Query regarding cabinet,smps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Hey guys first of all i didn't know in which sticky thread i should be putting this,so i made a new topic(apologies to the mods)..i have a query regarding cabinets & smps & cooling solutions..

my current confi is

Xtreme cabinet with 500smps power(a co. called xenitis in west bengal)

*infotech.xenitisgroup.com/products/cabinet.html
(model 8010)

Asus M2A VM HDMI
Amd64 X2 4800
2gb transcend ddr2 ram
250gb seagate Sata2
500gb seagate sata2
Altec lansing MX-5021

i have been having this confi for 2 years now(500 gb bought 6months ago) but recently i have been noticing that my computer is getting heated up a hell lot.My hard disk regularly goes above 50C & my comp temp ha an average temp of 65C at idle.I do plan to install new hardwares like a 1tb sata2 Hard disk,a graphics card etc but for that i realised i need a good cooling solution & some decent amount of power.I plan to buy a new cabinet & smps for my comp before installing other hard wares..(i don't really know whether new cabinet can help in cooling but i have heard some cabinets like antec lanboy does)So could anyone pls suggest me a good cabinet with really good cooling solution(in which i can later add 120mm fans)I cannot risk my graphics card & other hard wares to get too hot so could someone pls suggest a good cabinet without smps(as i plan to buy it separately) with good cooling solutions.My budget is around 5k..also could someone suggest me a good smps co. with some power as i plan to have 3 hard disk & a graphics card in the future.I hope u understand my point of need.I stay in mumbai.so could anyone suggest me one which is available in my city.Thanks
*infotech.xenitisgroup.com/products/cabinet.html

fuzzz

Broken In
id suggest you go for a cooler master CM690 . its a good cabinet with loads of fans and also has proper cable management. it comes for about 4k but no smps.
for smps you can try coolermaster 600W extreme or Crosair 450W

as for purchasing it. if you live in the suburbs you can try www.itwares.com
or if you live in town u can try www.primeabgb.com
you dont have to purchase it online . you can get their nos and contact then .. both should give you good prices.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
whats the price of the smps u mentioned??my budget is around 5k for that as well??isn't 450w is kindaa less?hows antec lan boy,asus vento??i can't buy it online as i do not have a credit card..so it would be nice if its available in lamington or something..& having 3 hard disk..is it dangerous??Thanks for the suggestion btw..

fuzzz

Broken In
umm your budget is a total of 5k for both smps and case ?
i thought it was 5k just for the case.

well the 450W SMPS from crosair is very very good from what i have heard. and it should do just fine so long as you are not planning to go sli/Xfire

well i dont know abt the cases you have mentioned. but afaik antec cases are slightly on the expensive side. and they also do not come with smps. antec is more exp than coolermaster.

you got me wrong about the sites.
if u live nearby lamington road then you can go to the primeabgb site and get their contact info, call them regarding prices and go buy from them or have it deliverd.

if however you live near andheri/bandra etc etc then get in touch with the itwares guy . his office would be closer afaik. you can get their contact no of the sites i gave you, and also a price quote

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
umm your budget is a total of 5k for both smps and case ?
i thought it was 5k just for the case.

well the 450W SMPS from crosair is very very good from what i have heard. and it should do just fine so long as you are not planning to go sli/Xfire

well i dont know abt the cases you have mentioned. but afaik antec cases are slightly on the expensive side. and they also do not come with smps. antec is more exp than coolermaster.

you got me wrong about the sites.
if u live nearby lamington road then you can go to the primeabgb site and get their contact info, call them regarding prices and go buy from them or have it deliverd.

if however you live near andheri/bandra etc etc then get in touch with the itwares guy . his office would be closer afaik. you can get their contact no of the sites i gave you, and also a price quote

oh nope..sorry for the confusion...smps & a cabinet with a maximum budget of 5000 each...so adds upto 10k...

oh ok..some people were saying that 450w might be a bit less because i will be adding a graphics card & an hd(i have zero knowledge about the power requirement,so i have no clue as to how much is enough)

Thanks for the clarifying about the cabinets & the sites.Actually i stay quite far from lamington(chembur)I am just used to going to lamington for everything so thats y i had mentioned it

another thing i need to ask u is whether installing 3 hard disk...is it dangerous??

johnthedevil

Broken In
^As long as you have a good enough PSU with enough wattage and 80+ effiency and active PFC then it is nothing to worry about :D
Remember that the PSU you are going to buy largely depends on the graphics card you are intending to buy later : Post an approximate budget for the graphics card and it might be possible to give an approx need the power it will take:

As far as cooling goes if you have the topmost cabinet and do not do good cable management or have alligned the fans wrongly then it is a goner mate while on the other hand a decent cabinet with good cable management and properly alligned limited number of fans will also keep your system components good enough on the long run

Google for "How to videos cable management inside cabinet computer system" and see some videos to get a fair idea for what to do :p

As for the cabinet the above suggested is the best of the lot you can get for in that price range

fuzzz

Broken In
hmm with a budget of 10k .. check out antec 900 ..
it is 1 smecksy looking case... should come for around 7k ish..if u get lower even better..
as for ur psu requirments.. the Vx450 should be able to handle a single gfx no probs.
i am using the coolermaster 600W extreme edition and have no problem powering like 4 fans,2 HDD, 1 8800gt gfx card,1 DVD drive and ofcource the mobo and proccy ..
and this particular psu is supposed to be sli ready .. so i should be even able to connect to gfx cards with it.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
i haven't decided on a graphics card yet..i will be prolly buying a graphics card sometime in july...but the approx budget would prolly be max of 6000 bucks...haven't decided on any card yet...don't know of any...

antec 900 is expensive its around 7k..my max budget limit for a cabinet is 5k...so antec 900 is out...
@fuzz...so it is okay then for me to go for the 450w or the cooler master 600w...Whats the price of the corsair 450w one??so according to what i understand,450w one should be enough to power a comp with a graphics card & 4 fans right?

Last edited:

fuzzz

Broken In
yep..
the Vx450 comes for about 3.7-3.9k
the cooler master though comes for about 3k ish..
as to why such a diff?
its with regards to the internal components.. as well as the amperage available in both the smps

well if your budget is only around 6-8k for gfx card then no problems at all .. cards in those range dont require much power

Last edited:
OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
hey thanks a lot midhirpradhan & fuzz,read some reviews about 450w...seems to be pretty good..since grahpics card is so essential to decide the smps,if u don't mind could u suggest a good graphics card too??

i can't seem to understand the new ddr3 cards....which motherboards are compatible with ddr3 graphics card???

fuzzz

Broken In
it doesnt matter which ddr memory your graphics card uses.
wether its ddr2/ddr3 or ddr5 (it only effects the performance of your card)
it will work on any motherboard, so long as you have enough power and a pciex slot ;)

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
oh ok if u don't mind could u suggest me a good graphics card as well...btw thanks for helping me with the cabinet selction & the smps

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
For cabinet CM690 - It has the best air circulation
For PSU CM Real Power 550W Rs. 5500
For GFX Card Palit 9600GT 512MB DDR3 Rs. 5800

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
it doesnt matter which ddr memory your graphics card uses.
wether its ddr2/ddr3 or ddr5 (it only effects the performance of your card)
it will work on any motherboard, so long as you have enough power and a pciex slot ;)

Oh ok..i thought it was like the memory RAMS where its distinguished with its slots...

For cabinet CM690 - It has the best air circulation
For PSU CM Real Power 550W Rs. 5500
For GFX Card Palit 9600GT 512MB DDR3 Rs. 5800

Erm CM real power kindaa exceeds by max budget of 5k for the smps..but compared to the 450w corsair vx,which one is more efficient??

which one would be more efficient in powering the palit graphic card,3 or max 4 hard disk & possibly 4gb ram?

another question is i am sry to bring this again is y is the smps which usually come with cabinets less efficient than say a corsair or CM?I had 3 500w smps which comes with cabinets damaged for some unknown reason...

Last edited:

fuzzz

Broken In
well its because of the components used inside the smps.
you may or may not know this.. our pcs use dc supply and not ac. so the smps has to rectify the ac to dc.. make it smooth and then also handle the load. the cheap smps that you get with the case have a max output of about 250-300W if that also.

you can make it out just by holding the 2 different psu in both your hands.
you will notice the weight difference.
there was a guide which explained everything about psu . try searching for guide to buying power supply.

ronnie. for your requirments, i think a cooler master 600W extreme psu would be just right. but it has a lower effeciency of 70% as compared to the Vx450's 80%

so if i were you , i would stick to the VX450 from crossair.that should be enough for you. :)

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
well its because of the components used inside the smps.
you may or may not know this.. our pcs use dc supply and not ac. so the smps has to rectify the ac to dc.. make it smooth and then also handle the load. the cheap smps that you get with the case have a max output of about 250-300W if that also.

you can make it out just by holding the 2 different psu in both your hands.
you will notice the weight difference.
there was a guide which explained everything about psu . try searching for guide to buying power supply.

ronnie. for your requirments, i think a cooler master 600W extreme psu would be just right. but it has a lower effeciency of 70% as compared to the Vx450's 80%

so if i were you , i would stick to the VX450 from crossair.that should be enough for you. :)

@fuzz thanks for explaining the difference between the smps...it finally makes sense..:)long back i had an ati card.Those times i never bothered about power & cooling.The card blew up in 2 days.Couldn't repair it in warranty as my cousin had brought it from United states.Thats y i have been stressing a lot on power & cooling this time.:)
hows the palit card btw???i basically use my comp to play games & watch movies...so will the palit 9600GT support majority of the games in the market??will it be fine with corsair 450w???

could anyone pls clarify pls?

could anyone pls clarify pls?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom