problem with partitioning in suse

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarincv

Journeyman
I have openSUSE running on a 20 GB ext partition... I need to resize this and create a new partition of 10 GB out of this 20 GB to install a difft distro of linux.... Can I do it without formatting the drive???

Rahim

Married!
^Yes you can!! Find the partitioning tool under YaST.
For all your partitioning needs GParted Live CD is the best. Its easy and very intuitive.
There will be no problem.

Hope you dont go on distro hopping as i have done. Most of them are similar and are not radically different. Popular distros like Ubuntu or its derivatives, openSUSE, Mandriva, Fedora,etc., are all nearly as good as the other. Just pick 2 of them and start learning Linux.

Last edited:
OP
S

sarincv

Journeyman
in the partitioning tool, there is an option to resize but when tried its saying the partition with mountpoint / cannot be resized....

The problem with openSUSE is its very slow.... when I drag and drop the windows, its hanging in between... when scrolling down, the same thing occurs... Does Fedora come with KDE Desktop?

I can do this without losing any data rite????

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
You cannot resize a mounted partition. Since "/" root partition is where opernsuse resides, it cannot be un-mounted at the same time.
Use GParted Live CD and you wont face any problem.

Yes Fedora comes with KDE, though the default is GNOME.

Rahim

Married!
Fedora DVD contains both KDE and GNOME and you can choose which DE to install. Dont know much of this Omega stuff :)

Get Fedora 9 KDE Live CD *fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom