Processor platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

thilina

From Sri Lanka
Hi guyz,
I currently hve a computer with a Intel Pentium 4 processor.I hve some *.deb packages downloaded from the Internet that works nicely on ma current pc.Im gonna buy a pc based on a AMD Phenom series processor.Will the packages that I've downloaded for ma current pc work with the new pc??will there be any platform complication (i386 & amd x86_64 ??)

:-?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
no probs. its the OS that deals with the files, and proccy has nothin to do with it.
everythin possible on one intel is compatible with amd and vice versa, except for some special cpu features like virtualization, and power management.

OP
thilina

thilina

From Sri Lanka
A U sure abt this??:?

I tried to install a AMD x86_64 platform file in ma frnds pc which hz a Core2duo prccy.Bt an error came saying abt a platform problem.But same file in i386 vrsion wz intalled without any problms.(The file z opera 9.64):cry:

I_no

__________ ___ __
^^^That was because you tried to install a x64 .deb in an x86 OS.
Both EM64T and x86_64 are fully compatible and both are able to install both 32bit and 64bit OS and you should have no problems installing 32bit debs in a 32bit OS or a 32bit deb in a 64bit OS or a 64bit deb on a 64bit OS however, you CANNOT install 64bit deb in a 32bit OS.
ALL 64bit AMD an Intel processors are able to install all 32bit and 64bit OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom