Recommendations for an LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
I need a 17" LCD monitor having

:arrow: Response time < 8ms
:arrow: DVI
:arrow: Widescreen resolution (would be nice, but can do without it)

It should preferably be from a good brand like Samsung or Viewsonic.

If any of you are using DVI, is there a perceptible difference between DVI and analog input?

ajittalwar

Broken In
i've just got a va712. 8ms response time, no dvi. i read, i think at cnet, that dvi is not much of an issue as the coversion from analog to digital tech is pretty good. viewsonic does have a screen with dvi input vp and the vx series i think. you could look up techtree.com. and i think 8ms tr/tf is the best you'll get.
for me its colours redicovered with the va712.

Satissh S

Youngling
I've got an Acer AL1714.. IMO it's satisfying to spend money on it and is easy on the pockets too.. 17 inches costs anywhere between 14k to 16k. This also got the digit award i think.. :)

OP
D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
I'll be getting it from the US.

Help me choose from these 3:
ViewSonic VA712B $236 Rs. 10850
Samsung 740B $240 Rs. 11040
Both are 17", have DVI and 8ms response time.

There's also 1 monitor I found that is a 19" widescreen with DVI and within my budget
Viewsonic VA1912wb $290 Rs. 13340

Should I get one of the 17" or the widescreen 19"?

mav3r1ck

Broken In
drvarunmehta said:
I'll be getting it from the US.

Help me choose from these 3:
ViewSonic VA712B $236 Rs. 10850
Samsung 740B $240 Rs. 11040
Both are 17", have DVI and 8ms response time.

There's also 1 monitor I found that is a 19" widescreen with DVI and within my budget
Viewsonic VA1912wb $290 Rs. 13340

Should I get one of the 17" or the widescreen 19"?

if u are a gamer and have a very good graphics card which can churn out decent FPS in latest games at higher resolutions go for the 19" else settle for a 17". sony viewsonic is good. are u sure u will be paying the exact amount u mentioned above. i.e without any import duty. if yes can u buy me a $120 graphics card? i'll give the details when u reply.

cha.

PS: Viewsonic VP171s is the best in 17'' LCD. Viewsonic VX922 and Viewsonic VP930 are the best 19'' LCDs.

OP
D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
The main use of the monitor is watching movies with a light amount of gaming. That's why the widescreen is very appealing.
I'm pretty sure I can get the monitor without paying import duties. Even if I end up paying duties, its worth it because I can't seem to find many monitors here with DVI and widescreen.
I need this monitor to last me atleast 5 years (my current CRT lasted 7 years).
I don't want to spend so much and be stuck with analog for 5 years, so i'm insisting on DVI.

PS What kind of support can I expect from Viewsonic in India if I buy one from the US?

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
I think you should go in for Samsung 713N or 740N. Both are excellent monitors.

The advantage Samsung has over Viewsonic and Acer is the large number of Samsung Service Centers throughout the country.

Btw, DO NOT believe digit product reviews when you're buying anything.

Only DIGIT can give an "A" rating to CMV.

I own a Samsung 710N. The picture quality is excellent. Also, no dead pixels :)

Eazy

Journeyman
Check out the Samsung 770P - it has a 6ms true 8bit display. It is supposed to be a good one - but it is priced at Rs 28k which is double the Samsung 740N.

OP
D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
@Eazy: 28k is out of my budget

@Andy: The monitors you have recommended don't have DVI. I have already written why i'm insisting on DVI. Anyways, the 740B that i'm considering is a DVI version of the 740N. What I want to know is that is the Viewsonic 19" at 13k a better buy than a Samsung 17" at 11k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom