Ran my PC for 58 hrs. at a stretch!!!

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
I ran my Desktop-PC for nearly 58 hrs. at a stretch.
Actually I was installing/updating openSUSE-13.1(x86_64) version,as I had selected the online repos.
Speed of BSNL broadband was 60kB/s in average.

Question is,will my PC be affected in any way?
I mean will the hardware be damaged due to such a long uninterrupted run?

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I ran my lappy for 4 yrs straight in college , continous downloading :p . It lasted 5 and a half years. Now i think its MB is dead as it wont start Even now my desktop stays on almost all the time since last 3 and a half years. Although after 3-4 days, the PC slows down and i face lag in operations. If there is too much lag,i reboot. Does anyone have any solution to this?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
last time my pc restarted was on 13th feb(after applying windows updates) & since 1st feb my pc was turned off for only a few minutes when ups failed to keep pc on because of a sudden voltage fluctuation.:) as long as pc temps are within limits you can keep your pc on for weeks without any issues.in fact for hard disk it is recommended to keep them on unless you plan to not use them for more than 7 hours because turning off & then turning on a hard disk once is approximately equal to ~7 hours of usage according to some reports.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I ran my lappy for 4 yrs straight in college , continous downloading :p . It lasted 5 and a half years. Now i think its MB is dead as it wont start Even now my desktop stays on almost all the time since last 3 and a half years. Although after 3-4 days, the PC slows down and i face lag in operations. If there is too much lag,i reboot. Does anyone have any solution to this?

probably your hdd may be failing.... posting a screenshot of crystal disk info will be helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran my Desktop-PC for nearly 58 hrs. at a stretch.
Actually I was installing/updating openSUSE-13.1(x86_64) version,as I had selected the online repos.
Speed of BSNL broadband was 60kB/s in average.

Question is,will my PC be affected in any way?
I mean will the hardware be damaged due to such a long uninterrupted run?

make sure you have a good psu. also keep an eye on temperature.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

probably your hdd may be failing.... posting a screenshot of crystal disk info will be helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

make sure you have a good psu. also keep an eye on temperature.
Temps. were within limits as best.
PSU has no issues.

- - - Updated - - -

last time my pc restarted was on 13th feb(after applying windows updates) & since 1st feb my pc was turned off for only a few minutes when ups failed to keep pc on because of a sudden voltage fluctuation.:) as long as pc temps are within limits you can keep your pc on for weeks without any issues.in fact for hard disk it is recommended to keep them on unless you plan to not use them for more than 7 hours because turning off & then turning on a hard disk once is approximately equal to ~7 hours of usage according to some reports.
A good and worthy assurance my Friend.
Feeling relaxed.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
I have run my laptop (DV6) for 43days 11 hrs max without shutting it down...It was used for continuously downloading from WiFi ( torrents + DC) ...
I dont think it affects your PC's health in any significant way,provided your adapter is in good health,and the temperatures remain just fine.If I am wrong,please correct me.:mrgreen:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
@OP : I have a friend, who possibly has IQ around 60, if not less, keeps saying me 'U NO DNLD 24x7', 'UR PROASESSWAR WL B BARNED', yet he is that mothersucker who takes all the games from me.
So unless you have someone around you that much idiot, you are safe :D I keep my lappy on for three / four days straight. So a desktop, well leave it dude. I know a lot of colleagues and friends who keep their desktop on, and maybe turns off once or twice per month, and have been doing that for one decade if not more. I just don't keep my desktop on cause it sucks 160+ watts in Idle.
It's beyond us how much stress a CPU could take. But still, the ambient temperature should be in control. Also if you are gamer, then kindly change the TIM every two / three months, it's a huge factor.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

@OP : I have a friend, who possibly has IQ around 60, if not less, keeps saying me 'U NO DNLD 24x7', 'UR PROASESSWAR WL B BARNED', yet he is that mothersucker who takes all the games from me.
So unless you have someone around you that much idiot, you are safe :D I keep my lappy on for three / four days straight. So a desktop, well leave it dude. I know a lot of colleagues and friends who keep their desktop on, and maybe turns off once or twice per month, and have been doing that for one decade if not more. I just don't keep my desktop on cause it sucks 160+ watts in Idle.
It's beyond us how much stress a CPU could take. But still, the ambient temperature should be in control. Also if you are gamer, then kindly change the TIM every two / three months, it's a huge factor.
That's the point the power consumption.
I usually do not keep my Desktop-PC open for such along time.Moreover this thing occured on the chilly Winter nights,at the start of Feb. 2014.Ambient temp. was around 17 degrees celsius.
Actually BSNL BB sucks...so the whole setup for downloading/upgrading sucks...consequently the power bill rises.

Mate, I am not a "Gamer".

Neuron

Electronic.
My laptop hasn't been turned off for a week now. Continuously running your PC shouldn't be a problem. There's is a minimum lifetime for the electronic components like capacitors and such which is around 6 or 7 years normally.

Top Bottom