Query about dell s2240l

bayern_tig

Broken In
I'm looking to buy the s2240l full HD monitor, but it comes only with hdmi and VGA ports. The monitor comes with VGA cable In the box. Will there be any quality difference while watching hd movies through VGA port compared to hdmi? Any suggestions.
Note: my gpu supports both hdmi and VGA

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Use Hdmi anyday over Old Vga.

Watch this video to clear all your doubts

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMVDejZH4kw

napsterv

Journeyman
Yes. VGA is analog signal and others are digital signal. Picture quality depends on VGA cable if you're using VGA. As the above person said, use HDMI or Display Port or DVI.

sudhir_3193

Journeyman
having personal experience, there is significant difference of video and sound quality on hdmi compared to vga. Hdmi is far superior to vga.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
^FYI, it is impossible to have a sound quality difference between VGA and HDMI because VGA doesnt even have sound inbuilt

and from my personal experience regarding VGA and DVI-D on my Dell IN2030M, i have found 0 difference between them.. i connected both to the same source, set brightness contrast and color at same levels, loaded up 5-6 images in a slideshow and switched display input source.. I found absolutely no difference at all, so ill just stick to using VGA as it frees up my DVI D slot to attach my laptop

itsakjt

Broken In
S2240L has HDMI and VGA. I use a Dell S2240M which has DVI and VGA. There is significant difference in the two. First of all, the output when using VGA has less sharpness and colors than DVI-D. Also depending on your environment(whether there are any transformers, dish antennae etc), a VGA signal is susceptible to noise with which you will see disturbances in the screen. Dell gives a DVI cable with the S2240M as well as a VGA cable. But the S2240L is not supplied with a HDMI cable. So if you buy that monitor, I would suggest get a good quality HDMI cable as well to use it at its full potential.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I have the same monitor as OP but I have never tried HDMI. Probably I should one of these days.

HDMI being a digital standard what difference would the quality of cable produce? All HDMI cables will carry the same data and for picture quality will only depend on the bits. Would you mean to say that lower quality cables drop a few bits here and there?

itsakjt

Broken In
I have the same monitor as OP but I have never tried HDMI. Probably I should one of these days.

HDMI being a digital standard what difference would the quality of cable produce? All HDMI cables will carry the same data and for picture quality will only depend on the bits. Would you mean to say that lower quality cables drop a few bits here and there?
A bad quality HDMI cable may even produce artifacts and cause loose connection issues. So get a good quality one.

Top Bottom