Reinstall XP from folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramborums

Broken In
Is it possible to copy the XP source to a folder and do a reinstall from there whenever required? I need this in a school lab where we dont have CD drives on all systems. Every time some maintenance is to be done, I am having to open up the system to connect a CD drive temporarily for the job.

What would be the best way to provide source files for OS in a system without CD drive?

Thanks for any help.

rohanmathew

Reader of Trust 2009
I suggest you to create an iso image of the XP using power iso and install it using virtual drives.

--------------------------------------------------------
Always use Genuine Windows XP and fight against piracy.
--------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
Get an external cd/dvd drive. You can easily assemble one for around 2k (get casing and internal drive, connection is very easy). Then you can install by booting from usb drive...

Arun

OP
R

ramborums

Broken In
thanks rohanmathew and sakumar.

rohan could you give me some input on using iso of xp as virtual drive? how wud i boot from virtual drive?

thanks

RaghuKL

Swalpa Adjust Maadi
yes it is possible to install upgrade from hdd.
u can also share the cd drive across the network and install os. The method isexplained Here

rohanmathew

Reader of Trust 2009
For repairing system files in windows xp use system file checker.Goto run.then type cmd.then give sfc/scannow.Then it will ask for xp cd.For that install power iso.create a virtual image of the disc you have with.Then mount the image to power iso .It will be exactly look like your cd in the drive.

-------------------------------------
Pls use this information at your risk.I had tried it successfully.

RaghuKL

Swalpa Adjust Maadi
Remote installation services is an option that is available in windows 2000 /2003 networks. it uses pxe-boot option.

liquidsnake

Broken In
hey bros it wont be possible to boot from a virtual drive since there is no existance of the virtual drive without the os
2nd u will need to use a bootable disk if u dont have any windows flavour already installed
3rd u can use bootable pen drives if usb port n usb boot option are present
4th u can use ghosting it will take only few minutes wrt new installation

in ur case bootable pen drive with xp seems to be a good soln

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom