Problem with audio playback

Status
Not open for further replies.

faraaz

Evil Genius
Hi, as of two hours ago I'm getting a weird problem with my laptop.

Every time I double click a song, I get the following error message:

Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error code: 88780078

This is pretty weird because I have done nothing but leave it on and let some stuff download...an hour ago songs were playing perfectly fine!

Anyway, I went into the Sounds option in Control Panel, but there it says no Audio devices selected...

Help?

Edit: I took a few screenshots to show you what I'm talking about!

*i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/oxblood420/audioprblmscrnshot.jpg
*i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/oxblood420/audioprblmscrnshot2.jpg

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
well whats ur mother board model ??

suggestion would download the Updated driver from Motherbaord makers web site or if u cant then simply reinstall the drivers from The motherboard driver CD...

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
>Start
>Control Panel
>Sounds & Audio Devices icon >Audio tab
>In 'Sound playback' make sure the 'Default device' drop-down menu shows your Sound card.

If your sound card is not shown in the drop down menu, then you need to install and update your sound card drivers. Install corresponding sound driver (of ur PC brand). Also a directX update may be checked out.

Click Start>click run>type 'dxdiag' you should be able to see system info. Checkout other tabs. It also includes Sounds and devices.

Last edited:
OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
*i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/oxblood420/audioprob3.jpg

Is this what you were talking about?? I can't select anything man, the options are all grayed out!

Also, I ran dxdiag...here's the screenshot for DirecSound test:

*i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/oxblood420/audioprob4.jpg

@Kiran: Why would this happen but?? An hour ago it was playing perfectly fine! I close Winamp, go sleep for an hour, come back and its all ****ed up! :( Okay, so how do I update drivers? Just go to Dell and download??

@Saurav: Dude...I dunno how to check what motherboard model I have. I'm on a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop, in case that helps!

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Your sound driver PCI\\VEN 8086 is corrupted.
>Try 'Sytem Restore' to the earlier time.
>If still problem persists, you need to download and install the Driver.

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
@Sourabh: No, I had not run any DOS programs...I was running my torrent client and went to sleep for an hour.

When I came back, it was all FUBAR'd...its fine now thanks to Kiran tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom