Problem in Sharing Folders in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuhupihu

Broken In
I am using Win98se and having other computers working in network using WinXp. The data is centrallay stored on 98 PC and folders are shared for individual users with password. Any user can access its folders from any PC by the required (readonly/full access) password. It's is very simple and safe.
But now I want to update the system to WinXP from Win98se as few software don't support 9x. But In WinXp I cannot give password to folders when sharing. I can give rights to different users, but I don't want to create different users, but want to share folders by just passwords. Can any one help

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
i don't think that can be done , u hv to disable simple file sharing n then create give right to users , also u sould set up an LDAP server and let all users authenticate centrally from there if u hv a large number of PC's n Users.

i'm not a networking guy so really can't help you after this coz i haven't ever myself set up an LDAP server :)

OP
K

kuhupihu

Broken In
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
i don't think that can be done , u hv to disable simple file sharing n then create give right to users , also u sould set up an LDAP server and let all users authenticate centrally from there if u hv a large number of PC's n Users.

i'm not a networking guy so really can't help you after this coz i haven't ever myself set up an LDAP server :)

I had disable simple file sharing, but still I can't give simple sharing password to folders as in Win9se. I think WinXp is more advance and feature rich than Win98se, there should be something, but I can't find it out. I hope someone networking expert may help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom