Quake 4, X-Men 2, True Crime 2, THUG 3 confirmed for Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Quake 4, X-Men 2, True Crime 2, THUG 3 confirmed for Q4
Activision reveals it is targeting the holidays with a fusillade from its top-tier catalog; hints next-gen games will arrive this year.

As part of Activision's earnings call today, CEO and President Ronald Doornink answered the customary questions from game-industry analysts. And in so doing so, he revealed Activison's lineup for the 2005 holiday season--a roster that will make the company a formidable adversary to its rival publishers.

Speaking to analysts, Doornink outlined Activision's plans for its third fiscal quarter, which will run from October to December 2005. "In the [fiscal] third quarter we plan to release our strongest and most diverse lineup ever; specifically, brand-new games for Tony Hawk, Call of Duty, X-Men [Legends], True Crime, Quake and Shrek. Each of these franchises is targeted at a different consumer."

With that statement, the CEO put a release window on the next installments in Activison's premiere franchises. Though Call of Duty 2 has been slated for fall for some time, previously X-Men Legends II, True Crime 2, and Tony Hawk's Underground 3 were expected only sometime during Activision's fiscal year 2006 (April 2005 to March 2006). The games' existences were first revealed last summer and fall.

For PC gamers, the biggest news was that the long-awaited next installment in the Quake franchise will indeed arrive in 2005.Given the time frame, the Raven-developed, Doom 3-engine-based shooter will arrive almost exactly one year after Half-Life 2, the current top-selling shooter for the PC.

domin8r

Journeyman
Hmmm. Let's see. Let consider how well Doom 3 did. Any major awards? None. HL2 won the prestigious GOTY. doom 3 really flopped. After D3, came its expansion pack. No one heard about it. So, Q4, it seems may work, as there is no HL game slated to be released this year.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
@domin8r: You missed the HL2 expansion: Aftermath :D

And who cares if DOOM3 didn't win any awards? I liked the game and am a DOOM fan. I got my money' worth and that's all I care about.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
I think domina8r is right. The Doom 3 expansion was what Doom 3 should have been in the first place. The lackluster gameplay of the first game (barring the great graphics, sound and "fear" factor) was a total let-down, and the expansion was a bit too short and had literally zero gameplay, not to mention that the Grabber is no comparison to HL2's GG. What was a welcome change was the ability to use the Artifact to some good use to actually proceed through the game, which was a first for the guys from the Mesquite, TX company. As for the Aftermath expansion, that one is starting to look like a train wreck already. I am not entirely sure drifting from the "Freeman-perspective", which is the heart and the soul of the series, (Alyx be damned, I care more about the story than a passing romantic interest) is really a good idea. The conflicting reports as to whether you will play as Gordon or as someone else shouldn't really exist at all. Considering the ending of HL2, I dont see how Gordon can return in Aftermath, especially one of the leaked screenshots actually shows Alyx in the Citadel. I am somehow gonna actually check this out before going ga-ga over it. As for Q4, one can only hope that Raven can pull off the same trick with Q4 as they did with RtCW and make it just as engaging, without spoiling the Q2 "ubercool" storyline.

abhinavchadda

Broken In
i totally agree with u ....DOOM3 was a gr8 dissapointment in terms of gameplay...agreed the graphics were cool but man the story was way tooo boring(And repetetive)......why can't people make games like half life 2...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom