ready boost in vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicha

High without substance...
i have a laptop which has a preinstalled VISTA home premium.(SO its ORGINAL :D).

anyway its has this function where a pen drive is used as a ram(please correct me if i am wrong).

Now i have two transcend drives, they both failed to pass the test. i even tried after formatting the drives.
Does this ready boost require some special kind of drives?

both my pen drives are V series.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yes, no Transcend drive yet supports that fast R/W for ReadyBoost. A SanDisk Cruzer drive would be able to give you ReadyBoost capabilities. But the performance difference won't be as great as you might expect. :)

And by the way, V series are the most slow of all Transcends :(

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Ready boost requires that the USB drives haf a certain minimum read/write speed. All the V series fail this test. There are also some readyboost certified drives available.

But the performance gain is negligible, at least in all the cases I've seen and experienced. You will only be shortening the life of you USB device.

OP
chicha

chicha

High without substance...
this stupid microsoft is getting good and making things which are not practical and stupid.
fools :mad:

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
^^^ quite true...

anyways you wont be noticing any performance difference....

in fact it works even slower than the hard disk... u wanna know why???

thats not beacause the flash memory is slow, its the bus which is the culprit..

the USB 2.0 works @ 480 Mbps... please dont mistake it with MBps...

480 Mbps is 480 Mega bits per second = 480/8 Mega Bytes Persecond = 60 Mega bytes per second

so no matter what any flash drive wont work more than 60 MBps on a USB 2.0 port...

Many Hard Disks give performance more than that and if u have RAID 0 then throw those thumb drives away :p hehe

i guess things will be better when USB 3.0 gets common providing a bus speed of 4800 Mbps.. then thiings will get really close to RAM....

anyways dont use it, like infra_red_dude said, u'll only be shortening the life of ur pen drive.... and trust him, flash memory is made for a specific no. of read/write cycles only... though i have never had a non-working drive due to that reason! :p

Actuallly, in my opinion ReadyBoost technology will boost performance in certain cases where the system is low on RAM and has a slow harddisk coz i think it tries to remove the bottlenecks associated with Virtual Memory Access on HardDisk Drives. Since laptops mostly have 5400 rpm drives, which are slower than certain flash drives that are ReadyBoost compatible, the results will be more clear there. With new systems with ample memories and SATA drive with/without RAID configs, the technology will have virtually no effect. Its there to improve performance when performance is actually suffering, not to improve the already good performance.

This is what i personally think. Please correct me if i am wrong somewhere. :)

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
^^^ nice post... quite summed it up...

but no visible performance boost is seen in any case, at least i dont feel so...

this is juist another

good-for-nothing-technical-advancement-patented-by-microsoft !!!

dr_jimit

Journeyman
My 4GB Jetflash V30 Passes readyboost test every time :), works good, cos i have only 384MB RAM on my Vista:D :D :D,
I think it works as a much faster virtual memory [as on HDD, but faster then HDD]
I had read somewhere that as much as u use it [ by using vista] it improves it more, so use it to see performance difference.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
dr_jimit said:
My 4GB Jetflash V30 Passes readyboost test every time :), works good, cos i have only 384MB RAM on my Vista:D :D :D,
I think it works as a much faster virtual memory [as on HDD, but faster then HDD]
I had read somewhere that as much as u use it [ by using vista] it improves it more, so use it to see performance difference.

How can it be faster than a HDD since the transfer rate of todays HDDs are upwards of 60MBps while for most Flash drives it is > 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom