Quality of HP laptops over Dell

nandu26

In the zone
How is HP pavilion laptops when compared to Dell? HP has laptops under 50K which I am interested to buy but worried of quality issues.

I want to know whether brightview display in HP will be better than Dell Truelife?

Budget is not a problem for me but laptop display should be good.

aniket.cain

Padawan
How is HP pavilion laptops when compared to Dell? HP has laptops under 50K which I am interested to buy but worried of quality issues.

I want to know whether brightview display in HP will be better than Dell Truelife?

Better go to a store and check the displays side by side. I have a HP DV6 which is 2.5 yrs old and has a 'BrightView' display. It is bright, yes, but viewing angles aren't the best, and somehow I think it displays certain shades of blue a bit weirdly.

My dad's Sony Vaio from the same time has a better display. Though a friend's Asus has worse display than the DV6. I think Dell might have a better screen.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Better go to a store and check the displays side by side. I have a HP DV6 which is 2.5 yrs old and has a 'BrightView' display. It is bright, yes, but viewing angles aren't the best, and somehow I think it displays certain shades of blue a bit weirdly.

My dad's Sony Vaio from the same time has a better display. Though a friend's Asus has worse display than the DV6. I think Dell might have a better screen.

Dell has similar or slightly worse display than HP in 720p segment....However their 1080p's are just awesome.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

Dell Inspiron 14Z or 15Z @ 48k is best.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
HP's battery can make Dell's bite dust.
Regarding display, HP was on par till pavillion series, not anymore. In fact, it's among worst now (G6 series).
HP also fked it's good speaker. But build quality has definitely over the time.
Regarding service, Dell can throw HP out of window. Though I had very good ASS exp with HP, but that still is not found at majority of the places.
If you are in a dilemma to choose between both, go for Dell now.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
^Weren't there issues with HP's(Laptop) battery some couple of years back?

aniket.cain

Padawan
Yes, HP was infamous for many issues like overheating and battery problems. But it seems they have pulled their act together with the DV6 series starting a couple of years ago. I am very happy with mine and have faced no issues whatsoever related to anything.

R2K

In the Zone
There is no "best laptop brand". Every forum support one brand and bashes some other mercilessly. The only brands I saw that 'almost every tech site' agrees to be the best is Asus and Apple.

But both asus or apple:D were way out of my budget ..So I went with Dell.
To answer your question-Definitely go with dell if your other option is HP.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
HP's battery can make Dell's bite dust.
Regarding display, HP was on par till pavillion series, not anymore. In fact, it's among worst now (G6 series).
HP also fked it's good speaker. But build quality has definitely over the time.
Regarding service, Dell can throw HP out of window. Though I had very good ASS exp with HP, but that still is not found at majority of the places.
If you are in a dilemma to choose between both, go for Dell now.

Sujay has summarised it beautifully.:clap2:
Here's a short comparo
1.Battery-The new MU-06 battery(launched in Jan2012) is a pretty strong battery and is branded as a long life battery. Heck even HP gives a warranty of 3 yrs on it when purchased new. Even I can vouch for it-My 2 yr old battery still gives a 4 hrs of reading time with GPU switched off and in power saving mode.
My Mantra which is also proven to extract maxm battery life-Use battery as low as possible.Remember its Lithium ion tech which has a fixed number of charge-discharge cycle.Earlier Nickel Cadmium Battery has to be operated on battery power once in a while..Not any longer.Even if u use on Battery,make sure no HEAVY draining tasks are carried out,like Game or a 1080p video on GPU. If rate of discharge is too high,th lithium ions fail to get charged again,and it shows as wear. This comes from my experience,and all my friends who follow this rule dont have to replace battery too often.
Dell definitely has weaker battery than HP. So in battery round HP wins.
2.HP doesn't have a good speaker now. DTS is simply crap in front of Dell. Dell wins hands down.
3.Build quality has greatly improved...Earlier G series of HP were of iffy quality,not any more.HP is now as good as dell in terms of Build. Only area where dell is still superior is the consistency. SO Dell wins,but by a very negligible margin.
4.Screen-HP wins in 720p easily,but its not great...Its just that in 720p screens,Hp is better than Dell.Best display is Sony.
5.Service-Here's what most people dont know-Both HP and Dell use REFURBISHED parts for replacement in their Service.But i've felt,that the quality of refurbished parts in dell is not up to the mark...My friends have repeatedly faced motherboard and HDD failures on their XPS. Even though service of Dell is quite prompt,it lacks depth.For complex issues,they surrender much quickly than HP.But again its nitpicking. Where HP really triumphs is that they give 3 yrs free warranty,where as dell charges some 12-18k for it.

My pick would be HP

Also Processor in Dell is ULV which is quite a bottleneck in performance.

Gollum

Collector
Well let me make it a bit clear about the service parts. All company's use refurbished parts for service replacement, be it a system board or HDD or even a fan. but not all parts are refurbished. parts like fans and cpu are not, system board and HDD are 90% of the time refurbished.

as far as display goes, all use the same technology and all have shitty displays. they are not IPS panels and will always have a bluish tinge to the colors displayed.
HP calls it Bright view and other have their own names to sugarcoat it.

I have a sony vaio and its display it okay+blue tinge
HP Elitebook9470m and its display is also okay+blue tinge

oh and BTW I went home and used by vaio after a year and found that some of the keys had decided to stop working --- Great!

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Well let me make it a bit clear about the service parts. All company's use refurbished parts for service replacement, be it a system board or HDD or even a fan. but not all parts are refurbished. parts like fans and cpu are not, system board and HDD are 90% of the time refurbished.

as far as display goes, all use the same technology and all have shitty displays. they are not IPS panels and will always have a bluish tinge to the colors displayed.
HP calls it Bright view and other have their own names to sugarcoat it.

I have a sony vaio and its display it okay+blue tinge
HP Elitebook9470m and its display is also okay+blue tinge

oh and BTW I went home and used by vaio after a year and found that some of the keys had decided to stop working --- Great!

Thanks for the great insight....
The companies had to use refurbished parts,otherwise they'd be sitting on a huge pile of E-waste :-D
But I've felt the quality of Refurbishment of Dell is very poor. Numerous XPS's hard disks crashed in the last one year in my college...Those who had extended warranty got it replaced by Dell,and now periodically after almost every 1 month or so,their HDD goes kaput. Same with the mobo of the inspirons.
In comparison,those who bought a new HDD are running troublefree.
One of my close friends also had His HP's HDD replaced just after two months of Purchase(he told his laptop falls many times and gets many bumps)...His HDD is fine after 1 yr.
So I feel that Dell needs to be careful while replacing parts

rish1

Cyborg Agent
i have a hp g6 2005 ax , i compared it with inspiron 15r

dell have great viewing angles , so you will feel hp is washed out when not seen from proper angle

but when you are sitting a a right spot then the display just kicks ass out of dell .. especially in movies love the blacks , and colours just pop out

this is all due to glossy coating ..
generally people hate it but i really like the glossy contrast especially in movies and gaming

also speakers of this laptop gets praised .. not good on bass but quite loud

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
HP does have poor viewing angles. ...but the speakers are not as good today as they were of the erstwhile G6 Series

R2K

In the Zone
^^
Not just HP but Business class laptops from every manufacturer is good.
like thinkpad series from lenovo and Dell precision series. They ensure best build quality and thus burn a huge hole on your wallet. Consumer class laptops are a whole different story

Top Bottom