Rally champion Colin McRae dies with son in helicopter crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
Rally champion Colin McRae dies with son in helicopter crash

THE former rally driving champion Colin McRae was killed and his five year-old son feared dead in a helicopter crash yesterday afternoon. The aircraft came down in Jerviswood, Lanarkshire, half a mile from the family's home and burst into flames just after 4pm.

Jean-Eric Freudiger, McRae's agent, said the 39-year-old driver had been piloting the helicopter himself. Also on board were believed to be his son Johnny, another adult - said by locals to be a school friend of McRae - and another child. McRae's wife Alison and their daughter Hollie, 9, were not on board, friends said.

Strathclyde police said in a statement: "Four people were onboard the helicopter," adding "The bodies were found within the helicopter which is owned by Mr Colin McRae of Jerviswood House, Lanark. It is believed he was onboard the helicopter."

McRae became Britain's first World Rally champion in 1995. He was one of the country's most successful sportsmen, achieving 25 wins in World Rally events and 42 podium places. He was a flamboyant driver, inspiring one the world's best-selling computer rally games.

The helicopter came down within half a mile of McRae's 16th-century home, which has an adjacent helipad. The weather had been overcast, with southwesterly winds gusting to 30 knots and good visibility.

"It's so ironic that he should die in a helicopter crash when he had competed and had brushed with death so many times as a rally driver."

*www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece

My tributes to the father and son, may they rest in peace.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
damn !!!!!!!!!! he earned so much respect and wealth now thats all gone ... fate always has other plans

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
How much effort does it takes to type " Rest in Peace ". Rip sounds like May your soul rip apart.
Too Bad news.Its so frustrating when men of caliber die in some meaningless accidents.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Man i never knew he was even alive. I though he must have been some former years legend, even if he was a legend, i expected him to be pretty old.
Must have been a real champ!!

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
I saw half the title of this thread on the front page .. I hoped I hoped it was some news about a new rally video game but this was a shocker heck!!

RIP CMR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom