Remote PC controller. choosing the right freeware

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, i want a software (freeware) that can have total control over client PC's over LAN
that includes desktop sharing, file transfer, network sharing etc...

the computers to connect are my netbook as server and 3 other PCs as clients (see config in siggy, all PC are more or less the same)
(netbook running XP Home and clients win7+win7/ubuntu+XP )

initially started with desktop sharing in which ScreenStream did not perform well.

used UltraVNC and TeamViewer but dont know what i am doing wrong as connection cannot be established. networking and workgroup comps are working fine.

not much experienced network guy, so if somebody could point out some tutorial, that would be nice

Last edited:

nims11

BIOS Terminator
i use teamviewer to control my PC in LAN whose monitor is not working. here is what i did-
1. after installing teamviewer in computer, goto option and under general tab- change "accept incoming LAN connections" to "accept". check "start teamviewer with windows" option if not enabled.

2. under security tab- set a permanent password

3. i also had to enable the window logon option under "security" as there was no monitor and i had to control right from the windows login screen. you can also do this if you dont want to go and log into the computers you want to control.

repeat step 1,2,3 for all computers you will be connecting to.

4. after doing this in all the computers you want to control, open teamviewer in the computer through which you will be controlling all the other computers. in the partner ID, enter the LAN IP of that computer, connect to partner, and then enter the password you had set in the "permanent password" in that computer you are connecting to.

i hope it helps!! all the best

PS: if it works, its my first tutorial!!:D

Last edited:

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
Do you see team viewer ready to establish connection or not.Check the bottom left corner if there is a tick symbol then its ok otherwise there is a problem in your network connection. BTW how are you trying to connect them? wired or wireless (as you are using netbook) there could be a glitch in the router connection if possible.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I use TeamViewer to connect my office PC, so that I can complete work from home, which are pending. :-D

But didn't knew that it had so many features as described by nims11. :shock:

TeamViewer not able to access the network. i can connect to internet but teamviewer does not detect network.
BTW its all wired

just discovered another problem ::

cannot login to 192.168.1.1 with us:admin pw:admin. the router is sterlite sam300AX by MTNL.

this is INSANE !!!!!!
dont know whats going on !!!!!!!

Last edited:

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
TeamViewer not able to access the network. i can connect to internet but teamviewer does not detect network.
You mean you don't see a tick in the bottom left corner.
cannot login to 192.168.1.1 with us:admin pw:admin. the router is sterlite sam300AX by MTNL.
I assume you have accessed it earlier and not able to do now and you haven't made any changes. See if there is a hard reset button to restore it to factory setting press it. Then reconfigure it to proper one. Be sure to configure it correctly else you won't be able to connect to internet.

can you successfully ping other computers?

yes. all comps are present

You mean you don't see a tick in the bottom left corner.

no i dont

I assume you have accessed it earlier and not able to do now and you haven't made any changes. See if there is a hard reset button to restore it to factory setting press it. Then reconfigure it to proper one. Be sure to configure it correctly else you won't be able to connect to internet.

yes, i have done that. i forwarded one port 192.168.1.107:2107.
now i cant ping to it, all setting are gone.
without login i cannot alter any settings.
reset dosent change things

again, internet is working fine

trying to reset network and reinstall teamviewer.

Use any VNC Server/Client combo. Make sure the firewall is not blocking the connections.
same problem.
untill i log into my router how can i know what are the current settings??
what ip/ports are open ??

Last edited:
IT WORKED !!!!!!!! :hyper:

dont know how !! :sad:

was it the reinstall ??
i followed nims11 steps first time as well as the second time.
dont know what changed !!!

also to take matters entirely in my netbook's hand i downloaded this

TeamViewer does not support sound sharing. is anything to do it ??
found this. but it is paid..

any s/w that can send the audio out to remote address ??

nims11

BIOS Terminator
this looks nice-
SpeakerShare – A Simple Cross-Platform Alternative to AirFoil | Squeeze Box

here is a winamp sound server plugin (not sure if this will work) - Cool remote sound server for Winamp - Winamp

pulseaudio(FLOSS sound server) - PulseAudio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tell us if it works!!

^^ thanks will try it in the evening.

one more thing.
can somebody tell me how to use teamviewer over the internet ???

that would be helpful ...

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
This Google search has lots of links to help you to use it over the internet :)

how to use teamviewer over internet - Google Search

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
I have used it via internet while I was in banglore to control my pc at home. Its just that both should have internet connected, team viewer on and you must know the id and password.It also depends on the internet speed specially if you are trying to exchange files.

yeah.. figured out pretty much every option available
downloaded teamviewer QS
created an account and added 3 computers, so i dont have to remember the pwd.

on 1 MB/s connection and resolution of 1600x900 is buffered slowly, so decreased the res.

also the router issue is solved. turns out MTNL had changed their us & pwd to 'mtnlbroadband'

OK. all in all ThankYou every body who participated in this discussion

Mods: this thread is ready to be [CLOSED]...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom