Query regarding memory modules support to mobos

vwad

In the zone
Hi Friends & Stalwarts,

I have a query. Suppose, I want to buy DDR3 RAM and Mobo. I see mobo memory modules supported list on the mobo website. Will it be must to choose exact same modules mentioned in that list or any modules can be installed on any mobo of same type like DDR3 1333 OR DDR 1600 Etc.

If the memory module name that long alpha-numerical number is not listed in the mobo memory modules list, will it not support or take as active that particular module if installed ?

Hope I have put my query neatly and not in vague manner :)

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
This is how it goes down:
There are many IC manufacturers (integrated circuits) and those manufacturers at times relabel/modify eachother's ICs which not many end users/enthusiasts come to know unless they are actively involved. Motherboard manufacturers get their hands on review/media/retail (at times, especially those who buy them and then get reimbursed provided the company agreed) samples and test it out with their stress testing softwares. If it works, they add it on the list and mention which bios version/rev version is compatible from.

Its not possible/feasible (as far as time is concerned) for mobo manufacturers to do this with all memory module manufacturers with different ICs, models, series, rev versions, latencies, voltage, etc with/without intel xmp enabled, etc. Reasons:
# If you see the world, there are lot of ram manufacturers out there and each company has a lot of series/versions alone.
# Its not possible to get review sample everytime a series is revised. Engineering/media samples are usually from the 1st production batches.
# Some memory manufacturers can't afford/bother to send out to every mobo manufacturers every time they update/introduce something new- ECS, Intel, foxconn, gigabyte, asus, biostar, zotac, xfx, evga, etc.
# Few mobo brands take their sweet time to get the bios for many reasons, most of them are pretty legit. There's a gap in communication between the mobo and memory manufacturers hence the list is not updated.
# Not everyone does it, but some companies don't want to tell specifically that a specific ram type is not compatible as it will hamper sales and PR.

My point is it will most likely be supported. There are few cases that rams are not stable/letting you to boot, out of which some cases are resolved by setting them within particular voltage/timings for the time being. I have seen compatibility/stability issues on some msi boards with factory bios (haven't seen if they are compatible with newer ones) and heard few kingston xms3 issues but nothing serious. Compatibility issues is always the responsibility of the mobo manufacturers (unless ram manufacturers make an evil pact with 1 mobo company and make it exclusive). I am not saying other rams are universal in nature, but most end up being compatible usually unless they are made to be specifically compatible with a particular chipset, usually ram manufacturers label it out.

That's why memory companies now specify- Intel 1156/1366 compatible/AMD compatible. As far as my observation, I haven't heard much memory compability/stability issues between most Gigabyte/asus ROG board, except certain boards with amd chipset not being compatible/stable with rams specifically made for LGA1156 dual channel, even though by the looks of the specs on papers, it should be without any hassles.

At the end of the day, if you don't see the choice of the rams on the memory compatibility list, either you can choose something that is on the list or take a chance and buy it. Best way to reduce that is to update mobo bios. There are times where mobo manufacturers do minor changes in memory compatibility department and don't mention it on the bios update history. There's really not much choice but yeah incompatiblity does get solved unless manufacturers don't make an effort. I hope this answers the question in a somewhat detailed manner.

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
This is how it goes down:
There are many IC manufacturers (integrated circuits) and those manufacturers at times relabel/modify eachother's ICs which not many end users/enthusiasts come to know unless they are actively involved. Motherboard manufacturers get their hands on review/media/retail (at times, especially those who buy them and then get reimbursed provided the company agreed) samples and test it out with their stress testing softwares. If it works, they add it on the list and mention which bios version/rev version is compatible from.

Its not possible/feasible (as far as time is concerned) for mobo manufacturers to do this with all memory module manufacturers with different ICs, models, series, rev versions, latencies, voltage, etc with/without intel xmp enabled, etc. Reasons:
# If you see the world, there are lot of ram manufacturers out there and each company has a lot of series/versions alone.
# Its not possible to get review sample everytime a series is revised. Engineering/media samples are usually from the 1st production batches.
# Some memory manufacturers can't afford/bother to send out to every mobo manufacturers every time they update/introduce something new- ECS, Intel, foxconn, gigabyte, asus, biostar, zotac, xfx, evga, etc.
# Few mobo brands take their sweet time to get the bios for many reasons, most of them are pretty legit. There's a gap in communication between the mobo and memory manufacturers hence the list is not updated.
# Not everyone does it, but some companies don't want to tell specifically that a specific ram type is not compatible as it will hamper sales and PR.

My point is it will most likely be supported. There are few cases that rams are not stable/letting you to boot, out of which some cases are resolved by setting them within particular voltage/timings for the time being. I have seen compatibility/stability issues on some msi boards with factory bios (haven't seen if they are compatible with newer ones) and heard few kingston xms3 issues but nothing serious. Compatibility issues is always the responsibility of the mobo manufacturers (unless ram manufacturers make an evil pact with 1 mobo company and make it exclusive). I am not saying other rams are universal in nature, but most end up being compatible usually unless they are made to be specifically compatible with a particular chipset, usually ram manufacturers label it out.

That's why memory companies now specify- Intel 1156/1366 compatible/AMD compatible. As far as my observation, I haven't heard much memory compability/stability issues between most Gigabyte/asus ROG board, except certain boards with amd chipset not being compatible/stable with rams specifically made for LGA1156 dual channel, even though by the looks of the specs on papers, it should be without any hassles.

At the end of the day, if you don't see the choice of the rams on the memory compatibility list, either you can choose something that is on the list or take a chance and buy it. Best way to reduce that is to update mobo bios. There are times where mobo manufacturers do minor changes in memory compatibility department and don't mention it on the bios update history. There's really not much choice but yeah incompatiblity does get solved unless manufacturers don't make an effort. I hope this answers the question in a somewhat detailed manner.

Thanks. This is very good answer I must say. Very informative & all inclusive.

Thanks a ton. :)

Top Bottom