Removing a Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

int86

You'r Born Free
I have a Intex 2600W pseudo 4.1(actually 2.1) speaker. As shown in below figure, there are two capacitors. Will removing those capacitors do any harm to circuitory inside. I want to acheive equal sound in all four speakers.
Below is picture of output socket seen fron outside and inside.

*img507.imageshack.us/img507/4601/speakerrearpo8.th.jpg

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I don't seem to understand that diagram. everything seems to be shorted!!! check the circuit again. And plz don't remove the capacitor. Its there most prolly to filter out unwanted noise. Remove ing that will NOT make your 2.1 to 4.1!! the circuits for both are different. That will require separate drivers for front and rear channels which a 2.1 setup will not haf.

Also, why are there 2 inputs if its a 2.1 (pseudo 4.1) setup?

OP
int86

int86

You'r Born Free
^Was waiting for you to reply.
I very well know that it cant be made 4.1.
What manufacturer did is to make one speaker sound more in each channel of stereo output.
Left output- One loud output and one faint output
Right output-One loud output and one faint output

I think this is done with introduction of a capacitor in series. i want just to remove capacitor and join it directly. Will this harm .I guess this will give equal intensity sound in each four speakers.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
int86 said:
What manufacturer did is to make one speaker sound more in each channel of stereo output.
Left output- One loud output and one faint output
Right output-One loud output and one faint output
All I can make out from this is that the rear channel has been attenuated. But this has nothing to do with the capacitor in series. Its there to smooth out ripples and give you clear audio.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Yup. Capacitors just act as Filters.

Maybe one speaker is taking more Current than the Other?

Edit: Hmm.. *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover
See that ^

OP
int86

int86

You'r Born Free
If its to give clear audio then why not to all four speakers, why it is intoduced to only one speaker in each channel.
One speaker in each channel is loud, though I have identical four speakers.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
from wat i understand is that u hav 4 speakers with 2 having more sound than the other 2 and u want all to give equal sound ... i dont think caps would do be inserted to do that ....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
int86 said:
If its to give clear audio then why not to all four speakers, why it is intoduced to only one speaker in each channel.
One speaker in each channel is loud, though I have identical four speakers.
Its not connected to only one speaker. Its connected BETWEEN them. This has nothing to do with the attenuation of volume. How old or new is your speaker set? get it checked. Mebbe there's some loose contact. Check the connections on the PCB and also the external cables.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Guys! Just see the Wiki Link! That Capacitor is used as a Passive Crossover for splitting Hi and Low Freqs.

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Passive_Crossover.svg

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ ya the capacitor and inductor do a lot of magical stuff ... they both are the most interesting components in engg

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
iMav said:
^^ ya the capacitor and inductor do a lot of magical stuff ... they both are the most interesting components in engg

u forgot the resistors (LR,LC,RC,LCR) :D

sashijoseph

In the zone
That capacitor forms a high pass above 900hz.Just a gimmick as far as 'surround sound' is concerned.You may connect the 2 rear speakers directly to the main ones but before that do check out the impedance of the speakers cause connecting them in parallel will effectively halve their impedance.So two 8ohms in parallel will now be 4ohms.This will present around twice the load to the amp.Generally amps will take 4ohm loads happily.So if the speakers are 8ohms no problem.If they are 4ohms,they'll present a 2ohm load,so the amp may heat up a bit.But considering these are low power satellites it should be pretty safe.

OP
int86

int86

You'r Born Free
Thanx sashijoseph
Though all the satellite speakers look alike from outside,I will open it tomorow and will tell about its ratings. Can I connect them in series rather than parrllel.
@[xubz] Thanx for the link, I got the point., What if I want all speakers to provide Identical sound.

All satellite speaker are rated 4 Ohm and 6 Watt.
Since all speaker are identical , I think passive crrosover is just introduced to get a particular set of frequencies from a speaker.
Pratically I get bass sound from set of rear speakers.
What I want is getting all sound from all speakers, since all are identical speakers.

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
I am really confused by the circuit diagram shown by you. What do you mean by 'circuit board of woofer'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom