Replacement For My LG G2

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
It goes for 28k or 30k during sales. By G7, I mean that only
Well it showing as 40k in fk which is way over budget. Will try to find out if any price change is there offline. Performance wise how is it compared to v30?

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Nokia 8.1 is a good device which is just a bit overpriced. I would have liked its price tag to be 25k. Since you aren't into gaming, it is a good choice for you.
It's too big. I would like to buy something in 5.5 to 6 inch range.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Brother head over to gsmarena. Find phones in the screen sizes etc. that you want. Finalize few and then post them here.

It's too big. I would like to buy something in 5.5 to 6 inch range.

Why do you have Poco F1 in consideration then? Nokia 8.1 is similarly sized to Poco.

If you want something compact, get S8 or LG G7 for ~30k during sales. I doubt there are any other good options for compact phones. Check Samsung stores locally.

BTW S8's camera is better than all other phones of that budget (till 40k) even OP6T. Dual camera provides a better portrait mode, that's it. Install Pixel camera from xda for a better portrait mode in S8.

Last edited:
OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
On going through GSMArena for phones in 5.5 to 6.1 range with OLED and IP certification i came up with 15 options out of which some iam not sure are available here and some like S8, S9, Z3, Huawei P20, Mate series and Note series are over my budget. Only real options in these are Galaxy A8(2018),Galaxy A8+, LGV30+ & Nokia 8 Sirocco. What do you guys suggest and why? I will also do a search for phones with IPS display which might give me better options and post it here shortly.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
On searching for devices with IPS devices with rest of above specifications resulted in giving me only LG G7 ThinQ as the only promising option. Can someone advice me as to how important is having IP68 or water/dust resistant certification in selecting a device?. I chose it because i travel a lot in public transport and spend time outdoor and take a lot of calls and being little rough user. While many of the mid level mobiles give a lot of flagship level spec, do they tone down on the build quality to mange the cost?( That is my worry). How good are honor 10 & POCO F1 in terms of build quality?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
On searching for devices with IPS devices with rest of above specifications resulted in giving me only LG G7 ThinQ as the only promising option. Can someone advice me as to how important is having IP68 or water/dust resistant certification in selecting a device?. I chose it because i travel a lot in public transport and spend time outdoor and take a lot of calls and being little rough user. While many of the mid level mobiles give a lot of flagship level spec, do they tone down on the build quality to mange the cost?( That is my worry). How good are honor 10 & POCO F1 in terms of build quality?
I have LG G6 (which recently got the ThinQ update, so it's also more closer to G7 software wise) so I think I can comment on some of your concerns.
I bought this phone (the costliest phone I ever bought) only for these reason:
> Camera (It have an Excellent camera)
> IP68 resistant: I have boasted about this certification by literally washing the phone with tap water in front of my colleagues. I love its water resistance. People have also taken this phone for a spin under swimming pool and got excellent footage, while I myself wont try it, since in theory IP68 is only applicable for fresh water. This certification not just means that it's resistant to water, it also means its packed tight enough not to let even dust in. Read more her: What the heck is IP68? | Hub | Three
> Looks. Damn, its a beautiful phone. (Imgur album: LG G6 - My First Flagship smartphone [bandwidth heavy])
And the phone also had a bonus of providing a QuadDac, so that was a plus, which I will benefit when I will buy a deserving headphone.

For me IP68 is great to have, since I don't have to worry about water anymore. I know if I get stuck in rain, my phone have a good chance to survive it. I do have to care about it's protection though since it's made of glass. And so is G7. I protect it using a hard case from Spiegen. It's a costly case, but the phone deserve it.

Mid level mobiles does tone down the quality of the phone. That was THE main reason why I had to resort to buying a flagship phone, cause this time I didn't want to compromise on anything. (For eg, many phones compromise on compass, a very basic sensor to have).

If you decide to go for G7, do remember that LG have it's own software, and it doesn't come with vanilla Android. I got use to it by replacing the LG launcher with Nova. I advice to go through the reviews and Reddit sub for G7 thoroughly and know the phone's pros and cons before finalizing the decision to buy it.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
I have LG G6 (which recently got the ThinQ update, so it's also more closer to G7 software wise) so I think I can comment on some of your concerns.
I bought this phone (the costliest phone I ever bought) only for these reason:
> Camera (It have an Excellent camera)
> IP68 resistant: I have boasted about this certification by literally washing the phone with tap water in front of my colleagues. I love its water resistance. People have also taken this phone for a spin under swimming pool and got excellent footage, while I myself wont try it, since in theory IP68 is only applicable for fresh water. This certification not just means that it's resistant to water, it also means its packed tight enough not to let even dust in. Read more her: What the heck is IP68? | Hub | Three
> Looks. Damn, its a beautiful phone. (Imgur album: LG G6 - My First Flagship smartphone [bandwidth heavy])
And the phone also had a bonus of providing a QuadDac, so that was a plus, which I will benefit when I will buy a deserving headphone.

For me IP68 is great to have, since I don't have to worry about water anymore. I know if I get stuck in rain, my phone have a good chance to survive it. I do have to care about it's protection though since it's made of glass. And so is G7. I protect it using a hard case from Spiegen. It's a costly case, but the phone deserve it.

Mid level mobiles does tone down the quality of the phone. That was THE main reason why I had to resort to buying a flagship phone, cause this time I didn't want to compromise on anything. (For eg, many phones compromise on compass, a very basic sensor to have).

If you decide to go for G7, do remember that LG have it's own software, and it doesn't come with vanilla Android. I got use to it by replacing the LG launcher with Nova. I advice to go through the reviews and Reddit sub for G7 thoroughly and know the phone's pros and cons before finalizing the decision to buy it.
Thanks for clarifying. As I am already using G2, I am familiar with LG software and not spoiled by stock android
I am still undecided between v30 and g7 though. Will check on offline stores for prices and other review sites before deciding.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Personally even if G7 is better on paper when it comes to raw specs, I would still prefer V30 for a simple reason. The Notch. The UGLY notch.
I know it can be turned off, but I prefer not having it in the first place.

But that's just me. Many people don't have any issue with the notch, and supporting the blatant rip off of Apple.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
I too don't like the notch and will keep in mind while deciding.

Anyone?

If you aren't in a hurry, wait for sales on S8 or LG G7. Get any of them. For S8, Pie will be the last update. As G6's Pie update is uncertain, consider G7's last update to be Pie as well.

I think S8 would have a better primary cam than G7 but the wide angle lens gives you a different view. In daylight pics, the difference isn't noticeable even between S8 & G6. But the AMOLED of S8 is on a different level compared to any IPS. So any one of them for 30k is a great deal IMO. The main problems with V30+ are its size (width) & selfie cam, just average for a flagship.

Samsung Galaxy S8 vs LG V30 vs LG G7 ThinQ - Visual phone size compare

IP certification just gives a peace of mind in rain. I have been using IP rated phones for 3+ years now & except for rain, the only other stuff that required IP rating is washing my phone. Its nice to have but not a big deal breaker.

Honor 10 isn't worth getting at 25k & Poco F1 is good but it takes a hit in build quality. Although, the armoured edition has a good build (the internal build is good for even the plastic version). At 24k, it is a great choice. I would highly recommend installing a stock based ROM & pixel cam for a better experience with Poco F1.

Last edited:
OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
IP certification just gives a peace of mind in rain. I have been using IP rated phones for 3+ years now & except for rain, the only other stuff that required IP rating is washing my phone. Its nice to have but not a big deal breaker.

Honor 10 isn't worth getting at 25k & Poco F1 is good but it takes a hit in build quality. Although the armoured edition has a good build (the internal build is good for even the plastic version). At 24k, it is a great choice. I would highly recommend installing a stock based ROM & pixel cam for a better experience with Poco F1.
If you don't mind , what's wrong with honor 10. It seems to be popular on many review sites.

If you don't mind , what's wrong with honor 10. It seems to be popular on many review sites.

For 25k, Poco F1 has a better chipset & camera but suffers in looks. Honor 10 looks good for sure, but so does Asus 5Z which is also priced similarly & it does everything better. Nokia 8.1 is also a better choice compared to Honor 10 because of a much better camera, similar performance, stock android & better brand value.

The only case when Honor 10 is a good choice is if you need a compact phone. Then again with G7 & S8 getting priced at 30k during sales, Honor 10 is in a tricky position.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not to mention after the latest fiasco of Huawei with US govt its brand image has taken a hit(at least in eyes of those who don't see China in a positive way).

Top Bottom