Random Freezes along with 'Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered'

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
I got hold of CoD AW and Far Cry 4 recently and I am enjoying them. But after 1 mission in CoD AW and after finishing the prologue and the first mission in Far Cry 4, the game randomly freezes after some time and mostly stating this reason 'Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered'. I faced this problem while play BF3 during the summers due to heat up and when I got the heating problem under control, BF3 never crashed and stopped showing this error. I still have my computer heat up since its poorly equipped with coolers but the winter keeps it under control. This is really a huge pain and since I only have a little more time to play with my finals coming up, I really need your help guys!

My Rig -
VGA - ZOTAC nVidia GFORCE GTX 560 Ti (Factory OC'd)
Processor - AMD FX 6100 6-Cores
Ram - Corsair Vengeance 4GBx2 DDR3 1600FSB
Motherboard - Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
HDD - Hitachi SATA 1TB
Mouse - Razer Deathadder 2013 with 4G optical sensor (6400dpi)
Keyboard - E-Blue SCORT PRO Gaming
Mousepad - Steelseries QCK Mass (M)
Speakers - Creative - A300
Professional Gaming Earphones + Mic - Razer Electra
Monitor - Samsung LED S22B370H
Joystick - Logitech Rumblepad 2 (Wired)
Case - CoolerMaster USP 100 Black Edition ATX
Webcam(also has mic which I don't use for gaming) - Microsoft LifeCam VX-1000
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate x86

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Run the graphic card at stock speed [ use MSI afterburner ]. Monitor how much your gfx card [ and cpu ] is heating up during gameplay [ use HWinfo ]. How many fans are there to handle the cabinet cooling. If there's only one [ stock fan comes with cabinet ] install some more fans to create a better air circulation inside of the cabinet.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Most likely, your GPU is going kaput.. happened with my last two GPUs,the issue will develop further and eventually you wont be able to even boot into your PC.. better start thinking about RMA from now

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
Most likely, your GPU is going kaput.. happened with my last two GPUs,the issue will develop further and eventually you wont be able to even boot into your PC.. better start thinking about RMA from now

You are spooking me out mate.

Run the graphic card at stock speed [ use MSI afterburner ]. Monitor how much your gfx card [ and cpu ] is heating up during gameplay [ use HWinfo ]. How many fans are there to handle the cabinet cooling. If there's only one [ stock fan comes with cabinet ] install some more fans to create a better air circulation inside of the cabinet.

I use HWinfo and my GPU doesn't cross 82 Centigrate. My CPU always remains at 50 centigrate. If I get the card at its stock speed, would it affect the gaming performance? I am able to run FC4 and CoD AW at high settings! I have 2 Fans and I installed one last year only. There is no more space for fans in the cabinet.

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
Is this forum dying? No offense cos I used to get help within 24 hours of making a new thread b4 and now its been days without any help!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
temp wise cpu and gpu both looks good. Sometime factory OCed gpus can create issues so better run it at stock clock and you won't face any considerable performance degradation.

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
Software in what @Ahsan? And top gear, I will try running a few games after clocking th GPU at stock levels. [MENTION=105611]bssunil[/MENTION] I have no virus and I'm pretty sure of that cos Norton does it's work well. As for a driver, I've tried many but none did the job and I am currently running the latest!
I will update after removing OC!

Nerevarine

Incarnate
How frequently does this happen ? do you experience freezes or texture popping up in odd places, after removing the OC ?

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
I haven't removed the OC yet since my exams are close and I don't use the computer that much. I will surely report as soon as I do. CoD AW freezes after about 7 minutes of average game time. Thought CoD AW just freezes with a black screen which I am able to close using task manager. This happens usually in the summer due to heat up but for now, I've played a lot of Far Cry 4 and it works flawless. It's been some time since I saw the directx crash pop up. I've only been playing CoD AW and FC4 from 1 month now so it's just the freeze in CoD AW as of now. One thing I want to say is that CoD AW has been running on the same high settings just as it was from the beginning but it seems the game has started lagging a lot now and I am so clueless on this one!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then most probably the problem is with CoD AW. Put all blame to it's ages old engine ;) Anyway, Try to update the game if it's not the latest version. There's also some fixed exe [ search in youtube ] which fixes a couple of things of the game that the original devs ignored.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Then most probably the problem is with CoD AW. Put all blame to it's ages old engine ;) Anyway, Try to update the game if it's not the latest version. There's also some fixed exe [ search in youtube ] which fixes a couple of things of the game that the original devs ignored.

That is not true, you cannot blame an engine to cause a problem like this..The problem, like I said, is most likely due to failing chips/caps on OP's GPU, this has happened with me twice now and substituting with a new card fixed my problems

If OP still faces the issue after :
removing overclock
clean installing new drivers
rechecking PSU

then eyes closed, this is a GPU going kaput issue

Top Bottom