problem with slow download speed.

quan chi

mortal kombat
guys i have a 512kbps lan connection but the problem is from past month i am getting very low download speed as low as 3kBps or 15-20 kBps instead of 60- 64kBps normal.i was exhausted complaining the service provider atlast he send a person to check.after checking he says the system is affected with virus and from their part there is no problem.
i checked with norton antivirus 2011
spyware doctor and
avast antivirus
for possible threats.but found none.but still the speed is slow.

They say they cannot see my mac address.

kindly can anyone please tell me what is the problem here.

Sarath

iDota
Did you check with any other PC? Like getting a friends lappy and checking your net connection speeds?

It could be a virus attack but that is what they would say without verifying it too, so cant go with their word.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like getting a friends lappy and checking your net connection speeds?
That won't work cuz friends' lappy's network interface would have a different MAC address. And cable connections are generally tied to MAC.

He should rather try Ubuntu Live CD on his own machine and try to get Internet/Network working.

R2K

In the Zone
I also had this kinda problem but it was due to increased noise level on telephone line.
When they replaced the cables it got rectified...:D
But i have no idea abt the lan internet

Looks like the ISP is throttling you due to overusage of the FUP.

i don't think they would decrease the speed to such an extend anyway...

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Somehow get to the following Dialog box in Windows:
*johnsonyip.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/DNS-settings-in-Windows-7-network-connection-network-card.jpg
My network places --> Right click on Local Area Connection --> Properties --> IPv4 Properties. (rough instructions)

Boot into Ubuntu Live CD. (I hope it is 10.10 or later) --> Go to Network Manager and from there you will head to the following Dialog Box. Enter the same settings as you have in Windows.

*i.imgur.com/OeEpS.png

sygeek

Technomancer
i don't think they would decrease the speed to such an extend anyway...
Very few ISPs limited to local regions sometimes do this, he hasn't mentioned the ISP so I thought this might be the case. Someone on the other forum encountered the exact same problem with the above cause like a few hours ago.

That won't work cuz friends' lappy's network interface would have a different MAC address. And cable connections are generally tied to MAC.
Really? I've been able to connect multiple devices via LAN and get the internet working successfully on my connection.

OP
quan chi

quan chi

mortal kombat
Very few ISPs limited to local regions sometimes do this, he hasn't mentioned the ISP so I thought this might be the case. Someone on the other forum encountered the exact same problem with the above cause like a few hours ago.

Really? I've been able to connect multiple devices via LAN and get the internet working successfully on my connection.

ico is right! mac address will change.as i have to dial to connect.otherwise it will say access not permitted or username and password dosen't match.

Top Bottom