problems with file transfer over adhoc WLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techinator

Broken In
hi,

i and my friend connected our laptops using WLAN in adhoc mode. I created a network on my comp and both were connected. everywhere it was clear that they are connected but i could not figure out how to transfer files to each another. i roamed around all options in my network places and other options but could not see each others' lappy except for the tray icon.

Help required.

Thanks

theraven

Technomancer
just type in ip address of ur friends comp in the address bar of windows explorer
format is as follows
\\ip address

for eg.
\\192.168.0.1

and ull see a list of shared folders
ofcourse u have to enable file sharing first
to do this right click on the folder u wanna share and goto sharing tab
and enable sharing
do this on both computers
ofcourse make sure u know ip's of each computer.

theraven said:
just type in ip address of ur friends comp in the address bar of windows explorer
format is as follows
\\ip address

for eg.
\\192.168.0.1

Isn't it true that adhoc mode uses dynamic IP as opposed to static IP ?? (required for ICS to work). Finding the IP of the other PC everytime you login/restart is a pain.

Techinator - This is just one of Windows quirks. A simple workaround is as follows. Go to Control Panel > Network Connections and run "Set up home or a small office network". The trick here is to give a different (network) name to your laptop/pc (doesn't matter what name, but it's necessary you change it). Do this on both laptops and restart. Shared folders should now appear in "My Network Places".

This is a simple workaround that always works for me, whenever Windows decides not to show any shared folders in "My Network Places". If you're particular about wht your computer is called on the network, repeat the above steps and rename you PC to it's original monicker.

Cheers,
Keith

theraven

Technomancer
for ics.. the normal procedure is to use dhcp whether in wired or wireless
the problem is ics doesnt work in wireless ( i tried a lot )
so what u need is a proxy software or a software access point ... or a hardware router/access point

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
I m using 2 laptops having wifi b and g. I have tried settin up network and tried all d poss combi. but both d laptops dont detect each odr. Wht settings shud i use?

I already hav lan conn. whr 4 comps r connected which has got a workgroup name say ABC. So shud I giv some odr name to wifi conn. (XYZ or MNO, etc.)?

Do i need to hav a router or something to make wifi conn betwn 2 wifi enabled laptops? n last of it IS THERE A TUTORIAL ON SETTIN UP WIFI NETWORK AT THINKDIGIT or did ne of digit issues carry a tutorial on settin up a wifi conn. betn 2 pc's?

theraven

Technomancer
no tut im soryr
maybe ill work on it
no time nowadays

anyways .. like u have workgroup for wired lan
u have something called as an ssid for wireless
u have to set both of them to access the same ssid then they'll detect each other

for this right click on ur wireless card in network conections and goto properties
then under wireless network tab ... add a network and set ur ssid name in both the comps as same

ofcourse provide each with their own ip address as well
for eg. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 respectively

theraven said:
for ics.. the normal procedure is to use dhcp whether in wired or wireless
the problem is ics doesnt work in wireless ( i tried a lot )
so what u need is a proxy software or a software access point ... or a hardware router/access point

Akshay said:
I m using 2 laptops.........IS THERE A TUTORIAL ON SETTIN UP WIFI NETWORK ............

Have a read through the following article. This guide has always worked for me. Actually this is what got me started on setting up WiFi home networks for friends and family. I have a whole bunch of satisified customers now. :lol:

*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

-Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom