Random reboots

lr7745

Broken In
Hi, I've recently been having random reboots on my computer, especially while gaming. No BSOD, just the monitor going blank and the system rebooting. The problem as of yet has not occurred while anything else (Photoshop, Illustrator, 3Ds Max etc all run just fine). Also, I've seen frame rates dropping sometimes while playing Fifa 13, Sleeping Dogs & Skyrim (only games I play). Could this be a GPU problem, or maybe it's RAM or PSU related?

My system:
i5-2500k
Intel DH67CL
GT 430
1X4 GB G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3
Cooler Master Thunder 600 Watt

I have been using this system for 1 yr+ without any problem (before the last 2 days).
Of note though, I have installed the RAM stick from my backup computer about a month ago but that stick too has been running fine for nearly a year.

Any help regarding this would be really appreciated.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
IMO, this seems to be an Overheating issue
you should check your CPU Cooler if its working properly.

also do this one thing :
install HW Info (32 bit/64 bit depending upon your OS) from this website : HWiNFO, HWiNFO32 & HWiNFO64 - Hardware Information and Analysis Tools
and check CPU temperatures after clicking on the "sensors" button if they are normal or not.

OP
L

lr7745

Broken In
Well, I have no idea what the normal temps are, but here it goes:
The GPU readings look quite high, though.
These numbers are after the computer running continuously for ~5 hrs.

CPU:
Average- 60°
Min- 58.5°
Max- 63°

GPU:
Average- 67.5°
Min-65°
Max-70°

Well, I have no idea what the normal temps are, but here it goes:
The GPU readings look quite high, though.
These numbers are after the computer running continuously for ~5 hrs.

CPU:
Average- 60°
Min- 58.5°
Max- 63°

GPU:
Average- 67.5°
Min-65°
Max-70°

You should post the min, max and average temperature readings while the pc is idling and then run a something that stresses the pc (prime95) and post the sma ereadings while the stress test is running. Post the temps of cpu, gpu, ram, hdd and chipset. And what is your current fan setup?

gameranand

Living to Play
Temps looks acceptable to me if they are on full load.

Run Prime95 for 10 mins and then report the temps, as for GPU keep GPU-Z running in background and settings defined so that it will record the maximum reading and then run a game for 30 min, close the game and see the temps.

OP
L

lr7745

Broken In
Well, here it goes (sorry for the late reply)

Idle Temps:

CPU:
Average- 61.6°
Min- 57.8°
Max- 64.5°

GPU:
Average- 55.4°
Min-54°
Max-60.8°

After running Prime95 (Blend, 15 mins):

CPU:
Average- 97.2°
Min- 97°
Max- 97.5°

GPU:
Average- 55.5°
Min- 54°
Max- 60°

HDD temp stays around 42°.

I don't have any custom cooler installed, and fan setup is stock Cooler Master Elite 360 (1X 120mm at the top, 1X 80X20 at the rear). Skyrim (at any setting whatsoever, at 1600X900) causes the pc to reboot within 5 mins, while I can ususally play Fifa for 2-3 hrs without any problem. Nothing other than gaming causes the reboots.

Last edited:
^ The CPU temperature under load is high. Which thermal paste are you using? If you are using stock thermal paste, then change it to something better like Arctic Silver 5. Also, get 2-3 more fans for a more balanced air-flow.

^ The CPU temperature under load is high. Which thermal paste are you using? If you are using stock thermal paste, then change it to something better like Arctic Silver 5. Also, get 2-3 more fans for a more balanced air-flow.

gameranand

Living to Play
Temps are too much. And I am guessing that GPU temps are not accurate because under gaming temps easily go beyond 60C.

OP
L

lr7745

Broken In

Okay, will take a look about the thermal paste. Any specific brand of fan to consider?

EDIT:
The computer is not booting up now. Rather, the monitor is not connecting to the GPU. Not a GPU problem, have checked it with another computer. Motherboard issue? All the fans are running and the green led is turning on. Have checked the monitor and RAM with the other system too, and I've even tried running using another monitor with this system.

P.S.: Should I have created a new thread for this?

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
Cooler master, Arctic would be better for TMC.

If you have checked everything already then see if some other GPU is able to connect in your Motherboard or not ??

Okay, will take a look about the thermal paste. Any specific brand of fan to consider?

EDIT:
The computer is not booting up now. Rather, the monitor is not connecting to the GPU. Not a GPU problem, have checked it with another computer. Motherboard issue? All the fans are running and the green led is turning on. Have checked the monitor and RAM with the other system too, and I've even tried running using another monitor with this system.

P.S.: Should I have created a new thread for this?

Did you removed the graphic card then connect the monitor to motherboard's vga port?

OP
L

lr7745

Broken In
Mobo doesn't have VGA port, only DVI. But I've fixed the problem, at least temporarily, by getting a DVI cable. Computer is running, if I don't connect the GPU. Any ideas whether this a motherboard issue or a PSU one? I've read here that Cooler Master PSUs aren't too reliable (wished I knew that earlier on, though). Anyway, how much should a tube of AS5 cost?

Mobo doesn't have VGA port, only DVI. But I've fixed the problem, at least temporarily, by getting a DVI cable. Computer is running, if I don't connect the GPU. Any ideas whether this a motherboard issue or a PSU one? I've read here that Cooler Master PSUs aren't too reliable (wished I knew that earlier on, though). Anyway, how much should a tube of AS5 cost?

> try using the graphic card in a desktop having reliable PSU.

> 3.5g syringe of Arctic Silver 5 costs around 650.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ look at post no.9 - Op has checkd the gfx card on another pc and ut's working fine. So the only thing is left for test isthe psu and mobo. Op can check the mobo with another gpu and the pc with another PSU if possible.

but before doing anything i would suggest Op to remount the cpu properly and use some good but non electro conductive TiMJ like CM TF400 or DeepCool Z5.

OP
L

lr7745

Broken In
Finally got everything working again. Took the whole system apart, started from scratch, and after 2-3 tries, the system is working normally (except the overheating thing). Got the thermal paste (didn't find AS5 anywhere, got Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400), and ordered the fans on Flipkart (wherever I asked for cabinet coolers/fans they either said it was unavailable or tried to sell me PSUs :lol:). Now, what should I use to remove the old thermal paste? Is spirit of ether okay to use? And how should I apply the thermal paste?

Finally got everything working again. Took the whole system apart, started from scratch, and after 2-3 tries, the system is working normally (except the overheating thing). Got the thermal paste (didn't find AS5 anywhere, got Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400), and ordered the fans on Flipkart (wherever I asked for cabinet coolers/fans they either said it was unavailable or tried to sell me PSUs :lol:). Now, what should I use to remove the old thermal paste? Is spirit of ether okay to use? And how should I apply the thermal paste?

Get IsoPropyl Alcoh for cleaning old TIM. you can get it from mobile repair shops. method of application of TIM is available at manufacturer's website (usually).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
apply a little TiM on the middle of cpu surface like this :

*images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2009/02/all-about-tim/tim2.jpg

@topgear, actually the application varies between processor and paste being used. Its best to check manufacturer's website for instructions.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
so far I can remember Arctic has some pdf manuals on this but the method pictured above is good for every cpu IMO.

Top Bottom