Protection for laptop

oroboros

Broken In
Hi everyone,
I got my new laptop a while back and installed a trial version of avast. The subscription has expired, i am considering new options to protect my laptop completely.I am open to ideas.

Chetan1991

Youngling
you can get free version of avast. I've been using it for years and it's great. Just register for free and it'll run for 1 year without issues.

I use Norton Internet Security 2013, its a bit expensive but consumer minimum resources and offers great protection.

I use Norton Internet Security 2013, its a bit expensive but consumer minimum resources and offers great protection.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Since, it is a new laptop am assuming that it has come with Windows 8 pre-installed.
Antivirus -The in-built Defender is pretty good in most scenarios.
Firewall - I don't know why people don't like the Windows Firewall. From Vista onwards the firewall is heavily configurable. Especially in 64-bit Windows it is almost as powerful and flexible as other alternatives like Comodo firewall, zone-alarm and firewall included in paid solutions like Norton, Kaspersky.
Though it is not as user-friendly, but once you master it, it is arguably one of the best.
Anti-Spyware - If you really want one, look out for Spyware search and destroy.
Internet security - All the modern browsers are pretty much capable to separate malicious websites. You can also use a pre-configured hosts file. If you still want protection, certain DNS providers like Open DNS also provides malware protection by blocking malware-ridden websites.

If you are not satisfied, you can try out a free combo of internet security solution like - Avast+Comodo firewall+Malwarebytes.
At times, I have seen it performing better than paid solutions.

But the thought that only paid solutions give you ultimate safety then look out for Norton 360(or even Norton internet security) or Kaspersky. Bitdefender might rank high in most reviews but I have seen it causing plenty of problems for many users. One advantage of the paid solutions is that they provide a single solution for all your security needs. No need to manage different softwares for different purposes. Some also provide added whistles like Online storage(Dropbox anyone), registry cleaners etc(there are free alternatives available which are better too!)
Trust me, in a home setup, there is no need for paid solution, inbuilt solutions are enough(especially since Windows 8 comes with defender built-in. On previous versions you can always download Microsoft security essentials). There is no better security than common-sense. Follow the many principles of safe-browsing. You can find them all over the internet. Remember, no solution will protect you if someone is hell-bent to take over your laptop.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Hi everyone,
I got my new laptop a while back and installed a trial version of avast. The subscription has expired, i am considering new options to protect my laptop completely.I am open to ideas.

Try Bitdefender free.

OP
oroboros

oroboros

Broken In
Since, it is a new laptop am assuming that it has come with Windows 8 pre-installed.
Firewall - I don't know why people don't like the Windows Firewall. From Vista onwards the firewall is heavily configurable. Especially in 64-bit Windows it is almost as powerful and flexible as other alternatives like Comodo firewall, zone-alarm and firewall included in paid solutions like Norton, Kaspersky.
Though it is not as user-friendly, but once you master it, it is arguably one of the best.
Internet security - All the modern browsers are pretty much capable to separate malicious websites. You can also use a pre-configured hosts file. If you still want protection, certain DNS providers like Open DNS also provides malware protection by blocking malware-ridden websites.

If you are not satisfied, you can try out a free combo of internet security solution like - Avast+Comodo firewall+Malwarebytes.

But the thought that only paid solutions give you ultimate safety then look out for Norton 360(or even Norton internet security) or Kaspersky. Bitdefender might rank high in most reviews but I have seen it causing plenty of problems for many users. One advantage of the paid solutions is that they provide a single solution for all your security needs. No need to manage different softwares for different purposes. Some also provide added whistles like Online storage(Dropbox anyone), registry cleaners etc(there are free alternatives available which are better too!)
Trust me, in a home setup, there is no need for paid solution, inbuilt solutions are enough(especially since Windows 8 comes with defender built-in. On previous versions you can always download Microsoft security essentials). There is no better security than common-sense. Follow the many principles of safe-browsing. You can find them all over the internet. Remember, no solution will protect you if someone is hell-bent to take over your laptop.

No i am not using windows 8, can't get a hang on to it.I think i am gonna use the combo you suggested, try it for some time and decide. Thank you you for the advice

No i am not using windows 8, can't get a hang on to it.I think i am gonna use the combo you suggested, try it for some time and decide. Thank you you for the advice

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Free version of Avast and Comodo firewall is enought to protect your PC. Using this combo since ages and using a more than 6 month old installation. It is quite an achievement, considering I visit a lot of unknown sites which put a dropper in my PC. Avast web and network sheild are very efficient. If you prefer a paid solution go for Kaspersky Internet Security.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Install Microsoft own Security Essentials software. It is completely free and works like a charm. You should be cautious when you browse the web & make sure that you don't download some suspicious software like some spam video (usually attractive) on websites like Facebook.

Top Bottom