RAM Upgrade (2014 CPU)

toshar

New to this forum
Greeting,
Hope you all doing good during this Lockdown period. Stay Safe, Stay at Home.

I am looking for RAM upgrade in my desktop PC mainly for casual gaming.

Config - OS W8, AMD FX6300, Giga GA970A DS3P, R7 260x OC 2GB, Hyper 212X, 4gb Kingston HyperX Fury, WD Blue 2Tb + 2TB, 500W CM PSU and some more blingy stuff. I assembelled this machine my self during my college days. I use to play to Crysis 1 2 3, Hitman Absolution, COD 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, Battlefield, etc etc

After college I started working in my field and didn't use this machine at all for good 4 years. Now during this lockdown I installed COD series again and which is running at healthy 60 fps with sync every frame all ultra settings (all cod upto Black Ops 2). FPS dropped with COD Ghosts and game struggles with Ultra settings flying around 20-40 fps. Lowering the setting is option but I feel to update the RAM atleast.

Which RAM I should I got with now? Same King HyperX 4gb or I can opt for 8gb to make it like 12gb? My mobo has 4 x DDR3 DIMM socket suports upto 64gb. is 4+8gb combination good or I should got with 4+4 gb?

Note - This PC works extremely fast no matter what work (Solid works, Catia) I throw at it with current config. Just want to upgrade ram for a few more FPS in Latest Games.

Attachments

• DSC03003.JPG
    DSC03003.JPG
    308.7 KB · Views: 89

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
How will you buy ram anyway,shops are closed & online sites are currently disabled temporarily for non-essential buying.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Greeting,
Hope you all doing good during this Lockdown period. Stay Safe, Stay at Home.

I am looking for RAM upgrade in my desktop PC mainly for casual gaming.

Config - OS W8, AMD FX6300, Giga GA970A DS3P, R7 260x OC 2GB, Hyper 212X, 4gb Kingston HyperX Fury, WD Blue 2Tb + 2TB, 500W CM PSU and some more blingy stuff. I assembelled this machine my self during my college days. I use to play to Crysis 1 2 3, Hitman Absolution, COD 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, Battlefield, etc etc

After college I started working in my field and didn't use this machine at all for good 4 years. Now during this lockdown I installed COD series again and which is running at healthy 60 fps with sync every frame all ultra settings (all cod upto Black Ops 2). FPS dropped with COD Ghosts and game struggles with Ultra settings flying around 20-40 fps. Lowering the setting is option but I feel to update the RAM atleast.

Which RAM I should I got with now? Same King HyperX 4gb or I can opt for 8gb to make it like 12gb? My mobo has 4 x DDR3 DIMM socket suports upto 64gb. is 4+8gb combination good or I should got with 4+4 gb?

Note - This PC works extremely fast no matter what work (Solid works, Catia) I throw at it with current config. Just want to upgrade ram for a few more FPS in Latest Games.

Get 8Gb module. 4+8Gb is good enough config. If possible get another hyperX.

OP
toshar

toshar

New to this forum
How will you buy ram anyway,shops are closed & online sites are currently disabled temporarily for non-essential buying.
4gb Ram is almost bottleneck as of now and anyhow I am willing to update it sooner or later. I will update the ram or GPU or even CPU just after this lockdown period or as soon as market return to its position.
What an engineer can think of while sitting free for weeks!
I just realized that Gaming was also a part of me before, lets bring it out again and spend couple of Ks on computer things.

OP
toshar

toshar

New to this forum
Get 8Gb module. 4+8Gb is good enough config. If possible get another hyperX.
Yes I will buy the HyperX fury version of the ram. I heard this long before that ram should be either use a single stick or in pair of same config. Is it true that 4+8gb wont work that good if it would be 4+4 or 8+8 ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
4gb Ram is almost bottleneck as of now and anyhow I am willing to update it sooner or later. I will update the ram or GPU or even CPU just after this lockdown period or as soon as market return to its position.
What an engineer can think of while sitting free for weeks!
I just realized that Gaming was also a part of me before, lets bring it out again and spend couple of Ks on computer things.
Don't spend on anything other than 8gb ram as suggested above,if you want to upgrade your gpu then you will have to upgrade your entire system(processor+mobo+ram+psu) as FX6300 is obsolete nowadays & will be a bottleneck for even mid range graphics card.

Yeah this shutdown is making many people discover things they forgot.:)

icebags

Technomancer
i wouldn't tell anyone to spend anything for a FX6300. see if one of your friends may have upgraded to latest ddr4 system, may be they can give you a ddr3 stick for free for some time. or you may get one second hand un-repaired ram at lower price from someone.

OP
toshar

toshar

New to this forum
@laurayuan @SaiyanGoku @whitestar_999 @topgear

Thank you all for the quick response. I used this forum in 2014 for the first time and it still rocks. Applause for the moderators.
As for the ram, I tried troubleshooting infinity warfare and World War 2 with every possible way, with least resolution and setting but they denied every time. It may work with more amount of ram and I was about to go with the same D3 HyperX 8gb to make overall 12gb as suggested and have made a known retailer to keep it handy but Lockdown extended. :)
Anyways, all other games except these 2 running absolutely fine at ultra-settings. Gonna replay them.

@icebags I have just relocated to a different remote place and sourcing a DDR3 stick is not possible here. The only thing left is to wait for lockdown end and market re-open. Even I thought to update this 5 year old system but a of now this FX6300 running good. May be by next year.

Thanks to all.
Stay safe, stay home

Top Bottom