Random Crash on a 7850 GPU (Asus 7850 2gb DC2 V2). Help wanted !

indiglo

Right off the assembly line
Built a New AMD based system,

all components NEW,..except the Chasis/cabinet,periperials(keyboard/mice) & the PSU(Corsair VX 550w PSU) taken from from my older 5 year+ old rig

Now the problem:

# My Brand new purchased Asus 7850 2gb GPU card( HD7850-DC2-2GD5-V2 - Graphics Cards - ASUS ), on my new machine (though it works OK with the standard windows 7Ultimate 64 bit driver-it however is very slow , any work lags much & there is No Windows AERO transparency Effect too) but once i install the specific driver for the asus 7850 gpu & reboot...my machine randomly crashes & again reboots itself ( NO BSOD,No hanging or freezing of desktop). Even on windows login, the machine Crashes & repeats the reboot! My whole machine thereby becomes very unstable until i login through Windows7 safe mode & delete the drivers! After that, windows doesNOT crash anymore & become stable again but at the cost of BIG performance Hit.The Only thing I know that,..this is just NOT right & NOT done...I didNOT pay so much for the 7850 to receive this pathetic experience!

## This things happen even i install the drivers from the Asus GPU Driver CD that came along with the Asus 7850 , or install the latest Asus specific drivers for the 7850 from the Asus website or even if i install the latest 13.4 drivers for the AMD ATI 7800 series from AMD website.The system also crashes even when i just install "only" the latest driver for the 7850 gpu without installing CCC....there is NO difference in the post driver install scenario..system crashes begins to happen again!

### the system crashes occurs even on windows8 pro exactly similar to how it happens in win7 (did clean install of windows7 twice for resolving the case,but it doesnot help)

#### the system crashes with either of my two ddr3 ram sticks(Corsair Vengeance 8gb -4x2gb(CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9) [memtest86+ tested for both the ram modules over 3 hours,passed with 0 errors]

##### the crashes occurs even when the 7850 gpu is installed in the second PCI-E 16X slot !

##### the system crash continues even after updating my motherboard(ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0)'s BIOS to latest one(from revision 1503 to rev 1708)

Further updates:

*Checked the card at local digicomp/asus service centre ,however they found the card to be good without crash or any fail..they played games,etc for 1-2 hours & no problems were found & so they didn't do rma & returned my gpu card! (psu used at s.c was a mercury 450w psu)

** ran furmark on the 7850 & it ran good(the only time when the system didnot crash soon & could complete the test)

** i swapped the 7850 in my new system with my older XFX6800gs gfx card & then my new system runs perfectly stable & good with the XFX 6800GS without any sort of crash.Played some older games at highest ultra setting for 3-4 hours & everything ran great without any hiccups anywhere on my new system with the old gpu!

*** This is my first experience with ATI Radeon & had come from Nvidia platform where i never received such an ordeal!!! Now wth is this happening??? I am completely frustrated with the experience!

Is it because of unstable driver issue for the AMD/ATI 7850GPU?
or is there some hardware level problem with my New mobo or CPU ?
or incompatible RAM (Corsair Vengeance 8gb -4x2gb(CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9) Ram(Not in Motherboards memory QVL) ?
or simply my old trusty Corsair VX550w PSU cannot drive the new GPU(7850) anymore?

**** In the Windows 7 "Event Viewer", I am finding this critical Event41, Kernel power errors, which directly corresponds to the random Window crashes which I am experiencing !

Look at the snap of Event viewer:
*oi39.tinypic.com/9vkprm.jpg

I really want to single out the culprit causing such harassment & resolving the crisis of installing the correct drivers of the 7850 & making it fully operational ASAP !

My new system configuration:

1)AMD FX8350

2)ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0

3)ASUS 7850 2GB DC2 (HD7850-DC2-2GD5-V2)

4)CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600FSB RAM ( 4X2=8GB)

* PSU : Corsair VX550W(2009 bought,.. from my old/current pc)

** HDD is a WD15EARS Green HDD brought in July 2010 (never used in any download rig...hardly used)!

If anybody has any correct knowledge & similar experience like this,please do Help !

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
Here are somethings you can look into:

1. Try updating the GFX and MoBo BIOS
2. Run memtest on your RAM modules 1 at a time and then both in dual channel. You can single out the RAM module causing the problem. You should leave the test running for atleast 6 hours.
3. Run CCCleaner to clear out the registry.
4. If possible, try a different compatible PSU.(Your PSU is good enough but Corsair cx/gs series is more optimum for a gaming gpu)
5. Try to exclude your game folders from file system scan in antivirus if this problem occurs only during gaming.

If all steps are performed and still there is no result then clearly this is a graphics card issue and service centre should RMA it for you.

Can you post a higher res screenshot? the error is not readable.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd format and reinstall Windows once more and run Catalyst 13.8 beta.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know him and he has formatted and installed win 7 and win 8 so many times but the the probelem was still there but recently heard from him that he has almost solved the issue so let's see.

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
Can you also post the temperatures? From the event viewer, mostly looks like a PSU issue. It may not be able to provide the required wattage to all components.

Top Bottom