Processor/CPU News Channel

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^So what does it exactly mean, I understand price performance ratio but what is this new trend of putting everything in ratio %.

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
^^So what does it exactly mean, I understand price performance ratio but what is this new trend of putting everything in ratio %.

Relative comparison. Absolute temps don't mean anything since it would depend on ambient temps, the cooler used, open bench, etc and you cannot compare absolute values to other reviews. But relative comparison on the same setup makes sense. You can click the link and see actual values.

Capture.PNG

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can click the link and see actual values.
I saw but still I am a bit confused. What does max power/heat here indicates when expressed in % terms. e.g. Does 100% means max power per unit of heat is same but 194% means max power is almost 2 times per unit of heat?

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
I saw but still I am a bit confused. What does max power/heat here indicates when expressed in % terms. e.g. Does 100% means max power per unit of heat is same but 194% means max power is almost 2 times per unit of heat?

In previous image
48°C is considered as base 100%
So
51°C is (51*100/48) ~ 106%
93°C is (93*100/48) ~ 194%

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
this information regarding the heating issues prevalent in the latest ryzen 3000 series cpus is really interesting.

does this mean its better to avoid these cpus as they are likely to overheat and cause stability issues in the long run?

will using an aftermarket cooler like the hyper 212/410r etc mitigate this issue to some extent?
They are not over-heating, neither have heating issues.

If you have Wraith Prism (stock cooler with high-end Ryzen), then Hyper 212 variants are only slightly better in terms of cooling, but are much less noisier.

I've owned Ryzen 7 3700X and now I own Ryzen 9 3900X, and have only used Wraith Prism with both.

3700X maxed out at 75 C and 3900X maxed out at 81 C with AVX2 stress testing. My ambient temperature is typically between 27 to 33 C in summer.

May be you can add 10-12 degrees for India, but I don't know whether you can do so for load temperatures (not idle) on current generation chips because coolers supplied these days with AMD are really strong. 10 years ago, looking at the Sandy Bridge stock cooler I had and the Bulldozer architecture, I would have said yes.

I will also do some experimentation in this regard next week. I had ordered a Noctua U12S because I find Wraith Prism noisy.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had ordered it 2 months ago but haven't installed it because of laziness.
I got B350 mobo in oct 2018, ryzen 1200 in feb 2019, ddr4 ram in mar 2019 & still not able to assemble because of various real life issues. :-(

P.S. there is no sigh emoticon & emoji is posting in huge full page size(check lounge)

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
*www.techspot.com/review/1635-amd-wraith-coolers-compared/
*static.techspot.com/articles-info/1635/bench/Blender.png

15°C difference between Stealth and Prism. Ryzen 5 3600 comes with Stealth.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I am using Warith Prism on R5 3600 and while on Prime95 it goes as high as 67 degrees and thats all. Normal temps are 44 degrees.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Ryzen 3000 Refresh deals with Intel 10th Gen before Ryzen 4000 release. Means AMD making sure no competition when Ryzen 4000 gets released.
Super clever stratergy. Wiping out Intel on every level.
Even nvidia opts for AMD processors now that Intel is stranded. Unless a miracle happens nothing can save Intel now from its extinction.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Better than Wraith Spire
Found this according to which Deepcool Gammaxx 200T(available for ~1.9k on mdcomputers) is a much better option than stealth, better than spire & just a bit behind prism. Hyper 212 3k+ price seems overpriced as per this.

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Found this according to which Deepcool Gammaxx 200T(available for ~1.9k on mdcomputers) is a much better option than stealth, better than spire & just a bit behind prism. Hyper 212 3k+ price seems overpriced as per this.

That's just the article that I posted before :)
Anyways that post was intended at @ico's post
The more popular CPU 3600 that costs 15-16k has a bad stock cooler.
And when you are paying that much for a 3700X you expect a decent stock cooler :p
Whereas the Intel stock cooler at 15-17K price point is good enough and you also get iGPU with it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, never noticed.:)

I guess we should start recommending deepcool gammaxx 200T for 2k for people building rigs with ryzen 3600 etc or at least make them aware of this option should they find their temps regularly crossing 70C.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's just the article that I posted before :)
Anyways that post was intended at @ico's post
The more popular CPU 3600 that costs 15-16k has a bad stock cooler.
And when you are paying that much for a 3700X you expect a decent stock cooler :p
Whereas the Intel stock cooler at 15-17K price point is good enough and you also get iGPU with it.
Yes, just looked at 3600. It has Wraith Stealth and should have had Wraith Spire (at the minimum).

Stealth is what you get with 3200G. For 3600, it’s not enough. I agree.

Edit: What’s happening here in US is 3700X/3900X people have been selling off their Wraith Prism coolers for $10 to $15. Now, I realize where they are going. :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom