Remote CD writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

amistik

Broken In
Hi All

Is there any software to write files from local hardisk to remote cd writer?

Let me thing clear. I have two pc connected with 100mb switch network.
One pc running windows 2k pro and other Windows 2000 server with sp4.
I have a cd writer installed at Windows 2000 server pc. Now i want to write files from win2k pro pc to win2k server pc.
Is there any software avilable to do this job ? free or trial version ?

I can use 2000 server but users are generally working on it.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Actually, it is not advisable to do it like this. You may encounter buffer under run issues and may lose some CD-Rs.

Copy all the files from the other PC to local hard disk and then burn them.

OP
A

amistik

Broken In
Yeh. Thats right. But if i choose low speed wrting say 2x or 4x then i can address this issue coz my network is 100 Mbps switched with full duplex . Other wise if i got a software such that it has two part one server and other agent, when i submit writing job to agent it sends all data to sever then write the cd.
Now the question is - is there any software avialble to do this job. I Googled it but yet to find any one.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Whatever be the speed of network and at whatever speed you may write, this setup is likely to cause BURN errors.

But I am not an expert. You can wait for someone who knows more than me on this :)

BlAsTeR

Broken In
Well dude , i dont know about remote cd writing software but

You can try Vnc , (Virtual private network) , with this you can see the remote machine view on your desktop.And you can start your CD recording software on remote machine(Nero).

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
i've tried vnc ... its good
but y use it if you can use window's own "remote desktop"
im in a network like u amistik .. and to tell u
remote desktop rocks ... i use it everytime ..

tuxfan

Technomancer
I just saw that Network Neighbourhood is not shown in Nero. So directly they don't support remote writing.

But you can MAP the remote drives and it will show them in the list. Then you can directly use Nero to do what you want to do. :) No need of any other software.

The above thing works in case you want to write remote files to local writer.

If you want to write local files to remote writer, you can share the remote writer (thru the remote machine), map it in the local machine and then may be Nero will pick it up. I've never tried this, but it seems logically possible. I don't have Nero installation CD handy. Otherwise would have instantly tried this and told you. But can try it out in a day or two and let you know.

OP
A

amistik

Broken In
Thankx Tuxfan for this idea using nero and network drive. I have allready check this issue before posting this topic. Actually when Nero starts it scan all channels including ide,scsi,usb etc if there is any cd drive attached. For Network map device it treats as just normal drive.

As mentioned by BIAsTeR, VNC will surely do the job. But problem is, its brings entire remote desktop to local machine. And if any user is currently working on that machine, he may feels irritatiing coz he has no controll over his mouse and keyboard.

Presently i am checking Paragon CD emulator. It is a nice software. But still it is for local machine.

GameAddict

In the zone
You may try NeroNet....

Hi,

Please see thsi link, it might be useful....

*www.cdr-zone.com/download/CDR_Burning_Software/93/neronet.html

Bye!

GA

tuxfan

Technomancer
amistik said:
when Nero starts it scan all channels including ide,scsi,usb etc if there is any cd drive attached.
You are right. Actually, I realised this as soon as I disconnected the net connection. But couldn't log in again because of some work. Nero can write only thru local CD-Writers.

BTW, GameAddict has provided a good informative link. He seems to be burning lots of CDs ;) :) But for it to work, you need an IP-capable intranet. I don't really know what it means, but check out the interface of the software thru the link given there. I don't think it is a shareware/freeware.

xenkatesh

Bewitched!
Hey dudes check this out windos expert itself give u solution for this
just follow the link

*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/russel_02January28.mspx

OP
A

amistik

Broken In
Thankx GameAddict. Its a good linking. I allready downloaded the trial version of NeroNet and will check it shortly.
As mentioned by tuxfan IP capable intranet means local lan with ip address. Not netbeu type. For CD Writer Server I have to assign a fixed IP address

tuxfan

Technomancer
amistik said:
IP capable intranet means local lan with ip address
Oh!! Is that so? I didn't know :oops: Thank you for telling me. :) I didn't know I already had a IP capable intranet in my office ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom