problems after installing KDE on Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

hullap

Cyborg Agent
Today i was bored and thought of installing KDE.
i installed using aptitude.
as i didnt like it i uninstalled it.
Now im facing several problems-
  • i cant change the theme and all other preference thingys, and i have an UGLY kde them "inside" the open windows.
  • most of the preferences options hang upon open

PLEASE HELP ME!! :(

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
A screenie would help of the messed theme and the theme manager, looks like you have messed up your gtkrc.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
the probable solution;
*ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1475748&postcount=4
Solution:
I was poking around the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 for the first time actually and it looked like this:

---
# This file was written by KDE
# You can edit it in the KDE control center, under "GTK Styles and Fonts"

include "/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks-DeepSky/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font" {
font_name="Sans Serif 10"
}

widget_class "*"
style "user-font"
gtk-theme-name="Clearlooks-DeepSky"
gtk-font-name="Sans Serif 10"
---

When I remove or comment out the include part I can finally get all my GTK themes working perfectly. Except for some Clearlooks_Cairo themes which seem a bit broken without that include.

original thread

*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=247555

OP
hullap

hullap

Cyborg Agent
the probable solution;
*ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1475748&postcount=4
Solution:

original thread

*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=247555
No this is not i meant.
please take a loook at the screen shots

i can say my question in a another way,
How do i remove KDE completely

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
yes.run that!also,if u dare: :D u can try "sudo aptitude remove --purge libqt3-mt-dev" ;) reinstall amarok if u ever use it(exaile is better on Gnome)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Code:
sudo apt-get remove adept adept-batch adept-common adept-installer adept-manager adept-notifier adept-updater akregator amarok amarok-xine apport-qt ark arts bogofilter bogofilter-bdb bogofilter-common debtags digikam enscript fftw3 gtk-qt-engine gwenview hwdb-client-kde k3b kaddressbook kaffeine kaffeine-xine kamera karm katapult kate kbstate kcontrol kcron kde-guidance kde-guidance-powermanager kde-icons-mono kde-style-polyester kde-systemsettings kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-kio-plugins kdebluetooth kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-kio-plugins kdepim-kresources kdepim-wizards kdeprint kdesktop kdm kdnssd keep kexi kfind kghostview khelpcenter kicker kio-apt kio-locate kipi-plugins klipper kmag kmail kmailcvt kmenuedit kmilo kmix kmousetool kmplayer-base kmplayer-konq-plugins knetworkconf knetworkmanager knotes koffice-data koffice-libs konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole kontact konversation kooka kopete korganizer kpdf kpf kppp krdc krfb kscreensaver ksmserver ksnapshot ksplash ksplash-engine-moodin ksvg ksysguard ksysguardd ksystemlog ktorrent kubuntu-artwork-usplash kubuntu-default-settings kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-docs kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kwalletmanager kwin kwin-style-crystal language-selector-qt libakode2 libarts1-akode libarts1c2a libartsc0 libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 libavahi-qt3-1 libcurl3-gnutls libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libexiv2-0.12 libflac++5c2 libgmp3c2 libgpgme11 libgsl0 libid3tag0 libifp4 libimlib2 libjasper-runtime libjpeg-progs libk3b2 libkcal2b libkcddb1 libkdepim1a libkexiv2-0 libkipi0 libkleopatra1 libkmime2 libkonq4 libkpimexchange1 libkpimidentities1 libkscan1 libksieve0 libktnef1 liblockdev1 liblua50 liblualib50 libmeanwhile1 libmimelib1c2a libmodplug0c2 libmpcdec3 libmtp5 libmysqlclient15off libnjb5 libofa0 liboggflac3 libopenexr2c2a libopenobex1 libpcre3 libpoppler1-qt libpq5 libpulse0 libpythonize0 libqt-perl libqt3-mt libqt4-core libqt4-gui libqt4-qt3support libqt4-sql librsync1 libruby1.8 libsamplerate0 libskim0 libsmokeqt1 libsqlite0 libtdb1 libtunepimp5 libxine1 libxvmc1 mysql-common networkstatus openoffice.org-kde openoffice.org-style-crystal perl-suid pmount poster psutils pykdeextensions python-kde3 python-qt3 python-qt4 python-sip4 python2.5-dev qca-tls qobex rdiff-backup ruby ruby1.8 scim-qtimm skim software-properties-kde speedcrunch vorbis-tools && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

be sure to check if there are some packages not installed, then just remove them from this list too and then run it. Or simply run it and terminal will flash with the not installed package name, then just remove that package name and rerun the command.

Always use aptitude instead of apt-get.

praka123

left this forum longback
vorbis-tools and mpg321 are used by nautilus to preview music files(mp3s etc) dont remove if u want preview feature :)

how preview works-if u just move the mouse over the music file,it will play that track :p

praka123

left this forum longback
^ u want to change the "skin" color? :D
go to system>preferecnes>appearance>theme>human
now click on customize>colors>whatever u want(some time wont work!).

OP
hullap

hullap

Cyborg Agent
^ u want to change the "skin" color? :D
go to system>preferecnes>appearance>theme>human
now click on customize>colors>whatever u want(some time wont work!).
no i want to say that even if i change the theme, the inside of the window will not change(like when u use emerald) but i found some KDE theme thingyy and wheni changed from there the inside of the window changed
hope u understand

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
u messed with some files, didnt that kde theme thingy come with uninstallation instructions?

praka123

left this forum longback
@hullap: for once,remove qt and all its dependencies ,remember if u have amarock and other kde things still remaining in ur system,they all are purged out for the benefit of Gnome.u can later install amarok(exaile for gnome) or k3b(brasero for gnome):
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge libqt3-mt libqt3-mt-dev

Code:
 rm -rf ~/.kde
then open nautilus file browser,press CTRL+H to enable hidden files to see.
now remove any dir's which is kde/qt related.that's all what I can think now.

now open theme manager(appearance>theme) select "clearlooks" theme.
now,select customize>"colors" select the color u want for the body of the apps.
here is a screenshot from my debian:change the background color to the one u want.
*img3.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/1568/15687515789e2b9e66c6a3a4e4766a986a52d51.png
Hope this solves.

if this too fails,u may have to re-install:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks gtk2-engines-pixbuf gnome-themes --reinstall

now,run gconf-cleaner.get gconf-cleaner from here:
*ubuntu.org.ua/getdeb/gc/gconf-cleaner_0.0.3-1~getdeb1_i386.deb
it will clean out obsolete gconf entries to make clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom