RAM Configuration

petermarker

Broken In
Hello all.
I just added a transcend 2gb ddr2 800mhz ram module to my system which already consisted of a kingston 1gb ddr2 800mhz module.

The kingston module runs at 6-6-6-18.
Transcend module at 5-5-5-15.

The problem is that both these modules are now running at 667mhz as shown in my BIOS with settings set to 'Auto mode'.
I manually changed the frequency to 800mhz and tried to change the timings to 6-6-6-18(lower of the two);
but the last parameter(18) has only values from 10 to 15 in the options.
So is it okay to set it to 15 i.e. will the kingston module be able to handle 15 instead of 18.
or should I leave it as it is in automatic mode(performance difference between 667 and 800mhz)?
Also the bios shows ram in dual channel mode which i know is wierd as one module is 2gb and the other 1gb.

Configuration:
Intel Core2Duo E7300, Intel DG43NB mainboard[only 2 ram slots], 1gb kingston ddr2 800mhz + 2gb transcend ddr2 800mhz, , XFX Nvidia 9500GT, VIP 500watt psu.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
set Ram speed @ 800Mhz under bios and leave SPD/Memory Timing settings on Auto - bios will automatically select the proper timings for both modules.

There's nothing weird about 1GB and 2GB module running in Dual channel mode - your mobos chipset supports Intel Flex memory tech which allows different capacity ram modules to work together in dual channel mode.

Top Bottom