RAM problem(maybe....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paschim

Right off the assembly line
Well my computer sometimes hangs, and sometime won't start. My pc-mechanic says the RAM is lose......and if I push it a bit into the slot(I dont feel or see any difference) and restart everything works fine for a couple of days. I hav a D865GBF intel motherboard.....tell me what to do plzzzz.

martian

Broken In
Well Paschim, RAM may not always be the problem maker... I think the problem is with your PC's SMPS (Power Supply unit). System hangs often when it's SMPS cannot supply enough power to all your PC components.

Please tell me your hardware specs and your SMPS power rating.

OP
P

Paschim

Ummmm.....I hav 80gb harddisk, 256mb ram, 589 virtual memory(lol), and I dont know how to see the smps power capacity....how do i find it?

martian

Broken In
Oops! You don't know about your PSUs SMPS rating?? I think it's time you disassemble your system cabinet! It will be on the back of your PSU, say 350W... You got a seperate GPU? What is your Processor? Are you giving power to your Monitor from your PC's PSU?

janitha

Wise Old Owl
martian said:
Oops! You don't know about your PSUs SMPS rating?? I think it's time you disassemble your system cabinet! It will be on the back of your PSU, say 350W... You got a seperate GPU? What is your Processor? Are you giving power to your Monitor from your PC's PSU?

Connecting the monitor to the bypass socket of SMPS will not overload the SMPS, though it is better to power the monitor from a UPS or mains.

martian

Broken In
janitha said:
Connecting the monitor to the bypass socket of SMPS will not overload the SMPS, though it is better to power the monitor from a UPS or mains.
Oops! I did not know that... I thought connecting a PC monitor to the Cabinets PSU will draw power from the same PSU... Thanx!

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Well ....is ur system overheating??....send us the processor,mobo,hard disk..temp...both idle and at load...
Which SMPS are u using??

martian

Broken In
See Paschim, SMPS has to be the Culprit! Your PC assembler probably gave you a 300W or lower SMPS... Mm, RAM plays the Culprit on a few occassions though... But if what your vendor says is right, then probably you'll have to service your Motherboard PCI DIMM slot.

Well, what you got to do first is check your SMPS watting... But, you've not mentioned your system specs?? CPU, GPU, etc...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Without knowing about the CPU, Mobo and other periperals we do not know about the probable power consumption and without that it is not proper to accuse the PSU.

cyrux

In the zone
janitha said:

How is that janitha ? I thought the SMPS would be providing power to the monitor then

janitha

Wise Old Owl
cyrux said:
How is that janitha ? I thought the SMPS would be providing power to the monitor then

The output from SMPS are direct current voltages like 12V, 5V, 3.3V etc.,while the monitor needs 230V AC because it has its own SMPS like TVs. The socket on the back of the SMPS is in fact a bypass socket giving out the same voltage supplied to it.

OP
P

Paschim

whatever it is I guess it is out of my hands so I better send it for service. Thx anyways guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom