the fact the OS is as buggy as Windows vista, it crashes a lot and has many issues. And don't get your hopes up about the company fixing it, their last os upgrade to fix some bugs ended up bugging out the sd card. A fix for the sd card will probably kill the camera. Their after sales service is very poor. So stay away from this phone.

Nexus 5x: Not s bad choice, but lacks SD card and already one year old, so basically means google will abandon it next year, and CM might go that route too. Its not advisable to buy a phone at the end of its production period.

My suggestion for you is the Moto X Style, this phone has everything under 30k(except fingerprint sensor), if you rather spend not that much then you can get he Moto G3, since your requirement is web browsing, this has good battery life as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Another suggestion is the LG G4, since it's come down to 32k, this has better camera than the X Style, removable battery. The OS will probably will be updated till android 6(LG has two year update cycle) but one thing I have learnt after using the G2 for two years is that LG makes some really good phones, their displays are best for an IPS panel and they have one of the best custom UI in terms of features, speed and stability.

X Play works fine for day to day use.... Those things you mentioned, even I don't use them.... OP isn't much into gaming, so no problem

I totally agree with you on OPX

Nexus 5X was released recently with android M. I'm pretty sure it will get next 2 major android upgrades. I just feel its pricey & base 16GB is too low for current time

X Style & G4 are good phones, no doubt.
But I thing I would like to point is that G2 might have a better screen than G4 (or on par) as far as brightness, contrast, colour reproduction n all are concerned (G3 has a display inferior to G2.... LG jumped to QHD too soon). The only con of G4 might be average battery life (G2 was good in that too). G4 has added flexibility because of sd card slot, removable battery n dual SIM.

OP
BakBob

BakBob

Samsung is the ONLY co
lity.

The reason I chose X Play is the battery life, as 1080p with 3600mAh should last me a day, and I am going to switch to Squid kernel with CM12.1 and change from the default governor.

Although I don't really use any of the stuff you mentioned, but for now I will refrain from any purchase and look more into Style and its development. Considering that this version is more widely available, I guess there would also be more development for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Great choice

Thanks!
But, taking into consideration the points that tkin made, I will look more into Moto X Style to see if its worth the extra $$ and then decide if I would

- - - Updated - - -

Found this video --->

[YOUTUBE]*www.youtube.com/watch?v=605fKVfRlrY[/YOUTUBE]

Can anyone attest to the accuracy of the comparision?

tkin

Back to school!!
The reason I chose X Play is the battery life, as 1080p with 3600mAh should last me a day, and I am going to switch to Squid kernel with CM12.1 and change from the default governor.

Although I don't really use any of the stuff you mentioned, but for now I will refrain from any purchase and look more into Style and its development. Considering that this version is more widely available, I guess there would also be more development for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!
But, taking into consideration the points that tkin made, I will look more into Moto X Style to see if its worth the extra $$ and then decide if I would

- - - Updated - - -

Found this video --->

[YOUTUBE]605fKVfRlrY[/YOUTUBE]

FTFY, just put the id, like this: [YOUTUB]605fKVfRlrY[/YOUTUBE]

- - - Updated - - -

These videos are worthless imo, going by speed logic my LG G2 is better than a S6 as I saw in a video. Both are good phones, read the reviews please.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

X Style is worth the extra money due to a better camera (only better lenses n faster, better image processing) & S808. But the QHD display + 3000mAh battery may not last a day of heavy usage(should last till the evening)

As far as reviews are concerned, I guess Play is as good as my Z3C in terms of battery life. My phone easily lasts 24h, with 5hr+ SOT

As far as the video goes, nowadays even 10k smartphones are responsive(My dad's Honor 4X is as responsive as my Z3C, lag can only be observed if kept side by side). If you want even better responsiveness, just turn off the animations. Those types of comparisons will give different results everytime.

OP
BakBob

BakBob

X Style is worth the extra money due to a better camera (only better lenses n faster, better image processing) & S808. But the QHD display + 3000mAh battery may not last a day of heavy usage(should last till the evening)

As far as reviews are concerned, I guess Play is as good as my Z3C in terms of battery life. My phone easily lasts 24h, with 5hr+ SOT

As far as the video goes, nowadays even 10k smartphones are responsive(My dad's Honor 4X is as responsive as my Z3C, lag can only be observed if kept side by side). If you want even better responsiveness, just turn off the animations. Those types of comparisons will give different results everytime.

I've noticed that Moto X Style (Pure in 'MURICA) has a more active development, CM13 is usable (still lot of crashes, but thats true for CM13 in general) and CM12.1.

The only concern now is the battery life and the size. Coming from a Galaxy S4, I want to see how much bigger is the phone. Any ideas?

Top Bottom