Processor & M/Board for Still Photo & Video Editing

OldWine

Right off the assembly line
I want to assemble a PC for Editing of Still Photographs & Video. Sometimes HD videos would be edited too.
I want to know which would be the best medium-cost processor & motherboard for it.

Thanks in advance.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Fill this first - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

OP
O

OldWine

[FONT=&amp]As required, I have answered the questions :

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Ans: The purpose of the computer is to EDIT Video, Audio and post production of Still Photographs. A number (10 / 12 nos.) of RAW photos captured in 14 bit or higher RAW format would be simultaneously opened and edited. In this process, software like Photoshop CS 6.0, Lightroom 4.0, Illustrator CS 6 etc. would be used simultaneously. Apart from this, Adobe Audition and other sound editing software and video editing software viz. Adobe Premier Pro would be used.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: My overall budget is Rs. 25,000.00 which can be extended slightly.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Don’t know now.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 professional.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: At least 1 TB. SATA 3 / 6 GBPS

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: I want to buy a monitor of at least 21 inches which must show colour depth with full fidelity. I must see the colours on monitor which should be same as that while I get a print of the photographs or see the video played in DVD players (not only in PC DVD players).[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: No idea now.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a week.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I used 2 assembled PCs before.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live at Kolkata. I am planning to buy locally. I would prefer to buy from shop rather than buying from online shop.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I want a small cabinet for the CPU – if possible - so that it can be carried along in a hand bag. I need SMPS to adequately support my system’s operation.[/FONT]

25k is too small a budget for what you are demanding. A 22" LED monitor alone will cost ~8.5-9k

i3 3220 (7500)
Gigabyte B75M DH3 (4500)
Kingston hyperX blu 1600 MHz 4 GB (2500)
WD blue 500 GB (3200)
Antec VP450P (2600)
local cabinet without PSU (800)
Asus optical drive (1050)
Dell IN2030 (6500)

total: 28,650

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Re: Processor & M/Board for Still Photo & Video Editing

opt for fx 6300(7.3k) and gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3(4.4k) rather than an i3 system.

fx 6300 -7.3k
gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 - 4.4k
Kingston hyperX blu 1600 MHz 4 GB-2.5k
WD blue 500 GB -3.2k
Antec VP450P 2.6k
local cabinet without PSU 0.7k
Asus optical drive-1k
Dell IN2030 -6.3k

Last edited:
OP
O

OldWine

Friends, thanks a lot. But may I ask you something more ?
(1) What if I buy CORSIER RAM, since it has 10 years warranty?
(2) Is there any difference between ASUS, LG, SAMSUNG optical drives?
(3) WD HDD gives only 2 years warranty, whereas TOSHIBA gives 3 years. Should I not avail this extra years warranty?
(4) AMD has come out with RADON Graphics cards. Why didn't you consider it?
(5) I forgot to mention that, I need a good headphone which gives fully stereo sound and sits on my ears comfortably for long hours. Can you recommend one ?

Thnx again.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Friends, thanks a lot. But may I ask you something more ?
(1) What if I buy CORSIER RAM, since it has 10 years warranty?
(2) Is there any difference between ASUS, LG, SAMSUNG optical drives?
(3) WD HDD gives only 2 years warranty, whereas TOSHIBA gives 3 years. Should I not avail this extra years warranty?
(4) AMD has come out with RADON Graphics cards. Why didn't you consider it?
(5) I forgot to mention that, I need a good headphone which gives fully stereo sound and sits on my ears comfortably for long hours. Can you recommend one ?

Thnx again.

1) kingston hyperx offers more performance that too at a lower price. it also offers 5 years of warranty. i guess you will upgrade your pc before/ just after 5 years and ddr3 will become obsolete then :) so 5 years warranty is not a bad deal either.
2)afaik lite -on manufactures all their odds.
3)you can go for toshiba.
4)your budget for gpu?

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Re: Processor & M/Board for Still Photo & Video Editing

Dell IN2030m is difficult to find - get Dell E2014H

Tosibha is good in terms of warranty but have poor service support, wd offers 1 year less warranty and have excellent service support :)

Dvd - get either from asus or lg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
for professional photo editing colour accuracy is most important for which ips lcd is minimum & dell s2240l costs ~8k but i suggest getting a cheap 2nd hand 17" crt monitor which has more colour accuracy than any lcd & will cost ~1k only.

OP
O

OldWine

Friends. Please let me know why an extra Graphic Card is required for gaming. Does my kind of work required extra GPU?

Friends. Please let me know why an extra Graphic Card is required for gaming. Does my kind of work required extra GPU?

WIth FX series processor, you will have to inclulde a graphic card as the processor does not have an IGP. The solution to this is to get a motherboard with onboard graphics which aren't good. With Intel, you won't need a graphic card. You can doo all sort of work with the IGP but it will be slow. A graphic card will accelerate all graphics/rendering work.

Vish2a9l

Journeyman
What's your budget for the graphics card?
And for headphones, you can get sennheiser hd 202. I use it and have been using for past 2 years and totally recommend it.
It's around 2k.
However, if it exceeds your budget, then you can check Sennheiser HD180 or HD 201

OP
O

OldWine

WIth FX series processor, you will have to inclulde a graphic card as the processor does not have an IGP. The solution to this is to get a motherboard with onboard graphics which aren't good. With Intel, you won't need a graphic card. You can doo all sort of work with the IGP but it will be slow. A graphic card will accelerate all graphics/rendering work.
Friend, what if I use A-series AMD processor since A-series has inbuilt graphic ? Which one should I use then?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Then wait a little for the the AMD Kaveri release (Scheduled for 14th Jan), the latest iteration of their APU and supposed to be the best because of lots of technical advancement in both CPU and GPU side. It requires a new socket FM2+ and will not be supported in current gen FM2 socket motherboards.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Then wait a little for the the AMD Kaveri release (Scheduled for 14th Jan), the latest iteration of their APU and supposed to be the best because of lots of technical advancement in both CPU and GPU side. It requires a new socket FM2+ and will not be supported in current gen FM2 socket motherboards.

i guess, he might need to increase his budget then.

Top Bottom