PROBLEM WITH NTFS AND FAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stone cold

Broken In
hey :) guys its a deep shit :oops: i have jst bought my 80gb hard disk 7 mnths ago and now its showing sm problem that it automaticaly makes my c: partition to ntfs :x and dosent shows other drives. i hve dual boot so in d: drive every thing is ok. but in d: also when i try to format c drive it shows only ntfs and 76000gb of partition. :roll: plz tell me what the prob is?

technoteen

Journeyman
please be more informative about problem
are both the boot working?
which are the two os?
you are facing problem in which os?

theraven

Technomancer
what the h3ll did u just say ?
automatically makes c: ntfs ?
u have dual boot where are ur 2 os's ? both on same hdd diff partitions or diff hdds ?
what u mean everything is ok in d:?

and 76000 GB ?????? how did that happen
plz be mroe specific abt ur problem

busyanuj

In the zone
stone cold said:
hey :) guys its a deep **** :oops: i have jst bought my 80gb hard disk 7 mnths ago and now its showing sm problem that it automaticaly makes my c: partition to ntfs :x and dosent shows other drives. i hve dual boot so in d: drive every thing is ok. but in d: also when i try to format c drive it shows only ntfs and 76000gb of partition. :roll: plz tell me what the prob is?

80 GB of hard disk is actually equal to 76000 MB only, because the hard disk manufacturers use 1000 (i.e. they take 1 mb = 1000 kilobytes) in calculating disk space while actually the disk space is calculated by Operating systems using 1024. (i.e. 1 mb = 1024 kilobytes)

As far as I know FAT32 file system does not support partitions as big as 76 GB, maybe that's why you don't get the option to format the partition into FAT32.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
i presume
c: = win98 - fat32
d: = xp/2k - ntfs

Answer these
- which brand of hdd
- did u install partition magic or anyother s/w which fiddles with partitions ;)
- how did u try to format the drive ? xp recovery console (rec-con)from cd or win98 boot cd
- have u tried fdisk /mbr
- in xp rec-con run diskpart to see what fs the partitions have
- run fixboot c:
- run fix mbr
- use the format option in rec-con to format c: in fat32
- after ur prob is fixed go to manufacturs site and download disk manager . make a floppy and boot with it , u have an option to backup ur mbr , use it to create a backup , if u have the same prob or something worse later u can restore mbr that way .

OP
S

stone cold

Broken In
klinux said:
i presume
c: = win98 - fat32
d: = xp/2k - ntfs

Answer these
- which brand of hdd
- did u install partition magic or anyother s/w which fiddles with partitions ;)
- how did u try to format the drive ? xp recovery console (rec-con)from cd or win98 boot cd
- have u tried fdisk /mbr
- in xp rec-con run diskpart to see what fs the partitions have
- run fixboot c:
- run fix mbr
- use the format option in rec-con to format c: in fat32
- after ur prob is fixed go to manufacturs site and download disk manager . make a floppy and boot with it , u have an option to backup ur mbr , use it to create a backup , if u have the same prob or something worse later u can restore mbr that way .

LET ME EXPLAIN U GUYS. I HAVE WIN2003 ON C: DRIVE WIN XP ON D: DRIVE ONE DAY I DNT KNOWW HOW WHEN I STARTED WIN 2000 I SAW ONLY C: DRIVE ON WHICH IT IS INSTALLED THEN I BOOT FRM D: i.e XP & I SAW ALL THE DRIVES THERE & IN THE FORMAT OPTION OF C DRIVE FROM XP I SAW THAT IS SHOWS THE SPACE AS 76000 GB INSTEAD OF 10 GB AND ONLY IN NTFS FORMAT NOT FAT32.

HDD IS SEAGAT 80GB BARACCUDA

I USED P.M GIVEN IN THE BOOTABLE CD OF WIN 2003
I
TRIED EVERYTHING FDISK SHOWS ONKNOWN FORMAT AND SHOWS 76000BG OF PARTITION ONLY.

I TRIED D.M ALSO PARTITION MAGIC ALSO THEY TOO SHOW THE SAME RESULT.

TELL ME HOW TO USE OTHER MBR COMMANDS. TRIED fdisk/mbr

ice

In the zone
U could prolly do a low level format, then load xp and be nice and happy.

Btw fat 32's limitation is 137GB i think :D

[deXter]

Journeyman
Well the reason why you are getting that error is because of the fact that FAT32 is limited to 137 GB (as ice says), and your HDD is reporting 76000GB. Which confused the hell outta windows and messed up an already messed up drive.

Its obvious that your partition table has been corrupted. If you knew the exact sizes of your partitions, then you could edit your partition table manually and correct the problem. However thats too complex and risky.

So the easiest way I would suggest is to take a backup of all your important files to some other drive (you may want to borrow your friends drive) or onto CDs

Then do a low level format as ice suggested.. I'd recommend Either iolo's DriveScrubber or Active@ Kill Disk.

Then install windows as usual after the low level format.

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/dextersgenius/signature1.gif

OP
S

stone cold

Broken In
[deXter said:
]Well the reason why you are getting that error is because of the fact that FAT32 is limited to 137 GB (as ice says), and your HDD is reporting 76000GB. Which confused the hell outta windows and messed up an already messed up drive.

Its obvious that your partition table has been corrupted. If you knew the exact sizes of your partitions, then you could edit your partition table manually and correct the problem. However thats too complex and risky.

So the easiest way I would suggest is to take a backup of all your important files to some other drive (you may want to borrow your friends drive) or onto CDs

Then do a low level format as ice suggested.. I'd recommend Either iolo's DriveScrubber or Active@ Kill Disk.

Then install windows as usual after the low level format.

sorry guys did i wrote 76000gb. instead it is 76000mb i.e according to hard disk it is 80 gb but the prob is c: is not showing other parttitions which i created it takes all partitions in 1 i.e only c: . 1 more thing IN ANALYSING C I FOUND OUT THAT THE PARTITION HAS TURNED IN TO FAT 32X DONT KNOW WHAT TYPE OF PARTITION IS THIS . OR IF THIS A HARD DISK ERROR. SO THAT I SHALL GET IT REPLACED.
PLEASE HELP

[deXter]

Journeyman
Theres no need to get it replaced. Just backup all your data and do a low level format and reinstall. Its just some partition table problem thats all..

OP
S

stone cold

Broken In
[deXter said:
]Theres no need to get it replaced. Just backup all your data and do a low level format and reinstall. Its just some partition table problem thats all..

THANX :D BUT THIS IS THE SECOND :roll: TIME I GOT THIS ERROR WITHIN 2 DAYS AFTER RE FORMATTING AND CERATING PARTITIONS BOTH TIME THE PROB WAS SAME :cry:

[deXter]

Journeyman
Hmm.. Did you do a low level format? I suggest you use iolo's DriveScrubber to do the low level format.

Then use SpinRite 6 on a full level 5 (2nd option on the main menu), to check your drive for defects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom