PSU Restarts when UPS Switches.

CRACING

Journeyman
Hello,

Since few weeks my PC is unexpectedly restarting or hangs and I'm unable to figure out the fault. Of course mains is not stable these days but it always happens when the UPS switches from battery to mains when the power is restored. Even if I manually switch OFF and ON, the PC restarts. Previously I had APC Back-UPS 650VA and after this problem started, I bought a new APC Back-UPS 1100VA but problem still persists. So it must be something with my PC components only.

The Gigabyte 620w PSU is 3+ years old and had no issues so far. I tried disconnecting everything from my PC, leaving only CPU and motherboard connected to the PSU but still the PSU restarts after mains restores on UPS.

Next I have connected my old 250w PSU to CPU+Motherboard and it doesn't restart. Though I cannot use it to run my whole system because of low wattage.

Then I tested the 620w PSU to run my old PC but surprisingly it works fine on it. Tested several times and no restarts.

PSU warranty is already expired so I have opened the PSU to look for bad capacitors or etc but everything looks fine.

The problem occurs only when 620w PSU is connected to my PC. I guess the 620w PSU is unable to fulfill power required to run my CPU+Motherboard when UPS switches but cannot understand how it runs fine on old PC which has HDD and DVD drive connected too.

My PC spec:
CPU: AMD FX4100
MB: Asrock 890GX Extreme 3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2
GPU: ASUS 6850
HDD: WD Black 1TB + Seagate 1TB
PSU: Gigabyte 620w
UPS: APC Back-UPS 1100va

Old PC Spec:
CPU: AMD Athlon 5200+
MB: ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus
RAM: Corsair Value Select 4GB
HDD: Seagate 320GB
PSU: FSP 250w
UPS: APC Back-UPS 650va

I could buy new PSU but I cannot afford if that too cause issues because I have doubt on my cpu and/or motherboard too. I have checked some other forums where people reported same issues. It is said that stepped sine wave UPS and active PFC won't work well together. If thats the case which PSU should I go for? Please help me to solve the problem.

Thanks...
Best Regards

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Seasonic S12II 520w @ 5.5k

Presently I am using Seasonic M12II 620w with my APC 1KVA UPS and its working superb. So go with the above PSU as it offers 5 years warranty. Buy from amazon.in or ebay.in if you have any coupons to get it for less price. Okay.

PS:Gigabyte 620w PSU is not able to supply the required wattage to your main PC, hence its restarting.

Last edited:
OP
CRACING

CRACING

Journeyman
Seasonic S12II 520w @ 5.5k

Presently I am using Seasonic M12II 620w with my APC 1KVA UPS and its working superb. So go with the above PSU as it offers 5 years warranty. Buy from amazon.in or ebay.in if you have any coupons to get it for less price. Okay.

Thanks for your response.

After I have spent 5k on UPS last week, may be I cannot afford that model now. Also it is 520w which may be sufficient for my present config but will be short for future upgrades. If Seasonic really works then I shall go for 620w but I have to wait for next month to afford. Btw; How is Seasonic warranty claims here?

Meanwhile I have looked for these models which I can buy at present:
Antec VP650P V2 650w - Available locally for 5k and 4.4k on Primeabgb. No idea whether this will solve my problem but its said to be a good quality PSU.

Thermaltake TR2 S 600W - 4.2k on Theitwares. People claim it works fine on APC UPS or stepped sine wave UPS. Also it has 16ms Hold Up Time, 5ms more then UPS.

I'm also looking for online shopping websites who will accepts returns. So that I can buy a PSU, test it and incase same problem occurs, I can return it.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thanks for your response.

After I have spent 5k on UPS last week, may be I cannot afford that model now. Also it is 520w which may be sufficient for my present config but will be short for future upgrades. If Seasonic really works then I shall go for 620w but I have to wait for next month to afford. Btw; How is Seasonic warranty claims here?

Meanwhile I have looked for these models which I can buy at present:
Antec VP650P V2 650w - Available locally for 5k and 4.4k on Primeabgb. No idea whether this will solve my problem but its said to be a good quality PSU.
Thermaltake TR2 S 600W - 4.2k on Theitwares. People claim it works fine on APC UPS or stepped sine wave UPS. Also it has 16ms Hold Up Time, 5ms more then UPS.
Seasonic S12II 620w @ 6k is giving 5 years warranty.

Seasonic RMA is done by Tirupati Enterprises from Kolkata.

I once sent my 620w for RMA which went kaput due to lightning strike. Tirupati fellows asked for Invoice and sent me brand new sealed piece back. So no worries there.

Thermaltake PSU is also better and its RMA is dealt by Savera.in from Kolkata. Better to buy from mdcomputers.in . Okay.
Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
CRACING

CRACING

Journeyman
Just checked Seasonic Power Supply reviews on xbitlabs. For him S12-II 420 works fine with his APC but not the S12-II 520 and M12-II 620. For you M12-II 620w works fine. This is what I'm worried about. It may or may not work.

Do you know whether mdcomputers takes returns?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Just checked Seasonic Power Supply reviews on xbitlabs. For him S12-II 420 works fine with his APC but not the S12-II 520 and M12-II 620. For you M12-II 620w works fine. This is what I'm worried about. It may or may not work.

Do you know whether mdcomputers takes returns?
Mdcomputers will not take back opened items so its better to go with Thermaltake 600w PSU @ 4.3k

Link: Buy THERMALTAKE SMPS 600W — HASWELL READY TR2 S SERIES 600 WATT 80 PLUS SEMI MODULAR PSU (TRS-0600P-2) - Best Price in India, Kolkata - Lowest Price in Online on mdcomputers.i

OP
CRACING

CRACING

Journeyman
Mdcomputers will not take back opened items so its better to go with Thermaltake 600w PSU @ 4.3k

Link: Buy THERMALTAKE SMPS 600W — HASWELL READY TR2 S SERIES 600 WATT 80 PLUS SEMI MODULAR PSU (TRS-0600P-2) - Best Price in India, Kolkata - Lowest Price in Online on mdcomputers.i

I have sent a mail to mdcomputers to ask about Thermaltake TR2 compatibility with the my UPS. Lets see what they say. :)

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
The hold up time of your PSU is probably low.
What is Hold-up Time? - Definition from Techopedi

Don't buy any Thermaltake models. Get any Seasonic or Antec.

OP
CRACING

CRACING

Journeyman
The hold up time of your PSU is probably low.
What is Hold-up Time? - Definition from Techopedi

Don't buy any Thermaltake models. Get any Seasonic or Antec.

No info about hold-up time for my PSU but I guess the hold up time has decreased after prolonged usage (3 years) hence it is giving problems now. Or it could be active PFC not compatible with stepped sine wave UPS.

Seasonic is out of my budget now so cannot go for it. I like the Antec VP650P V2 but I see there are some people facing issues when connected to UPS. Now to test it, no sellers take returns if I break the seal. :(

I did some research on Thermaltake PSUs. Many say its not good but the new models are good. I'm looking for Thermaltake TR2 S 600w which is similar to Smart 600w sold in USA and I believe it works with my UPS. Reviews of that PSU are pretty good. Unlike those old Thermaltake PSUs.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
If the PC restarts and then works normally then it's not a power output signal incompatibility issue. It's restarting because it can't hold the power long enough for the UPS to kick in.

OP
CRACING

CRACING

Journeyman
If the PC restarts and then works normally then it's not a power output signal incompatibility issue. It's restarting because it can't hold the power long enough for the UPS to kick in.

Yep, thats what its happening.

I have no issues running the PSU on UPS battery but restart happens only when UPS switches. Today I was running my PC on ups battery for 10 mins and then I shutdown the PC. Lucky mains didn't restore that time otherwise, PSU would have restarted.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
It's better if you try buying from a local shop. You can return it then. Just ask them to bring Antec and Seasonic PSUs in stock(obviously they wont have the good models). Or try buying from Return . A 430W PSU should be good enough for your system.

OP
CRACING

CRACING

Journeyman
It's better if you try buying from a local shop. You can return it then. Just ask them to bring Antec and Seasonic PSUs in stock(obviously they wont have the good models). Or try buying from Return . A 430W PSU should be good enough for your system.

Most of all computer shops in my city have those cheap smps but I found one who has Antec vp650p. He quoted 5k for it whereas it costs 4.3k in Primeabgb.

I would have bought it anyhow but he said no returns if seal is broken. Only I can claim warranty if its faulty. Same goes for all online shopping sites.

Btw: How is theitwares? I see they also take warranty claims but buyer has to pay for shipping. I can get Thermaltake TR2 S 600W for 3.8k with discount coupon on ebay which is sold by theitwares. 500 rs less then MD Computers.

Is MD Computers a authorized dealer or service center of Thermaltake? or just like theitwares they forward our faulty units to concerned service center?

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Most of all computer shops in my city have those cheap smps but I found one who has Antec vp650p. He quoted 5k for it whereas it costs 4.3k in Primeabgb.

I would have bought it anyhow but he said no returns if seal is broken. Only I can claim warranty if its faulty. Same goes for all online shopping sites.

Btw: How is theitwares? I see they also take warranty claims but buyer has to pay for shipping. I can get Thermaltake TR2 S 600W for 3.8k with discount coupon on ebay which is sold by theitwares. 500 rs less then MD Computers.

Is MD Computers a authorized dealer or service center of Thermaltake? or just like theitwares they forward our faulty units to concerned service center?

In our country only 2 brands - Seasonic and Antec provide quality for money. Every other brand has low quality models or are overpriced for what it is. Also the review done by xbitlabs was a long time ago. They are replaced by new better versions of those same models now. The hold up times might have improved in the new versions. Overclockerszone is authorised distributor for Seasonic. And i think primeabgb is for Antec from what i last saw.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Official Distributors & Service for Thermaltake in India is done by Savera.

Here is their address:
Savera Marketing Agency Pvt Ltd
Gala No-8,Apollo Industrial Premises Society Ltd, Opp Mahakali Caves Road, Near MIDC,Andheri (East), PIN:400093 Mumbai, Maharashtra.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thermaltake TR2 S 600w @ 4.3k is best with 3 years warranty.

I once dealt with Savera where I sent my Gainward GTX660 2GB for RMA and they asked for invoice and sent me Gainward GTX750Ti 2GB sealed piece instead within 10 days.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I wouldn't recommend buying the Thermaltake power supply.

image: *www.hardwaresecrets.com/wp-content/uploads/HS_Golden_RGB.jpg

Conclusions

We were very impressed by the new Thermaltake TR2 700 W, as in the past the TR2 series used to be a very entry-level power supply series, with low-efficiency units. The TR2 700 W proved to be a flawless unit, with high efficiency between 82.6% and 87.4%, voltages closer to their nominal values all the time (3% regulation), and very low noise and ripple levels.

The only negative aspect of the TR2 700 W is the relatively reduced number of SATA power connectors (seven), but since it is targeted to the mainstream market, this should not be a problem.

What we can’t understand is why Thermaltake decided to use the name “TR2” for this new power supply series. As mentioned, several of the old TR2 models presented lousy performance, and many people may think that the new models have the same problem.

We believe that the price of this power supply is right. At USD 100, it faces the direct competition of the new*OCZ ZT Series 650 W, which has a full modular cabling system and is also a “flawless” product. This model from Thermaltake, however, presents higher efficiency.

Source :
Read more at Thermaltake TR2 700 W Power Supply Review - Page 11 of 12 - Hardware Secret

OP
CRACING

CRACING

Journeyman
In our country only 2 brands - Seasonic and Antec provide quality for money. Every other brand has low quality models or are overpriced for what it is. Also the review done by xbitlabs was a long time ago. They are replaced by new better versions of those same models now. The hold up times might have improved in the new versions. Overclockerszone is authorised distributor for Seasonic. And i think primeabgb is for Antec from what i last saw.

I agree, no doubt Seasonic makes solid PSUs but if I had not bought new ups last week, it would been easy for me to buy it.

Seasonic S12II-620 costs 6.7k on overclockerszone and M12II-620 is listed for 7.7k on ebay by same seller. I have a 15% ebay coupon which expires this month and if I use it, I can get M12II-620 for 6.5k. :)

Best deal but unfortunately its difficult for me to afford at the moment. I'm not in the condition to wait either because the PSU issue is getting worst day by day. Today it has restarted 2-3 times and it happens more at night. My unsaved work is being deleted and I have to start again.
[MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION]

Thanks for the info. May be its Thermaltake for me this time. If it works fine with my UPS then I'm more then happy. No problem if it fails after a year or two. I can claim warranty for that.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
image: *www.hardwaresecrets.com/wp-content/uploads/HS_Golden_RGB.jpg

Conclusions

We were very impressed by the new Thermaltake TR2 700 W, as in the past the TR2 series used to be a very entry-level power supply series, with low-efficiency units. The TR2 700 W proved to be a flawless unit, with high efficiency between 82.6% and 87.4%, voltages closer to their nominal values all the time (3% regulation), and very low noise and ripple levels.

The only negative aspect of the TR2 700 W is the relatively reduced number of SATA power connectors (seven), but since it is targeted to the mainstream market, this should not be a problem.

What we can’t understand is why Thermaltake decided to use the name “TR2” for this new power supply series. As mentioned, several of the old TR2 models presented lousy performance, and many people may think that the new models have the same problem.

We believe that the price of this power supply is right. At USD 100, it faces the direct competition of the new*OCZ ZT Series 650 W, which has a full modular cabling system and is also a “flawless” product. This model from Thermaltake, however, presents higher efficiency.

Source :
Read more at Thermaltake TR2 700 W Power Supply Review - Page 11 of 12 - Hardware Secret

It's not the same model. The one that you suggested has ShenZhen UTPower Technology as the OEM whose PSUs have never been reviewed.

Top Bottom