Recommend a nice, cheap Camcorder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

faraaz

Evil Genius
Hi, I'm looking to pick up a camcorder which takes decent to good quality video. I dont know too much about video cameras, so I will need some help with this. Not more than Rs. 20,000 since that's my budget...and yeah, I'd prefer a camcorder with an internal HD...also, it should have reasonable recording capacity at good quality!

Any suggestions?

Anindya

In the zone
U posted in the wrong section dude!

As far as i know its hard or impossible to get a HDD based camcorder at that range. U will not even get a good minidv at that range. Hdd based cams come in the range of 30-35K min. Check out the websites of sony samsung panasonic. Read reviews about models. As far as quality is concerned minidv cams r the best.

VideoEditingIndia

www.VideoEditingIndia.com
Good Quality for Rs.20000 in HDD?

No you have to choose one. Do you need

1. HDD in MPEG-2/4) or

2.Good Quality in DV (For Rs.20000)

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
What is DV? The tapes based thing right? If yes, then I don't want DV..I'll manage with memory card based video recorders.

If its something different...educate me!

Anindya

In the zone
Yes u r right DV means those small cassettes its known as MiniDV. If u buy a cam based on that then u r going to get good quality pictures.

VideoEditingIndia

Low end HDD cameras uses MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 compression for capture. It uses Inter & Intra frame compression and you will not get good quality even with 3CCD Chip.

But if you can't carry Mini DV tapes, I advice you to go with HDD, if you are not editing your shots in PC too much. (Editing MPEG-2 is a hell even with Canopus MPEG Craft!)

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
And then...the HDD cameras are more expensive...AARGH...this is such a pain.

How about those camcorders that record on DVDs...what about them?

VideoEditingIndia

No, it's even worse! If you carry the DVDs, then you can take Mini DVs with you, isn't it?

Buy Mini-DV, if can't, buy HDD. But never buy DVD based camcorders. I don't find any advantage in DVD over HDD.

HDD cams are coming now... and we are expecting cheap DV/HD - HDD camcorders soon!!! Yes it's possible with removable HDDs/MicroDrives. So you can wait for the HDD revolution.

Or if you don't care about MPEG2 artifacts, go for MPEG-2 based HDD cams. You can use high bitrate for good quality. (All Film DVDs are encoded in MPEG-2 only @ 8000-9000kbps). And if you never going to edit your footage, HDD is the best.

But in 2 years, we can find camcorders that uses your IPOD to record digital video. So think before buying HDD cams!!!

I recommend this link for further reading: *www.cnet.com.au/camcorders/camcorders/0,239035915,240061716,00.htm

Last edited:
OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
VideoEditingIndia said:
No, it's even worse! If you carry the DVDs, then you can take Mini DVs with you, isn't it?

Buy Mini-DV, if can't, buy HDD. But never buy DVD based camcorders. I don't find any advantage in DVD over HDD.

HDD cams are coming now... and we are expecting cheap DV/HD - HDD camcorders soon!!! Yes it's possible with removable HDDs/MicroDrives. So you can wait for the HDD revolution.

Or if you don't care about MPEG2 artifacts, go for MPEG-2 based HDD cams. You can use high bitrate for good quality. (All Film DVDs are encoded in MPEG-2 only @ 8000-9000kbps). And if you never going to edit your footage, HDD is the best.

But in 2 years, we can find camcorders that uses your IPOD to record digital video. So think before buying HDD cams!!!

I recommend this link for further reading: *www.cnet.com.au/camcorders/camcorders/0,239035915,240061716,00.htm
Dude, thanks so much! That was good info, i guess i'll just wait and buy a hdd recorder..

VideoEditingIndia

i'll just wait and buy a hdd recorder..

It's not a good decision. Waiting for a DV based HDD is not adviced. But you can wait for a HD based HDD camcorder.

If you planned to buy a camcorder for learning, buy a MINIDV cam. Don't waste your ages. You can upgrade it to a HD cam after 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom