doctorxerxes

Right off the assembly line
Hi there,

So here's my current setup.

Processor: Intel i3 2100 at 3GHz
Motherboard: Intel DH67BL
RAM: 4GB at 667 MHz (Yes it sucks !) Single DIMM
SMPS: Antec VP550P
Current Graphics Card: Radeon HD6850 Manufacturer: Sapphire Overclocked: Yes (Manually, using Trixx)
Monitor: 1080p BENQ LED 22"
Keyboard and Mouse: CoolerMaster Devastator Combo

So I haven't been gaming much in the last 6 months and my 6850 is showing its age and would like to upgrade it. I plan to game at 1080p only but would like to push the limits as much as I can.

The first thing that needs upgrading will probably be the RAM , it sucks that my motherboard can only go to 1333Mhz.

So I have set aside 25-28k for upgrading my PC. I'm looking for suggestions as to how to fully utilise my budget to the maximum so that my gaming experience is improved.

Thanks for the help !

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Can you check whether its the processor or the graphics card that's being the bottleneck? Just run task manager in the background while playing and check if CPU usage is 100%. Also how can the RAM be 667 MHz? I don't think DDR3 comes lower than 1066. Please post the model of the RAM.

HE-MAN

Ambassador of Buzz
if you're max budget is 28k then get a r9 280x sapphire or asus and Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB which will work at lower speed coz of you're mobo.and you will save some money so you can buy a game

*mdcomputers.in/brands/sapphire/sapphire-graphics-card-r9-280x-3gb-ddr5-oc-dual-x-uefi-with-battlefield-4.html

*mdcomputers.in/brands/corsair/ram-2134254870/corsair-ram-vengeance-4gb-ddr3-1600fsb.html

under 28k plus you get battlefield 4 free

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Can you check whether its the processor or the graphics card that's being the bottleneck? Just run task manager in the background while playing and check if CPU usage is 100%. Also how can the RAM be 667 MHz? I don't think DDR3 comes lower than 1066. Please post the model of the RAM.
Buddy, DDR stands for double data rate which means it can transfer fouble the data in unit time while running at the same speed of a SD ram. The speed you see in DDR3 Ram is actually effective speed, not original speed. For example a 800 MHz DDR3 ram transfer same amount of data in one second like a 1600 MHz SD Ram. That's why it is marketed as 1600MHz, the proper term would be 1600MT/s (Mega Transfers per second). 667MHz Ram means it is the 1333 MHz DDR3

OP
D

doctorxerxes

Fill up the template: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/149373-graphic-card-buying-advice-template.html

What exactly have I missed out ?
Power supply - check
Budget - check
Resolution - check
Current specs - check

If you need any more detailed information let me know. Thanks.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Sell your CPU Mobo and GPU for about 10k
so total budget is now 28+10=38K

Get an HIS r9 280x 21k
I5 4440 12-13k
Gigabyte h81 motherboard(the cheapest you can find) 4K
Total expenditure 38K

done!

p.s.
as explained by Cilus, your RAM is not the problem and doesn't need changing.

Last edited:
OP
D

doctorxerxes

Get an HIS r9 280x 21k
I5 4440 12-13k
Total expenditure 38K

done!

p.s.
as explained by Harshil, your RAM is not the problem and doesn't need changing.

Thanks for the input. Just a quick doubt ... is the i5 4440 worth the money or can I settle for something a little cheaper ?

D

Deleted member 118788

+1 to the funkysourav suggestions and yes i5 4440 is worth it. You can also look for a used i5 2400.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Buddy, DDR stands for double data rate which means it can transfer fouble the data in unit time while running at the same speed of a SD ram. The speed you see in DDR3 Ram is actually effective speed, not original speed. For example a 800 MHz DDR3 ram transfer same amount of data in one second like a 1600 MHz SD Ram. That's why it is marketed as 1600MHz, the proper term would be 1600MT/s (Mega Transfers per second). 667MHz Ram means it is the 1333 MHz DDR3

I knew that, that's why I was confused when OP said that he has 667 MHz RAM. I though he was probably mistaken, so it's better to check first.

Get an HIS r9 280x 21k
I5 4440 12-13k
Total expenditure 38K

Also +1 for this.

Top Bottom