Reinstall Windows on changing CPU?

monkey

Padawan
My current config is mentioned in my signature. I have Windows 7 installed on my system.
I want to know that if I change my current processor to another (say PhenomII 955BE or any other) then will I have to reinstall Windows 7 (and rest of the programs) or can I simply remove the current processor and install new one without any need to disturb the softwares already installed? Rest of the config will remain same.

sainikbiswas

Right off the assembly line
i recently had a Pentium E2180 2.0 GHz and then upgraded to Pentium E5700 3.0 GHZ. I had Windows 7 Ultimate installed so after changing my processor when I rebooted and i logged in to the system and all it asked for is a restart and then done. so there is absolutely nothing u need to worry about. If however there are issues try booting in safe mode and deleting all ur motherboard drivers and then restart and log into windows normally. Then again install the drivers. One thing u should remember about AMD is the cool n quiet driver. If u have installed it installed and then u change youur processor and reboot u will get a blue screen of death so be careful.(As i once got in my case) Best would be before changing processor just uninstall all advanced drivers in order to run into driver related issues .

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Changing the proccy shud work just fine.

Also, the product ID of a genuine windows is calculated using various parameters like, proccy, mobo, hd, ram.. etc .etc..
And as long as about 40% of the hardware is the same, there is no need to activate it again.
So in your case, which is just changing a single component, I don't think there should be any problem.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
vineet369 said:
And as long as about 40% of the hardware is the same, there is no need to activate it again.
Oh I had to activate it again when I changed from FAT32 to NTFS a few years back.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ I dont think changing file system from FAT32 to NTFS can be considered as a Hardware change !

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Ofcourse it can be considered as a Hardware change.
Hopefully someone else can elaborate my point though :D

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Well, if you DO consider it as a hardware change, then as I told you it should come under 40% of the change, and so shouldn't have needed reactivation :(
Or it might be that a filesystem is considered a BIG change.

Last edited:
OP
M

monkey

Padawan
I got PhenomII X4 955BE installed and I didn't have to even reactivate Windows...:)
Thank you guys....

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Oh thank god! It worked...
Cause frankly speaking, i wasn't sure of my 40% theory.. :ashamed:
sometimes, somethings are best left to chance. (strictly speaking, when the probability is higher than 0.5) :-D

Top Bottom