Really odd popup/malware issue

Renny

Padawan
Hi,

This happens only in my home Wifi network. Popups from adsmatte keep opening when I click on a webpage. This happens on all all browsers on all devices (android, PC) connected to my Wifi network. I have installed popup blockers and run Malwarebytes too but nothing helps.

The router is DHCP configured, I've tried leaving the DNS blank and used Google DNS but the same problem persist.

What could it be? Do I need to hard reset and re-configure my router?

- - - Updated - - -

Update: Issue remain even after resetting the Wifi router. Have not resetted the ADSL modem.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Same thing happened with sisters home network..
The router is infected / hacked / exploited . probably DNS routed to some malicious server..

web browser - Malware ad.adsmatte infection - Information Security Stack Exchange

1. So factory reset
2. update router firmware
3. opendns (optional)
4. strong router passwords (may not help , some exploits can bypass this)

- - - Updated - - -

IMPORTANT! you will also have to reset DNS cache on all devices / browsers (example chrome maintains its own dns cache)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^Did all these steps help in your sis case? Infecting/hacking router is not so easy, and very very rare.
[MENTION=32443]Renny[/MENTION] - please post a small clip showing how pop ups initiate, if possible.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
In my case sis replaced the whole router before I had a chance to do these steps, so can't say. They were still getting the ads and redirects due to the dns caches

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Resetted and reconfigured router with open DNS and DHCP. Cleared DNS cache. Still no use.

I'll try positing a video later. What happens is when I left click on anywhere in the webpage the popup opens, thereafter it doesn't open again unless I refresh the page or open a new page.

- - - Updated - - -

Issue resolved. Resetted and upgraded firmwares of both the router and modem.

Top Bottom