Question regarding windows XP automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
hi all...

I would like to make a completely unattended windows XP CD...

The problem is that.. i want windows to be installed on the first partition of the disk. If windows is already installed in the first partition, the setup should format the partition with NTFS file system and install fresh copy of windows there..

I have got some info that this can be done using diskpart but i donno how to write script...

pls help me...

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
Actually i m trying to build an "Unattended or automated" setup CD. I should pre-configure the settings so that the setup should not ask me anything during installation.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
U need just this:

*unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

Also if u look into the Setup folder of XP, u'll get SUPPORT\TOOLS]DEPLOY.CAB file, just extract it and run the Setupmgr.exe file. It also helps u in creating unattended installation! :)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
i preffer to go with mnfn and nlite... much more flexibility with them... :) but so many option as i have seen to make a prefect Disk often its in DVD size !! :p

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
@Vishal..

I have followed the link that u sent me in PM..(the same link above) and i was able to create an answering file..

but..from the same site the following source tells u..

If you prefer to manually choose a partition during text-mode setup with full control on choice of file system, then make sure you have these lines set as they are under the [Data] and [Unattended] sections in winnt.sif:

Code:
[Data]
AutoPartition=0

[Unattended]
FileSystem=*
If you want to automate this process with exact specifics on drive letters, partition sizes and file systems, you may want to consider using Bart's PE and diskpart.

in the same site, in the reference page, i also got the following info...

Code:
AutoPartition=0

If you have the selection on 1 then Windows Setup will install the OS on any free partition that is available. If you remove this line or if you put AutoPartition=0 then setup will ask you on which partition you wish to install Windows onto and advises you what to do if your partition already contains an OS.

Thats why i thought i would require diskpart for doing that... i did found some code regarding this... but that code is all about creating new partitions..

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I think if u put following lines, then it should serve the purpose:

Code:
TargetPath=C:\WINDOWS
ProgramFilesDir="C:\Program Files"
CommonProgramFilesDir="C:\Program Files\Common Files"
ProfilesDir="C:\Documents and Settings\"

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
ya it was a nice idea [:)]..

but it seems it do not format the drive in such case [:(]

I need to format c: with NTFS before installing

aadipa

Padawan
Repartition
Value:Yes | No

Specifies whether all partitions on the first drive on the client computer are deleted and the drive reformatted with the NTFS file system.

Important
Repartition is valid only when performing an unattended Setup by booting the computer from the Windows product CD.

This will delete all (not only first) partitions on first drive. May be not what you exactly want.

For more info ->
XP-CD-ROOT\Support\Tools\Deploy.cab
look for ref.chm file in that cab file.

utsavhanda

Broken In
For AUTOMATING WINDOWS 98/ME/2000/XP/2003 & Tutorials For Making Bootable CD/DVD, Just Use 'UWin Installer'

Visit,

*www.uwininstaller.co.nr
*www.uwininstaller.uni.cc

Regards
Utsav Handa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom