Processor and Mother board supporting to work in VMware

rockers

Broken In
Hi All,

I am looking for Processor and Mother board supporting to work with VMware and in Windows 8. My requirement I will be installing VMware software and work some applications in it. I will be watching HD & Blue ray movies with 5.1 home theater , I am looking for a configuration which support both for VMware Application and movies. My Budget is 35K. I saw a configuration core i5 3550 it support graphics and Z77 ,H77, Z68,Q77 chipset support in built graphics. In some post I saw that it is no need of graphics card because inbuilt graphics is high in the above mentioned chipset.

MY configuration

Processor -- AMD ot INTEL (My prefer in INTEL core i5 3550)

Motherboard -- Asus or INTEL

Hard disk --- 1TB seagate (6 GB/s)

RAM --- 8GB (1600) Corasir

DVD --- Sony

CAbinet --- Zebroincs or Cooler Master need price for cabinet

Graphics card --- 1Gb NVIDIA - GeForce

Waiting for reply ..........

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
for you it does not matter.VMWare will support any processor/mobo.this question arises only for highly experienced individuals requiring hardware level access support for specific virtual environment needs.

OP
R

rockers

Broken In
I am planning to work some high end applications in Vmare. I am planning to use as client and server for some applications. I searched in net they have mentioned that both Processor and Motherboard must support vmware then only we can work in it.
Pls mention the Processor and motherboard..............which support Vmware

Naxal

Little Kid
Pls mention the Processor and motherboard..............which support Vmware

Processor -> Intel or AMD Virtualization technologies are need to be present in your processor along with more core is better

Motherboard -> Ability to support as much RAM is possible.

I guess these are the basic need for VMWare or any other Virtialization Apps.

The Core i5 3550 ARK | Intel® Core seems to be having them all, now select a motherboard for your self which should support 32 GB or such.

If you are not an overclocker then look into Intel DH77EB, having support for 4 x 8GB RAM support. Giving you the ability to install 32GB of RAM.

Intel® Desktop Board DH77EB

Secondly

I saw a configuration core i5 3550 it support graphics and Z77 ,H77, Z68,Q77 chipset support in built graphics. In some post I saw that it is no need of graphics card because inbuilt graphics is high in the above mentioned chipset.

If you are not a gamer, the Build in graphics processor of Core i5 3550 would be more than enough for rest of the needs.

Config

Intel Core i5 3550 @ Rs. 13k
Intel DH77EB @ 7k
G.Skill or Corsair (2 x 8GB) 16 GB 1600 MHz RAM @ 6k (keep two slots free, upgrade more RAM if needed later)
W.D. 1 TB HDD @ 5k
Cabinet with Generic PSU @ 2.5k
UPS (generic local) @ Rs. 1.4k
DVD RW @ 1.2k

Total -> 36K

Cilus

laborare est orare
AFAIK, AMD FX series has better VM WARE support and correct me if I am wrong, FX 8150 does have slightly better performance in multi-threaded apps than i5 3450, which is very essential for VMware.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
If you are more into Virtualisation,run multiple VMs simultaneously or run intensive applications inside VM which requires more cores then fx8150's 8 cores would be better.
Take intel 2nd /3rd gen i5 only if you don't require that many core utilization at a time.For you I think fx8150 would be good.8 physical cores do give flexibility in core assignment to VMs.

Intel's VT-x = AMD V and VT-d=AMD IOMMU
Both fx8150/8120 have AMD V and IOMMU.I5 24/25xx and some of i5 3xxx have both VT-x and VT-d.The k-series intel 2nd/3rd gen processors(like i5 2500k) have VT-x but no VT-d.
So as far vitualisation support is concerned I think they are pretty even if you consider fx 81xx or i5 3xxx/2xxx.

IOMMU depends upon the chipset.Motherboards built around 970,990X,990fx chipsets have IOMMU implemented on it.These motherboards don't have on-board graphics.
So you have to get a graphic card for display if you go with the above mentioned chipset based motherboards.
880G chipset has on-board graphics but doesn't support IOMMU.

For fx based config
Processor:fx8150-11.4k
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - 6k
Hard disk - WD Caviar blue 1TB -4.8k
RAM:G.Skill RipjawsX(1600MHz) DDR3 4GB*2 - 3k
Optical drive:Asus DRW-24B5ST - 1k
Cabinet: NZXT source 210 elite -2.6k or CM elite 311 plus -2.7k
Graphics card :Gigabyte Radeon HD 7750 -6.3k

If you have a good(80+) PSU from corsair/seasonic/antec or any other good brand of capacity 400Watts or more then you are good to go or else consider purchasing corsair cx430v2 or cx500v2.

OP
R

rockers

Broken In
Processor:fx8150-11.4k
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - 6k
Hard disk - WD Caviar blue 1TB -4.8k
RAM:G.Skill RipjawsX(1600MHz) DDR3 4GB*2 - 3k
Optical drive:Asus DRW-24B5ST - 1k
Cabinet: NZXT source 210 elite -2.6k or CM elite 311 plus -2.7k
Graphics card :Gigabyte Radeon HD 7750 -6.3k

for the above config any MOtherboard in Asus ..????

Top Bottom