Red Hat CEO Steps Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
Source: CNET News and Slashdot

The man who led Linux seller Red Hat from a newly public but largely unproven open-source company to a force to be reckoned with is giving his office to an executive largely unknown in the software industry.
In a surprise move, Red Hat said Thursday that Matthew Szulik is as president and chief executive on January 1, to be replaced by James Whitehurst, 40, Delta Air Lines' former chief operating officer.
Szulik, who took over as CEO from Bob Young in 1999 just a few months after its initial public offering, said he's stepping down because of family health issues.
"For the last nine months, I've struggled with health issues in my family," and that priority couldn't be balanced with work, Szulik said in an interview. "This job requires a 7x24, 110 percent commitment."
Szulik, who remains chairman of the board, praised Whitehurst in a statement, saying he's a "hands-on guy who will be a strong cultural fit at Red Hat" and "a talented executive who has successfully led a global technology-focused organization at Delta."
On a conference call, Szulik said Whitehurst stood "head and shoulders" above other candidates interviewed in a recruiting process. He was a programmer earlier in his career and runs four versions of Linux at home, he said.

praka123

left this forum longback
yeah.read it already!now i am doubtful about companies leads who are such able and ethical as Mathew were! :(

the ususal. too much flaming and argueing along with heated debates in the night, followed by shouting at employees and trying to meat deadlines during day, will take a huge toll on any human.:(

praka123

left this forum longback
RedHat needs to have a real spin as,Debian derivative systems are hitting top these days.give us some good package management softwares!yeah yum or pirute wont help!it just hangs!Hope rpm5 will help RedHat Linux and Fedora :)

Fedora is indeed a very nice distro the only glitch is when it comes to package management and customizations...i dont think it can stand with Ubuntu etc.

while RHEL is a rock stable distro for what it is paid for subscription!
Enterprise softwares are already flooded in all distros.

that RedHat(and community) make fedora optimized for Desktop usage with kernel and package optimization for achieving it.

praka123 said:
RedHat needs to have a real spin as,Debian derivative systems are hitting top these days.give us some good package management softwares!yeah yum or pirute wont help!it just hangs!Hope rpm5 will help RedHat Linux and Fedora :)

Fedora is indeed a very nice distro the only glitch is when it comes to package management and customizations...i dont think it can stand with Ubuntu etc.

while RHEL is a rock stable distro for what it is paid for subscription!
Enterprise softwares are already flooded in all distros.

that RedHat(and community) make fedora optimized for Desktop usage with kernel and package optimization for achieving it.
yes, rpm needs to be improved.
and fedora is good for servers/workstations, so I am happy.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
praka123 said:

And when was the last time you actually did you use Fedora? Stop assuming things are bad just because they were once. Yum is equal to apt-get in its current version in Fedora 8 and is very fast. I'm a period Fedora user since two years and I know its development.

You debians need a boot for that elitist attitude :D

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
^sorry for my incorrect knowledge :p !last time i used was Fedora 5 and the gui pirut and another one(?) forgot the name...sucked.and I felt always that Debian is different from any distro from old times.now that Ubuntu is cloning Debian repo model,there may be huge chunk of changes we can expect :)

and why did Fedora Indian community leads like Bhaishampayan Ghosh & Co developing offline installer for this distro :?(OPYUM?)_ what is the use when fedora or suse means 4 or 5 cd's err 2 DVD's ?

Yes,after so much time,am gonna try Fedora 8 LiveCD(may be install!) just to know about pulse audio(which i use in debian sid) and other features :)

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Yep try the live cd, I'm sure you'll be surprised :)

Sorry I have no knowledge about local things in the Indian Linux community.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom